• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bjack99
    Career Member
    • Mar 11, 2008

Sculpey III

Hello

I am trying to use sculpey for the first team. It seems to be tacky and that is making it hard to work with. am i doing something wrong? i have never sculpted before so I may be missing something obvious.
  • spiderrogue
    new mego-er
    • Feb 3, 2008

i used to use that stuff..but then i found just regular sculpy and walmart....it's like 5 bucks for a huge chunk of it. and i think that a lot of people on here use aves apoxy or milliput(which i have used before too...)....i think that it's just a matter of personal preference....
    as for the sticky part...use water dabbed on your hands or working tools...that helps a lot...and knead it around a bit before you use it....that helps too...
    anyone else got more suggestions?

Comment

• bjack99
      Career Member
      • Mar 11, 2008

thank you. that helped.

Comment

• Cadmus Customs
        • Dec 30, 2007

Some people sculpt using latex gloves to avoid fingerprints. I just dampen my fingers with water (or saliva) and gently run it over a rough area and that smooths it out. Once finished, I dab a Q-Tip in rubbing alcohol and smooth it out some more before I cure it.

Joel

Comment

• Cosmicman
          Permanent Member
          • Jul 12, 2005

I usually apply the sculptey to the figure and bake it with one of those long grill lighters, section by section.
          Then after I apply the paint only after the sculptey is completely hard (I am sure I will get a Beavis and Butthead chuckle somewhere for that one).

One thing you can do is paint it too early (before it is all the way baked). Make sure that lighter bakes that stuff completely hard. I have had to redo some sculptey heads after the paint would never dry completely because I didn't bake the sculptey all the way through.

My brother makes custom lead/pewter game pieces by adding extra stuff for the pieces out of sculptey. One time he stuck the whole figure in the oven for a few minutes on a metal cookie sheet. He waited a few minutes and opened the oven and it was a big puddle of silver liquid on the cookie sheet. Ha Ha

Then I came up with the apply the sculptey to the fgure and bake it to the lighter trick.
          Last edited by Cosmicman; Jul 26, '08, 12:08 PM.
          More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• spiderrogue
            new mego-er
            • Feb 3, 2008

i usually boil mine in a pot of water...it's a lot easier then baking it...back in the day, i used to use a heat gun to do it..but that sucked...

Comment

• bjack99
              Career Member
              • Mar 11, 2008

thank you all for your help.

Comment

• ctc
                Fear the monkeybat!
                • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I use Super Sculpey a lot. It's not very sticky, and as long as you keep it cool it'll last FOREVER! (I'm still using a block I bought over ten years ago.) I use it for the base of a lot of my heads. It doesn't hold detail so good, but it's cheap. I have a small toaster oven I use specificly for baking Sculpey.

Once it's hardened and cooled I use epoxy putty for the detail work. (Epoxy putty DOES hold detail real well, but it's expensive.)

Don C.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎