X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

The Flash:Rebirth

Similiar to what they did a few years back on "Green Lantern:Rebirth", Geof Johns and Ethan Van Sciver head to Central City in early '09 to do a mini-series called "The Flash:Rebirth"....should be a great ride if it's anything "GL:Rebirth".
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Oh yeah....and it's Barry Allen!

Comment

• Bionic Joe
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 10, 2006

Yes, That just made my day heck it made my year

Comment

• aquatroy
        Permanent Member
        • Apr 28, 2002

Barry? Unless it's just a retelling of the origin to better fit it into current continuity, then I'm not sure why this needs to be done. I like Barry showing up under very special circumstances, but he needs to stay dead.
        Hey! Check out the pictures.

Comment

• The Toyroom
          The Packaging King
          • Dec 31, 2004

Barrys IS back and this mini-series is supposed to relaunch him into the modern day DC Universe as well as explain the fate/role of the rest of the Flashes. I think DC is trying to revitalize the property (considered one of their "Big 5"- Supes, Bats,WW,GL, Flash) and utilize all of the speedsters in some format instead of the usual exchange of one dying/disappearing and another taking his place. One of the interesting things I think they're going to do is show how much Barry has missed in the time he's been gone...get him up to speed so to speak. Like for instance- he's never met the Tim Drake Robin. And they also mentioned something about expanding his role as a police scientist, especially since CSI stuff is comonplace today and that was never really touched upon before as far as his character went. With Johns and Sciver on board, I'm excited...if it was anyone else I'd be skeptical.

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

And next it will be Martian Manhunter Rebirth
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Cosmicman
              Permanent Member
              • Jul 12, 2005

It is my understanding after reading some spoilers that Jay Garrick is going to bite the big one. Wally is going to stay on with Barry. Apparently Wally is going to adopt a some colors in his uniform (probably blue) as a tribute to Jay. He'll either look like he did in Kingdom Come or sport his own costume.

Or maybe something like this.

But yes. Barry is back!!
              Last edited by Cosmicman; Jul 25, '08, 11:15 AM.
              More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• knight errant00
                8 Inch Action Figure
                • Nov 15, 2005

Though I smile seeing the old Barry costume (literally) and I love th old character, and think the CSI angle is a great one for him, I think he needs to remain dead in the DC continuity.

It was brave to kill of a major character and astonishingly consistent of them to leave him gone for what, like the last 25 years. I like the idea of at least one kid sidekick getting to fulfill the obvious apprentice role of a sidekick and taking over for the fallen hero, and they generally did a great job sowing wally growing into the part.

Plus, it gave you a fallen hero for th continuity, a sense that *maybe* a hero really could die in one of the gazillion life-and-death battles they all face issue after issue. And I kinda liked Barry getting to be the sainted hero who died before his time, and example to everyone and for everyone to remember (not like they tried to do to poor Hal jordan!).

Bringing him back, even in a good story, just cheapens the effect he had on the continuity.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                  The Packaging King
                  • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by knight errant00
                  Bringing him back, even in a good story, just cheapens the effect he had on the continuity.
                  Yeah but DC continuity has been all over the place the last several years that I wonder if the point is moot

Comment

• jwyblejr
                    galactic yo-yo
                    • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by knight errant00
                    Though I smile seeing the old Barry costume (literally) and I love th old character, and think the CSI angle is a great one for him, I think he needs to remain dead in the DC continuity.

It was brave to kill of a major character and astonishingly consistent of them to leave him gone for what, like the last 25 years. I like the idea of at least one kid sidekick getting to fulfill the obvious apprentice role of a sidekick and taking over for the fallen hero, and they generally did a great job sowing wally growing into the part.

Plus, it gave you a fallen hero for th continuity, a sense that *maybe* a hero really could die in one of the gazillion life-and-death battles they all face issue after issue. And I kinda liked Barry getting to be the sainted hero who died before his time, and example to everyone and for everyone to remember (not like they tried to do to poor Hal jordan!).

Agreed. And I'm going to throw in the fact it took them however long for Wally to step out of Barry's shadow. And they go and muck it all up with this.

Comment

• Bionic Joe
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 10, 2006

What it is is sales, Wally is not selling so they tried Bart and his sales were worse so Wally came back but with poor sales, The return of Hal was a hugh seller, Hence the return of Barry by the same team that returned Hal. If Wally was selling then Barry would remain died

Comment

• jds1911a1
                        Alan Scott is the best GL
                        • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by Wrathdemon
                        It is my understanding after reading some spoilers that Jay Garrick is going to bite the big one. Wally is going to stay on with Barry. Apparently Wally is going to adopt a some colors in his uniform (probably blue) as a tribute to Jay. He'll either look like he did in Kingdom Come or sport his own costume.

Or maybe something like this.

But yes. Barry is back!!
                        http://www.collectortimes.com/2003_03/barry1.jpg
                        I loved this look for the 30th century flash in the tv special #1 (thanks to hyperbora I didn't have to scan it
                        http://www.hyperborea.org/flash/bigimages/fox-old.jpg

Comment

• jds1911a1
                          Alan Scott is the best GL
                          • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by jds1911a1
                          I loved this look for the 30th century flash in the tv special #1 (thanks to hyperbora I didn't have to scan it
                          http://www.hyperborea.org/flash/bigimages/fox-old.jpg
                          make that 50th anniv special

Comment

• BlackKnight
                            The DarkSide Customizer
                            • Apr 16, 2005

Well ,... If Jonns is doing it,.. I will chime in,.. & I do enjoy the character of the Flash with his Rouge Villianry,. I am sure it will be good.

However Like I stated before,.. Wally has always pretty Much been my Flash, whenever I read abook with the character in it,.. So the character of Barry Allen, has pretty much little impact on me other than the "Idea" that He was once the Flash in a Galaxy Far....Far.... Away..... A ... Long Time... Ago...
                            ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• aquatroy
                              Permanent Member
                              • Apr 28, 2002

That's a great point. Barry's been dead for, what, 25 years. That's got to be at least 4 or 5 generations of comic book readers. How many kids even know who Barry Allen is? If the Flash isn't selling it's not because of Wally it's because the stories haven't been any good.
                              I do have to admit, though. Barry Allen in CSI Central City is interesting.
                              Hey! Check out the pictures.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎