X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

The Dark Knight. My take

I started to post this in Random Axe's thread, but I pretty much disagree with most of his points, and I didn't want to come across as usurping his thread, so I started my own.

This is all my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

In every conceivable way, this movie is superior to Batman Begins, which was a near perfect movie anyway. It's AS good as the hype, and maybe more. Ledger is indeed fantastic as the Joker. Everyone turns in great performances though. I don't really see Ledger as being above the other actors, he just had the more flamboyant character. You can't take your eyes off him, even though you are afraid of what he'll do next. Comparing him to Nicholson is like comparing Nicholson to Cesar Romero. They are totally different takes, but this is the first to really get across the menace of the Joker. He is truly distrubing and frightening.

This movie is DENSE. Tons of plot, character development, and of course action. I thought it was very well-paced myself, and up against last year's big Super Hero flick Spider-Man 3, which also had a ton of stuff to go through in 2 1/2 hours, Dark Knight does not seem too busy, or too rushed like that picture did. It's like a whole season of a really great crime drama in the time of a 2 1/2 hour movie, but you won't feel cheated by any of it, and you won't want it to end.

I am so glad I didn't read many spoilers on this. Things will happen that you do not expect, but they make perfect sense.

I thought the action and effects were "better lit" than in Begins. One problem I did have with that movie was it was a tad TOO dark, visually, and some of the action was hard to follow. I thought the Bat-pod got a pretty good spotlight, and Batman's takedown of the various thugs was much more entertaining this time.

Not for kids at all, I don't think. My son won't be seeing it. The Joker is far too disturbing, and honestly the plot and storyline will go totally over most kids heads.

To me, this movie is so beyond most other super hero flicks, its not even fair to put them up to this. It's like a Greek tragedy with a guy in a rubber mask. I'm not trying to overhype it, but I honestly feel it transcended the whole lot of what has come before. Kind of like the feel that Superman Returns was going after, without the off-putting elements that people had a hard time with.

I don't see how any fan of Batman could be disappointed in this. Go see it. I'm going again tomorrow!

Chris
    sigpic
  • Random Axe
    The Voice of Reason
    • Apr 16, 2008

Hey, Chris. You can ursurp me anytime, I won't take offense.

Obviously you liked this movie more than I did, which is great. I hope this breaks some serious box-office records. Hardcore Batman fans will like this more than casual fans such as myself. I'm glad you thought so highly of it. The success of this DC movie means others will follow.

Your review is excellent and brings out many points I neglected. THat was good reading.

Scott
    I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• spaceace35
      Career Member
      • Feb 1, 2008

another good review
      i might have to break my 18 years of boycotting the movie theaters to see this one
      Rockin Rebels

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

I'm VERY happy to read Your review Chris...because I've come to value Your opinion GREATLY! If You liked it that much...it's EXCELLENT news indeed!!
        sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I'm VERY happy to read Your review Chris...because I've come to value Your opinion GREATLY! If You liked it that much...it's EXCELLENT news indeed!!
          Thanks Bat. I appreciate the vote of confidence!

Hey, is it just me, or is that Jim Lee artwork that flashes up on the screen during the "DC" branding at the beginning of the movie?

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Raydeen1
            Persistent Member
            • May 23, 2008

Hey, can someone PM me about how Harvey gets scarred? I just read something that I didn't like the sound of and I'm curious.

Comment

• chawks08
              • Jun 1, 2008

I really liked it, like you said it didn't seem rushed at all like Spiderman 3 trying to get everything in. And not so dark visually so you can see what's going on (one of my gripes with the first Bale Batman). Ledger as the Joker was incredible, more convincing & psychotic than Nicholson. I liked how he was a force of nature or chaos if you will - just there to keep the establishment honest. At first (spoiler) I didn't like that he didn't fall in the acid vat, etc. & it was just makeup, but it was cool how he just madeup origins for his mouth scars. The actor who played Harvey Dent/Twoface was great too - the tragic hero.

Won't be taking my little ones to see - I think the oldest might be okay with The Joker visually, but Twoface visually will be Two-much (pun intended) for both.

Rest of the cast does a great job too. Bale is tip top again - one gripe (only gripe of the movie): I can't stand his Batman growl/voice. It is way too forced! It really bothers me - this voice would sound too forced if he was playing Sabretooth in a movie!

I'm sure everyone noticed that they never showed Barbara Gordon (Jrs) face - wonder why?

Comment

• Captain
                Fighting the good fight!
                • Jun 17, 2001

I havent seen this yet...waiting for the crowds to die down, but I am concerned over one element everyone repeats..This movie isnt for kids. I'm glad its a great film, but am really disapointed that they have taken a property that was created for kids in the first place and ran it far into adults only territiory.
                Kids today need heroes!...Maybe even more so than our generation did. I really shudder to think what the world of fiction will grow into in the next few years based on the success of this film. I'm really concerned that the comics and cartoons will follow this darker tone, much as they did when the 89' Batman came out...only this time the bar has been moved higher.
                Whats next...turning Santa into a Hugh Hefner-esque character?
                "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
                  Formerly known as Del
                  • Dec 12, 2004

When Batman was created he was actually a dark character, not the campy one from the Sixties and the TV show. Not even the cool, dark but fun Batman from the animated series. In his earliest appearances, he killed people. I've read Golden Age stories where he shot them, allowed them to fall to their deaths, and hung them from airplanes. I wasn't there, so I don't know if these stories were intended for kids. But Batman was definitely violent.
                  Current mainstream superhero comics aren't written for kids either. There are some, like Tiny Titans or some of the Spiderman titles. But with the recent events in the DC Universe, such as 52 and Final Crisis, I would not allow my young children to read regular superhero books (if I had any). Wonder Woman snapped a guy's neck. Black Adam put his hand through a guy's face. Superboy Prime tore Wildebeast in half and decapitated Pantha.
                  Kids do like comics, but not necessarily the same ones we did as kids.
                  With the rise of direct marketing and comic book stores, mainstream comics are being aimed at adults. Kids seem to know Batman and other heroes from cartoons, toys, videogames, and commercials now. The animated shows were great for kids, and if they wanted to make more movies of these, I'd encourage everyone to take their kids to see them. But movies such as Batman are aimed at the audience who is reading the regular Batman and Detective Comics, which have also been quite dark lately. The one gripe I can understand about the content of this movie is putting the action figures in the toy aisle. I don't have a solid answer to that. Maybe just telling them "No, this Batman isn't meant for kids."
                  As for heroes, why would you want Batman as a hero for you child? He's cool as hell, but he's a guy who dresses up and commits violent acts. It might be justice, but it's still against the law. Not really someone you want your child to strive to be like. He's also fictional. Heroes should be people that kids admire and are inspired by. Find real people to be heroes to kids. Yourself as a parent, uncle, or neighbor. Teachers. Even some sports heroes are better examples for kids to follow than Batman.
                  *Edited to add that Batman started to become darker long before 1989. Read Denny O'Neal and Neal Adams' run that started in the 70s. Or Jim Starlin and Jim Aparo, such as "10 Nights of the Beast" featuring the KGBeast, or "The Cult." There's also the Dark Knight stories by Frank Miller.
                  OK, Sorry to hijack Chris' thread. Back to his excellent review.
                  Last edited by Bizarro Amy; Jul 19, '08, 7:47 PM. Reason: Final, not Ultimate Crisis. What was I thinking?
                  Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
                  https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
                  http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• The Bat
                    Batman Fanatic
                    • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                    Thanks Bat. I appreciate the vote of confidence!

Hey, is it just me, or is that Jim Lee artwork that flashes up on the screen during the "DC" branding at the beginning of the movie?

Chris

You're welcome! And You're quite correct!! It's Jim Lee's Artwork....I'd know it anywhere!
                    sigpic

Comment

• spaceace35
                      Career Member
                      • Feb 1, 2008

YouTube - The Dark Knight- Joker Interrogation Scene Spoof
                      Rockin Rebels

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎