Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to buy a Game System but haven't a clue- HELP!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave Mc
    Administrator
    • Oct 20, 2002

Want to buy a Game System but haven't a clue- HELP!

Okay, so I want to buy a game system for my son and I to screw around with. The last game system (besides PC games) I owned was my Atari back in the day, so I really have no idea what to buy.

I know new stuff comes out what seems like weekly, and some you have to refinace your house to buy. I have no clue what is good. I know the Wii system is new, but it also is expensive. I was looking at the XBox360, that seems reasonably prices, but I also don't want to buy something I can't get new games for.

I'd love to buy something decent yet affordable. Something my son and I can have fun with, and not have to replace next month.

Any advise would be appreciated.
  • andawaymego
    Permanent Member
    • Oct 24, 2002

If you want it for you and your son then the most fun you'll probably have is with the Wii. You could snag one on Ebay between $300 and $330 if you really stay on top of it. Most go for around $350 total but you WILL get lucky.
    They sell for $250 in the store. So with tax it's about $270. Not such a big difference...

The sports games it comes with is really cool and fun. You'll have to buy a second remote if you want to play against your son. So if you do so, buy the variety remote package. It comes with a disc with 9 more games (table tennis, racing, pool, etc...) for only ten bucks more.

If you want more info email me.
    Gamester Of Triskellion

Comment

• Merlyn1976
      Fist of Khonshu
      • Mar 29, 2005

Nintendo is and has always been a more family oriented platform....

The Wii is a great system...a little on the high side but definetly worth it....

The Xbox360 is more of an adult/teen platform....

If you want a system thats affordable and games readily available(they don't make anymore but they made ALOT) I'd recommend the Nintendo Gamecube....
      "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

In the Southeast Pacific, lies the sunken city of R'Leyh. There lies C'thulhu waits to return to our world with the other Great Old Ones. A hideous creature of enormous size and alien power, it waits for it's time to return patiently. For it has all the time in the world while it waits for the stars.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

I have all the systems, so I feel I can be fairly objective. If I could only keep one, it would be the XBOX 360. Best graphics and library of games and an unmatched online service. You do have to pay $50 a year for the online multi-player. All the other online features are free and fairly extensive.

I like the Wii. I really do. But in all honesty, so far the graphics really do suck. Plus the motion sensing control really isn't the best for all types of games. I was just playing Sonic and the Secret Rings the other day and thinking how much better it would be if I could just use the control stick to move him instead of wiggling the Wiimote back and forth.

No online to speak of other then downloading old games.

The PS3 is nice. But beastly expensive and so far all the third party games look and play better on the 360. Resistance Fall of Man is really good but probably the only game worth owning so far. Untold Legends is also pretty good. But not next gen good. Online is bare bones. But it is free.

I guess it really depends on the age of the child. Under 10, definitely the Wii. But DON'T pay ebay prices. They are starting to show up in greater numbers. Otherwise, the XBOX 360. The PS3 is really just too expensive right now for what is available for it unless you really want a Blu-Ray player. Then it becomes a better deal.

The Prices

Wii-$250

XBOX- $300 for the core and $400 for the premium. The core does need a memory card to save the games.

PS3- $600
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• MegoSteve
          Superman's Pal
          • Jun 17, 2005

How old is your son, Dave? If he's younger than around ten, I'd recommend the Wii. The tricky part is finding the darned thing, but the key there is just keeping your eyes peeled on the Sunday ads. When you see one advertised, show up about an hour before the store opens and you should be able to snag one. The problem with the Wii is that the games so far don't have much depth, but they're still a BOATLOAD of fun. If you get this, pick up Wii Play, which includes an extra Wii remote (which you'll need) plus some minigames.

The other nice things about the Wii is being able to buy a ton of old console titles, and being able to browse the web. I love being able to log into YouTube from my living room to show a video I saw online. (You need to have a router to do these things.)

The problem with the Wii, as an older guy, is that the games don't have as much depth. It's unmatched as far as a fun, social, multiplayer console aimed at all ages, but to sit there by yourself and play a Wii game... eh. It's a little bit lacking.

The 360 is easily my favorite of the current consoles, but it's not without flaws. I think it's a little more grown up than what you are probably looking for and I probably wouldn't buy one for a child under 10 or 12. There just aren't as many kid-friendly games as there are on the Wii, there's no web browsing (***?), no built in wireless, and it's a little more expensive than the Wii is. I do love the game library, though... lots of great titles for me, and they're finally starting to come down to cheap gamer levels.

Oh, and you can buy more arcade games online with the 360 like you can with the Wii, too, but they're "graphically updated." In some cases it's good (the newly released Pac Man Championship Edition is amazing), but in others, it's just a little weird (seeing modern explosions in Time Pilot is too jarring for me).

One really nice feature is the ability to download demos of new games for free, so you can try them before you buy them. Not all games are available, but many are, and they can be as entertaining as a rental.

I know it's not current generation, but for someone who hasn't had a game system in a long time, you absolutely could not get more bang for your gaming buck than buying a Playstation 2. A brand new one, at $129.99, costs about half of what you'd spend on a Wii. There are hundreds if not thousands of cheap and plentiful PS2 games and accessories falling off the shelves at every used game store, and it's still outselling the PS3 and the 360, so you should have no trouble finding games for it for years. The other systems don't have the depth of sub $20 and sub $10 games that the PS2 does. And since you haven't owned a system since the Atari, I really see no reason for you to spend tons of money right off the bat, because anything you buy is going to be about a hundred times better than what you had. If you just want to dip your toe into gaming waters, buy a PS2 and enjoy it for a while, then upgrade to a current gen system if you find out you are really into gaming.
          Last edited by MegoSteve; Jun 12, '07, 5:59 PM.

Comment

• jwyblejr
            galactic yo-yo
            • Apr 6, 2006

From what I've heard,the Wii is the system with the least ammount of probelms. The 360 I've heard is suppose to play all of the original XBOX games but Microsoft will allow only certain ones on the 360. I've heard the PS3 has problems playing older games,namely those that run on the PS1. The only problem I've heard with the Wii,other than finding one,is the strap that you are suppose to use.

Comment

• mitchedwards
              Mego Preservation Society
              • May 2, 2003

The PS3 is a nice platform. Plus you get a blue ray DVD player

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
                Stays Crunchy in Milk
                • Aug 2, 2004

I think the Wii is the least expensive. How old is your son? Wii will have the most kids games like Mario and it's got a very fun sports game with it that has bowling, boxing tennis. Seriously we have a Wii and I think it's the most kid friendly. If I was buying for me I'd go 360.
                Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• Dave Mc
                  Administrator
                  • Oct 20, 2002

My son is 8, but he isn't really into a Mario Brothers type stuff. He's bit into games like Jedi Outcast/Academy, Star Wars Battlefront, etc.. Right now he's itching to play the latest Spiderman 3 game. So he's really kind of more into the older games.

It sounds like from what I'm reading, the XBox360 has a little more to offer. The $600 plus PS3 is not an option. I just don't want to pay THAT much. I like the Wii price, but don't really want to have to hunt for the damn thing, which is another plus for the Xbox, I'll probably be able to find it easier since it's not the "latest" thing.

I really appreciate the comments and advice so far.

Comment

• toys2cool
                    Ultimate Mego Warrior
                    • Nov 27, 2006

the wii would be good for him right now,but in a couple of years he will want the ps3 or Xbox,I would go with the xbox now
                    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• ZICA
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by Dave Mc
                      My son is 8, but he isn't really into a Mario Brothers type stuff. He's bit into games like Jedi Outcast/Academy, Star Wars Battlefront, etc.. Right now he's itching to play the latest Spiderman 3 game. So he's really kind of more into the older games.
                      I'd go with a PS2 in your situation. Not only is the system less expensive, but it already has a huge library of games that cover a lot of different gameplay styles. Another plus is that most of the really good games for the system are now sold as "Greatest Hits" which means you can get them for $20.00 or less.

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Dave Mc
                        Okay, so I want to buy a game system for my son and I to screw around with. The last game system (besides PC games) I owned was my Atari back in the day, so I really have no idea what to buy.

I know new stuff comes out what seems like weekly, and some you have to refinace your house to buy. I have no clue what is good. I know the Wii system is new, but it also is expensive. I was looking at the XBox360, that seems reasonably prices, but I also don't want to buy something I can't get new games for.

I'd love to buy something decent yet affordable. Something my son and I can have fun with, and not have to replace next month.

Any advise would be appreciated.
                        No problem Dave, here you go:

the very best for your kid

You can thank me later.

sigpic

Comment

• The Bat
                          Batman Fanatic
                          • Jul 14, 2002

All I can say is, on September 25th.....HALO 3!!!!!!!!!! ONLY on Xbox 360!!! Need I say more?
                          sigpic

Comment

• Dave Mc
                            Administrator
                            • Oct 20, 2002

Heh, thanks Hector But for some reason there is no Spiderman 3 or Star Wars Battlefront in the arcade.

One of the big reasons we're looking is to get NEW games. He normally plays PC games, and there are a bunch out there now on the cheap. But he saved his allowance for two months to get the new Spidey game, bought it, only to find out we don't have the power to play it. My computer is less than a year old.

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
                              Stays Crunchy in Milk
                              • Aug 2, 2004

360 and PS3 are great systems. PS3 (I assume) would be able to play the vast PS2 library, but I believe they start at $600. XBox 360 I think is still $400. Wii which is $250 has Spider-man 3, Marvel Ultimate Alliance (multi player) and most of the other major releases. Also Wii comes with a game. I normally don't like sports games but Wii sports is a blast, trust me on this. It's not just Mario games, plus if you buy the old controllers it plays the Game Cube library. The Wii doesn't have as good graphics, but unless you have a hi-def TV you wont be able to tell the difference.

Keep in mind that whatever you buy you will want an extra controller so that you both can play.
                              Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎