Clear All
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Justice League Satellite Playset

Sneak peek/teaser at a new playset design...the Justice League Satellite:

The Big Front Door...

Left Side and Right Side...

(Just imagine the big door in the middle of the two sides)

Current plans call for this to be as large as The Fortress of Solitude Playset (same fold-out configuration). I'm a big fan of the "Satellite Era" of the JLA and I hope that comes through on this playset.

To be consistent, I went with all artwork by Jose Luis Garcia Lopez. Some of the pics may look familiar as they were used in various DC style guides drawn by JLGL and even on some of the Kenner Super Powers cards. My thinking is that the Satellite Era ends with Firestorm, who joined the team in 1980...so I put this playset at around '82 when some of that artwork was first used in the style guides. Thanks to Rob Kelly of the Aquaman Shrine for his assistance in obtaining some of the artwork for a few of the "fringe" members.

As to the membership depicted...the Satellite Era goes from the original 7 to Firestorm...but I also wanted to include a few folks who could've/should've been inducted back then (and maybe Mego would have eventually made too):
    - Supergirl and Batgirl (yes some duplication with Superman and Batman but if its good enough for Hawkgirl , plus it increases the female population too and they were already Megos)
    - Mera (sorta the same thinking as SG and BG, would've been a perfect extension to the Super Gals line)
    - Captain Marvel/Shazam! (he was already a Mego and just seems like a natural for the JLA as well as additional merchandising opportunities...but somehow he's gotta get off Earth-S!)
    - Plastic Man (Mego did have the license for the Super Stretch figure. He does duplicate Elongated Man a little but he seems to belong. Blame Alex Ross for this way of thinking )

I didn't include Robin if anyone is wondering where he is (with the Teen Titans, duh!) or "honorary" members like Adam Strange, Sargon the Sorcerer or The Phantom Stranger. PS almost made the cut but he didn't look like a runner or a flyer...just a walker ). He may make a cameo inside, still unsure.

Sorry about rambling....just overly excited about this one.

And no Snapper Carr, either!
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!
  • BlackKnight
    The DarkSide Customizer
    • Apr 16, 2005

You Know,... I was Gonna Ask you for that Image of Shazam on a Box.

I love the Super Powers card Images. This looks great Anthony !
    BTW,.. I woulda Went with a Dr. Fate & A Robin over Meria imo.
    ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• megoscott
      Founding Partner
      • Nov 17, 2006

Man. That's so pretty...
      This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• spiderrogue
        new mego-er
        • Feb 3, 2008

if i had the extra cash and the extra room, i would so be all over one of your playsets..even as a stand alone piece...very amazing stuff...

Comment

• The Toyroom
          The Packaging King
          • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by BlackKnight
          You Know,... I was Gonna Ask you for that Image of Shazam on a Box.

I love the Super Powers card Images. This looks great Anthony !
          BTW,.. I woulda Went with a Dr. Fate & A Robin over Meria imo.
          Sorry, J, but Robin wasn't JLA material back then IMO and I never understood how Dr. Fate (a JSAer) made the cut for the Super Powers team. Mera is one of the original Super Queens though and makes for a nice companion to Aquaman (plus she's got those water powers, not just a pretty face).

Comment

• megowgsh
            Customego HoF Curator
            • Nov 19, 2003

Metamorpho, Black Vulcan, Apache Chief, El Dorado and Samurai are needed please
            Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• The Toyroom
              The Packaging King
              • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by megowgsh
              Metamorpho, Black Vulcan, Apache Chief, El Dorado and Samurai are needed please
              Aauuuuugh! It's a JLA Satellite with some Super Powers art (just Shazam and Batman actually)...not an homage to the Super Powers line or those horrible token characters from the Super Friends.

Metamorpho refused to join the JLA back in the Silver Age...so screw 'im!

Comment

• Cadmus Customs
                • Dec 30, 2007

Wow!
                Consider an order placed!
                What goodies are gonna be inside?
                My only suggestion would be to make sure all of the "Big 7" are on the main piece (i.e. move the Martian Manhunter) It's only fitting to have the original 7 on the same piece!
                Looking great!
                Joel

Comment

• censy
                  thread killer
                  • Sep 26, 2007

Gorgeous. I love that you included Mera and left off Snapper : )

Can't wait to see inside.

Chris

Comment

• Meule
                    Verbose Member
                    • Nov 14, 2004

Man, that's gonna be another freaky cool playset
                    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

I think you Fortress of Solitude is fantastic, & this looks like another winner, Anthony! The inclusion of Mera is perfect.

I do like Apache Chief, Samurai, and Black Vulcan in their proper sphere--maybe on a Superfriends playcase?
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Action Martin
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                        Sorry, J, but Robin wasn't JLA material back then IMO and I never understood how Dr. Fate (a JSAer) made the cut for the Super Powers team.
                        Although in the non-canon JLA, Robin was a member of the JLA on the Superfriends tv series and in the Super Powers comic series. I'd include him before Plastic Man.

The door looks great and I can't wait to see how this project develops.
                        Scott

Comment

• The Toyroom
                          The Packaging King
                          • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by Cadmus Customs
                          Wow!
                          Consider an order placed!
                          What goodies are gonna be inside?
                          My only suggestion would be to make sure all of the "Big 7" are on the main piece (i.e. move the Martian Manhunter) It's only fitting to have the original 7 on the same piece!
                          Looking great!
                          Joel
                          One thing I hope to have in this is a working Transporter tube based on the Mego Trek one (how else are you going to get up to a satellite that's 22,300 miles above the earth?).

There will also be the obligatory JLA monitors and computers, a JLA trophy room, sick bay/Red Tornado Diagnostic center, and a few detention cells. Maybe other stuff, depending on how this lays out.

Comment

• Raydeen1
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 23, 2008

That is going to be SWEET!

Comment

• Goblin19
                              Talkative Member
                              • May 2, 2002

I love it so far.

Comment

Working...