X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

G.I. Joe Secret Mission to Spy Island

I don't think Hasbro ever stopped making this set, it's always in parts lots. It was so popular that Power Records made a book and record set about it. I had the record as a kid, it was pretty darn terrific!

Visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • toys2cool
    Ultimate Mego Warrior
    • Nov 27, 2006

uhhh I loved that set,it brings so many cool accessories.I actually like the 1st one with the clothe hat more
    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
      Persistent Member
      • Mar 1, 2005

I never had the actual playset, but I had that book and record. The G.I. Joe book & record sets are without a doubt in my top five most cherished collectibles from childhood! I have all of them and love 'em. Someone on Youtube a while back even took the book & record for "Secret of the Mummy's Tomb" and made an animated video from it. I wish they'd do that with "Spy Island" as well.

Comment

• HardyGirl
        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
        • Apr 3, 2007

Hey cool! I don't have that actual playset, but I have all the components that make it up (including raft and TNT). I also have all the Peter Pan Story records, which I recently recorded for a kid I sit for. I have a TON of GIJoe stuff, even those View-masters that Brian loves so much, (yes, I've seen that site!)

And Doom, the guy who made the Mummy's Tomb video, (I have that one w/ the record soundtrack), was planning on making one for Spy Island until his wife had a baby. He hasn't really done anything w/ his videos lately. He did make one for Black Spider Rendevous. (I don't have that one yet), you should e-mail him and ask him about that one.
        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
          Persistent Member
          • Mar 1, 2005

Very cool, didn't know about that! Thanks for the info, I'll look into that. He did a great job animating the Mummy's Tomb, I thought

Comment

• Sweep Secondhand
            Museum Super Collector
            • May 18, 2007

The Spy Island set was defintely one of the cornerstones of the G.I. Adventure Team lines (and was, itself, basicly a reissue of the Sabotage set from the military years with a different outfit). This set was issued every year until it was slightly retooled for Mike Power to use. I remember buying this new at the local Toy King. Boy those boxes sure seemed big back then!
            - Sweep

Comment

• MegoNinja
              Career Member
              • Feb 7, 2007

lol I have the spy island accessories laying around my bedroom right now as we speak, makes me want to go play with them
              I the Monster Hero

Comment

• Agent of SHIELD
                • May 10, 2007

I also had the book & record, but I'm not sure about the playset.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Why the heck is the Spy Island set 3 bucks more than that Jeep?? Love that set I have the Hasbro repro one from the online store.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• DocDrako
                    Formerly Doc Drako
                    • Nov 11, 2004

GI Joe RoCkS! I love the Adventure Team Stuff especially. The Power Records are really cool too. You can view the books and download the MP3s here

If you've never been there, check out the photo stories. I've been a fan for a very long time. You'll see why if you check it out. Great stuff. Sean even did some Doctor Who photo stories. I don't know how accurate they are, but I like 'em!

"I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST

Comment

• HardyGirl
                      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                      • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by DocDrako
                      GI Joe RoCkS! I love the Adventure Team Stuff especially. The Power Records are really cool too. You can view the books and download the MP3s here

If you've never been there, check out the photo stories. I've been a fan for a very long time. You'll see why if you check it out. Great stuff. Sean even did some Doctor Who photo stories. I don't know how accurate they are, but I like 'em!

That's a great site, isn't it?
                      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Sweep Secondhand
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • May 18, 2007

thunderbolt Why the heck is the Spy Island set 3 bucks more than that Jeep?? Love that set I have the Hasbro repro one from the online store.
                        That jeep is a knock off, it is not Hasbro. That is probably one of the early ones manufactured by Empire toys before they started selling them in sets with a trailer and accessories. It wasn't a bad substitute if you couldn't find a 5 Star one from Hasbro. Mine burned up in accident that took the life of the 6 Million Dollar Man!
                        - Sweep

Comment

• DocDrako
                          Formerly Doc Drako
                          • Nov 11, 2004

Originally posted by HardyGirl
                          That's a great site, isn't it?
                          It sure is. I keep checking for a new story, but nothing yet.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread, already in progress...

Last edited by DocDrako; Jun 14, '07, 3:32 PM. Reason: more info
                          "I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST

Comment

• AJ-Paratrooper
                            Museum Patron
                            • Mar 1, 2008

OK, I see where AJ got his "Secret Agent" look from!....or did AJ's black outfit & watch cap come 1st???
                            DO AND DARE! HE'S EVERYWHERE!

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎