Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cadmus Customs
    • Dec 30, 2007

Tips for sewing a basic bodysuit?

Well, I'm about to break down and try sewing a basic body suit. Any tips? I read the Lando-pants sewing tutorial on CustoMego, but I'm hoping for something a little more body-suit specific.

I had Home-Ec. in 8th grade. That was 1987. That pretty much sums up my sewing experience.

What works for the people that sew their own suits? Where do you begin? I'm trying to make what Doc Mego calls his "standard bodysuit."

Thanks!
    Joel
  • JediJaida
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 14, 2008

Tips for sewing a basic bodysuit?

If you're not too confident sewing machine wise, try doing it by hand with the same kind of stitches used in the basic pants tutorial.

If you're worried about fraying at the sleeves, collar and seams, use seam sealant. It's basically odorless, and dries rather quickly. Just don't use big globs of it.

Are you going for a loose fitting bodysuit, or the tighter one that's in the custom section?
    JediJaida

Comment

• BlackKnight
      The DarkSide Customizer
      • Apr 16, 2005

Originally posted by Cadmus Customs

I had Home-Ec. in 8th grade. That was 1987. That pretty much sums up my sewing experience.

Up Untill about 2 & 1/2 Yrs ago,.. that was all My experience was too. & I gotta C- in the Class. What do they Know ?
      ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
        Stuck in a laundry shoot.
        • Oct 8, 2007

I regularly use the body suit patterns in the museum.
        http://www.megomuseum.com/custom/patterns/2pc.jpg

http://www.megomuseum.com/custom/patterns/2pc.jpg

http://www.megomuseum.com/custom/patterns/iron.jpg

I use the Iron Man one often as a basic suit. It allows for some variation on sleeve and pant color. I don't always use the shoulder pieces, but have modified the legs and sleeves to get cuffs and boots. I don't use a machine yet, but I can guarantee this. You will hate your first suit, and it won't be right, unless you have experience. Every suit I do is better than the last one, and I have remade suits as many as 4 times, before I was satisfied with it. The only way to get better is to do it. Also if you follow the steps on this page you will have better results.

http://www.megomuseum.com/custom/patterns/sewing.jpg

Try something simple first, then move up from there. The basics are essentially the same. Have fun and stop working for a while if you get PO'd at it. It isn't satifying to throw it across the room, cause it isn't heavy.
        Last edited by SUP-Ronin; Jul 14, '08, 6:47 PM.
        "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• jessica
          fortune favors the bold
          • Nov 5, 2007

Use a rounded needle as opposed to a sharp needle (machine or hand stitching), to prevent fiber/interlock weave breakage.
          Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
          Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
          1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
          1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• jessica
            fortune favors the bold
            • Nov 5, 2007

T3T, handsewing or machine sewing? Did you check the size? The smaller sizes go through the fabric like butter. I don't like to use anything larger than size 9s on a machine unless I'm sewing denim. I have used a sharp needle on spandex before, and you can definitely see runs where the needle breaks through the fiber.

To do list:
            1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance

Comment

• johnmiic
              Adrift
              • Sep 6, 2002

One thing I noticed in Doc Mego's suits is the neckline seems to stop short of the base of the neck. It's a feature I don't like a whole lot because except for Superman most superhero costumes don't reveal flesh at the base of the neck.

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                To Fear is Not Logical...
                • Feb 17, 2008

Well, I just sewed my first suit this past weekend for Batman using the Mego pattern for the Bats/Supes suits and I'm pretty proud of it. I did need to use the seam ripper a few times as I sewed the leggings on backward at first, etc. but it wasn't scary to do. I did practice by making a bunch of the shorts first. It's small enough not to get frustrated and quick enough to see an instant result.
                It's all good!

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
                  Stuck in a laundry shoot.
                  • Oct 8, 2007

Originally posted by johnmiic
                  One thing I noticed in Doc Mego's suits is the neckline seems to stop short of the base of the neck. It's a feature I don't like a whole lot because except for Superman most superhero costumes don't reveal flesh at the base of the neck.
                  I have the same problem with some of the patterns. I have since added a small collar to many of my suits, this gives a better effect of the mock turtleneck look like Green lantern and many others should have. Just my personal opinion.

Underdog: Glad it's going well. It beats waiting on suits in the mail,and also helps you personalize your work. You can also try different styles or ideas without wasting anything other than a little time and some thread.
                  "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• jessica
                    fortune favors the bold
                    • Nov 5, 2007

Yes, I love the instant gratification of sewing. I love when the outcome is how you imagined it to be.

To do list:

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎