Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this a common customizers affliction???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ddgaff1132
    Persistent Member
    • Oct 3, 2007

Is this a common customizers affliction???

Here is what I feel is my big problem. I am constantly on the prowl for raw matterial. I hit the fleamarkets goodwill's salvation army's and thrift stores. I might have an idea of what I'm looking for. But end up buying little bits for an on the spot dreamed up custom that never really goes anywhere. (I look for other bits to complete custom D when I should be focusing on custom A and Oh Look here's a part for lets call it custom Q) Know what I mean? I find alot of usable stuff its just that I hit a brick wall somewhere and flounder.
    How many out there share this problem?
    Anyway. So if you see me offering bits up as freebees and you could use em. Feel free to grab em. I'll be sure to pass on the problem with the item that prevented me from carrying through on the custom so you dont get sandbagged too. And who knows you may find a solution or take a totally different path than me. (Also you might be saving my life as I fear a cave-in of all these un-used bits could swallow me like quicksand.)
    Seriously. I think I'm drawn to the thrill of the chase more than completing the customs if that makes any sense. So chime in on this customizers.
    Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
    MEGO MOTORS
  • ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

It gets progressively worse....

The grocery store I go to keeps their old boxes in bins at the front, in case anyone needs 'em. Every time I pass by they look a little more like a Mego scale city to me....

Don C.

Comment

• ddgaff1132
      Persistent Member
      • Oct 3, 2007

I haunt the dollar stores. Thanks to the large scaled weapons included with tiny soldiers figures. I Have an arsonal that could take out a third world country. (If it were Mego scale.)
      Last edited by ddgaff1132; Jul 12, '08, 8:43 AM. Reason: spelling of coarse
      MEGO MOTORS

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
        Stuck in a laundry shoot.
        • Oct 8, 2007

I try very hard not to do that, but when you see an item that would be perfect for another custom, you have to grab it. I just try not to get spread too thin on customs. Then again if you have the space you can work on several at once and always have something to do. I offered nothing....
        "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• GreenLantern9999
          GL of Mego Sector
          • Oct 8, 2007

yeah right now I have like 6 in some stage of progress and two finished customs.
          No body takes pot shots at Lubic! Good Journey

Comment

• The Bat
            Batman Fanatic
            • Jul 14, 2002

Yes...I too suffer from this affiction. It use to be I was always searching for Mego scale Heads...but with all the Shrinking & enlarging the Guys do here...that isn't even an issue anymore. It's a GREAT to to be a Customizer!!
            sigpic

Comment

• jessica
              fortune favors the bold
              • Nov 5, 2007

I have this horrible affliction now. When I go to a clothing store, instead of looking for something for me to wear, I go through the store feeling/sifting for possible material. Lucky for me, I concentrate on Planet of the Apes, so the color palette is minimal. I crave for time to haunt the Goodwill store. It's been about two weeks since my last jaunt there and I think it's time to return but my fabric stash is quite large at the moment and it would be ridiculous to add to it.
              Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
              Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
              1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
              1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• BlackKnight
                The DarkSide Customizer
                • Apr 16, 2005

It gets worse when you get past just the fabric,.. & start looking at the added "knick -knacks" for your figures. I can spend an hr in a craft store just looking at those items... & not realize the time.

When you get into sawing & boosting exsisting figures from lines,.... you can be in a Toy Ile or Ebay for days. lol.
                ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
                  Formerly known as Del
                  • Dec 12, 2004

I have that problem too, because I can't stand to let a piece go in a dollar store, as it might not be there when I'm ready for it. One thing that helps this a little is having boxes or bins to store stuff. I have learned to put that part for a future custom away, and only leave out the things I am working on at the moment. That still means 3 or 4 projects on my desk, but I won't start anything new until those are done. I do find that I benefit from working on multiple projects, because if I get stuck on how to do something or have to wait for a part, I have sometime else to do in the meantime. Keeping busy on customs allows me to keep my momentum and it doesn't take me as long to finish customs.
                  Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
                  https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
                  http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• shellhead
                    museum rustpot
                    • Mar 1, 2007

I've got it so bad ,that I can't even buy cupcakes for my kids without my wife accusing me of an alterior motive.... By the way, those little plastic jack-o-lanterns on the Halloween cupcakes are perfect for your Mego Green Goblin!..... O.K....I'm guilty.
                    Chris

Keepin' it Mego-ey !

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

Yep, always on the lookout for cool junk for customs. Today I was looking at tie tacks at a thrift store.
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• ddgaff1132
                        Persistent Member
                        • Oct 3, 2007

It's odd the places you find bits and pieces. I like to fabricate when possible but finding that odd bit at the thrift store has an air of treasure hunt to it. Especially if it works with a current custom. The Dollar store is good too. Most of there stuff is knock offs of current or items produced from old molds. I swear som accessarys could even be old Mego mold produced.
                        I read in one of the toy collector mag of how they produce some toy lines buy going into storage and mixing together old stock with new items to come up with new toys. (I think it was ToyFare.) Kinda sounds what most of us do. Sometimes I think we out do them on imagining part. Well time to head out. The Fleamarket starts in a few minutes then I gotta get sleep before work tonite.

PS Del I think your stuff is great. Keep it up. as you know She or he who has the most toys wins!!!
                        MEGO MOTORS

Comment

• misterdroid
                          Banned
                          • Jan 10, 2008

I have been prowling the womens section of my local Thrifts looking for red and white striped vintage material(Cap customs etc.)for while now. I haven't found it, but I have filled a laundry bag with nice Mego colored/textured items. That makes sense to you reading this, but to my local stores I'm the "guy that buys womens clothes". Pretty sweet.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎