X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Who was the best Luthor?

There have been quite a few. Lyle Talbot in the Atom Man vs. Superman serial, Gene Hackman, The Lois and Clark one, the Smallville one and Kevin Spacey. I probably forgot one or two. I'm watching the serial right now and really liking Talbot. Kevin Spacey was fun in the last movie, I like a slightly demented Lex.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks
  • Hulk
    Mayor of Megoville
    • May 10, 2003

I really liked Talbot as well, he might have been the best thing about that series.

Rosenbaum had had plenty of time to develop and explore the character, and he's put his own mark on him for sure.

Hackman played the character well given the material, and made what could have been a really weak aspect of the movies into something special, and Spacey did an admirable job of maintaining that history while darkening it up.

I'll keep them in that order for now.

I have to say that I never really bought into the Superfriends era Luthor (voiced by Stan Jones), so Clancy Brown wins the animated contest by a long shot. Who can't love the Kurgan and Sasquatch as Lex?

John Shea (Lois and Clark) may win the award in my book for worst portrayal of Lex ever, except I can't remember the Superboy TV show well enough to comment on that version.

Comment

• brineb
      Persistent Member
      • Aug 26, 2006

Lyle Talbot felt more like the Lex from the comics to me, at least the Golden Age version of Lex. I enjoyed Gene Hackman and Kevin Spacey, all the others just don't hold up.
      I also play with other dolls:
      http://brineb.blogspot.com/

Comment

• The Toyroom
        The Packaging King
        • Dec 31, 2004

I haven't seen Talbot performance yet but he certainly looks the part with that scowling menacing look....

For me it's Hackman...comedic aspects aside...I think he did a great job with the material he was given. Love when he whips of the wig at the end of "...the Movie" and reveals his bald head underneath. Plus...he had bumbling Otis (smarter than he acts?) and Miss TESCHMACHER!
        Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

For me it's Lex Lugar when he was in his "narcissist" era

Comment

• toys2cool
            Ultimate Mego Warrior
            • Nov 27, 2006

I like the Lex from Smallville the best
            "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
            My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Rosenbaum's Lex saves even the worst episodes of Smallville. I love the series overall, but sometimes the episodes fail, but Rosenbaum's Lex is always a treat.

Sherman Howard who played him from season two onward on Superboy was the best purely EVIL, demented Lex. Great performance. Too bad we'll probably never see Superboy season 2 on DVD due to low sales of season 1 and all the Superboy legal issues.

I like Hackman's somewhat campy Lex. I never got the impression he was any less dangerous just because he was flamboyant. A better way to go than "I hate you, you made me bald". That just doesn't really resonate, nowadays (or ever, really). Spacey's reinterpretation of that was fine.

But Clancy Brown's animated Lex may be the best. And oddly enough, the best developed. From tycoon, to mad scientist, to would-be-god, the animated Lex was better fleshed out than any version before.

The only really bad Lex was the guy from Superboy season 1. Pew.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Sherman Howard who played him from season two onward on Superboy was the best purely EVIL, demented Lex. Great performance. Too bad we'll probably never see Superboy season 2 on DVD due to low sales of season 1 and all the Superboy legal issues.
                Oh man you just depressed the living hell out of me Chris. I bought season one for nothing now.

Howard was so good that they almost gave him the role of Lex in the animated series, he had to settle for the main villain in Batman Beyond.

I love Clancy Brown's Luthor for animated and most likely Howard for live action. He's the only modern version of Lex that's close to the comics in terms of his character.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Sorry Brian. I think I read in that recent Warner home video report that Superboy season 1 sales weren't up to snuff. Couple that with the legal nightmare the name is mired in, and I doubt we'll see them

You think you're depressed? What about Gerard Christopher? :-)

I had forgotten that about Howard! I think that's on the commentary track on either Superman or Batman Beyond. He made a great villain (Blight) on BB too, though.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• jwyblejr
                    galactic yo-yo
                    • Apr 6, 2006

I do like Michael Rosenbaum's take. With his Lex,you don't know if he's good or evil. There are times when he seems like a saint,then there are times when "future" Lex just oozes through. I mean we know what haapens to him in the end but getting there with him is starting to get fun.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                      OH JES!!
                      • Jul 21, 2005

Gene hackman would be my first choice I loved his portrayal in the first two movies.

Kevin Spacey was really god too a little darker.

I really enjoy Michael Rosenbaums version but he get's to work it better because of the run of the show.

Lyle Talbot was really good in the Seriel very Golden age Luthor
                      and Clancey Browns version I love his voice is what I hear when I read a story with Luthor in it.

Comment

• The Sentry
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jun 3, 2007

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                        Chris
                        Wow! I didn't kow "Bub" (The smart zombie from my favorite Romero film"Day of the Dead". Bub's also my favorite zombie ever!) played Lex! I'll definetly have to look into that!

For me I will have to say Spacey did the role justice! I was taken back by his performance as the cunning villian! I always liked Lex Luthor. He was besides Dr. Doom the epittamy of bad assness! Spacey played it to the hilt! Even shanking Supes in the back with the kryptonite shard and pushing him off into the water! That was prolly the most brutal scene in a comic book movie I have ever seen! The look on his face was priceless too! (I only own the Luthor figures from the new Superman movie cause he was just too damn bad for his own good.........kinda like the comic book Luthor!
                        sigpic
                        http://facebook.com/Lee.Harrah.99
                        https://www.facebook.com/pages/HARRA...755356&sk=info
                        [url]https://www.reverbnation.com/harrah99?profile_view_source=header_icon_nav[url]

Comment

• MegoMonk
                          Career Member
                          • Jan 22, 2007

I am a big fan of Rosenbaum on Smallville. His scenes with John glover as his father are usually the best part of Smallville.
                          BTW, was there ever a Lionel Luthor in the comics???

Comment

• The Toyroom
                            The Packaging King
                            • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by MegoMonk
                            BTW, was there ever a Lionel Luthor in the comics???

To my knowledge, Lionel is an original creation for Smallville...
                            Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• huedell
                              Museum Ball Eater
                              • Dec 31, 2003

I think Clancy Brown should've reprised his role as a "live" Lex Luthor
                              ---that animated Lex was just delicious (as was Hamill's Joker)

In light of using a different "sort" of actor...

I do think Spacey's portrayal of Lex was just fantastic in my opinion

Hackman and Reeve hold a special place in my heart, but my thoughts are
                              that I'd prefer to see the Routh/Spacey team go three more movies and keep
                              Reeves/Hackman as a fond "second place/silver medal" memory that
                              helped jumpstart movies that are less rough around the edges than the
                              Salkind tainted, mishap chocked, older movies

I really enjoyed Superman Returns desperate attempt to link the two
                              waves of the WB Superman franchises---it was charming, and I
                              sincerely hope its given a chance to blossom

....and that Kevin Spacey has a few happy returns as Lex Luthor

Of course my dream movie would be:

WORLD'S FINEST
                              starring
                              KEVIN SPACEY - HEATH LEDGER - CHRISTIAN BALE - BRANDON ROUTH

Directed By
                              CHRISTOPHER NOLAN & BRYAN SINGER

Last edited by huedell; Jun 15, '07, 11:14 PM.
                              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎