Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scotty_Anxiety
    • May 21, 2007

NEWBIE Question about painting

Hi all,first of all I've seen some great customs here, you guys do great jobs, and I'd like to join the party... I tried painting my first head, I used white acrylic paint, and my problem is how blatantly visible the brushstrokes are. So i was wondering if any one can give advice on what to use to avoid this in the future (it was an OG Mego head.) thanks in advance!

scott
  • Megospidey
    Museum Webslinger
    • Jul 26, 2006

There are LOTS of solutions to your dilemma!

Let me give you mine: I use Tamiya acrylic paints. They are traditionally used in painting miniature tanks, vehicles, and planes, but I find them to be very effective on resin heads. They leave NO brushstrokes, dry evenly, and dry quickly. They also only require one coat usually for the darker colors; two for the lighter. They come in glossy or matte (use matte and a good sealant...and I have yet to find a good one ). You can buy them online or at any hobby shop.

Welcome to the gang!! Can't wait to see your work.

There are many great customizers on this site - I'm sure they will give you other solutions to your problem, and you'll be able to make an informed decision on what you want to do!!

Comment

• Customslab

also some good brushes always helps

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

I use the cheapo acrylics from Walmart's craft section. I thin them down with water and do several coats until the color looks uniform. You are probably trying to do it with one thick coat, that will result in brush marks when it dries.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Dave Mc
          Administrator
          • Oct 20, 2002

Thin coats, multiple coats, good brushes, that is the key for me.

www.custommego.com has a tutorial.

Comment

• drwhofan74
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 19, 2005

Originally posted by Dave Mc
            Thin coats, multiple coats, good brushes, that is the key for me.

www.custommego.com has a tutorial.
            I second this. Ceramcoat has an acrylic thinner that retains the color and extends the drying time of the paint. This usually eliminates the brush strokes. It takes longer, but the end result is worth it.
            sigpic"Sorry for the noise. My pet cricket has restless leg syndrome."

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

I recommend "Citadel Colour" Paint's, good Brushes, and drying time between coat's. Basicly...what these Guy's said!
              sigpic

Comment

• ctc
                Fear the monkeybat!
                • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

For original heads I use vynil paint; made for auto interiors. Works good, bonds with the plastic, extremely hazardous. (Use it outside.) It's thick, and dreis really fast; so it takes a few coats to blend out the strokes.

For resin heads I use house primer. (White, or maybe grey or black.) I use all sorts of different paints. Any acrylic will do. Citadel makes good stuff, so does Reaper. Tamiya stuff is good when you can find it, and Humbrol makes a decent acrylic. It all depends on what's available where you are. (The model kit guys recommend FreakFlex paints.) I also use Liquitex and Createx. They're made for airbrushes. Mix 'em with water and be careful; they're pretty fragile.

Seal them with something once dry. Gloss varnish protects better, but dries with a shine. You can spray matt OVER them (once dry) and take off a lot of the sheen. When I can find it, I use a satin finish furniture varnish. Has a mostly mat finish and protects as good as urethane.

Don C.

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

I use Tamiya as well. They really work well for me.
                  My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎