Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To repro or not to repro, that is the question. Whats your thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lynn TXP 0369
    Career Member
    • Jun 10, 2007

To repro or not to repro, that is the question. Whats your thoughts?

As the thread title states...
    What are your guy's thoughts on Megos and using repro parts?

I'm sure there must be some of you diehards that want nothing but 100% Mego and some like to mix and match.

I for one, I don't care if I have repro parts on my figures or not, if it makes my figure look complete, so be it.
    Most of my Megos I got off eBay the past two months have got some repro parts on them and it dosn't bother me one bit.

I'm not that big a stickler to have to have 100% Mego stuff.

Lynn
  • Meule
    Verbose Member
    • Nov 14, 2004

I want my Megos to be 100% original. I do use repro stuff for my customs tho.
    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Merlyn1976
      Fist of Khonshu
      • Mar 29, 2005

For kids and customs repros are great....
      "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

In the Southeast Pacific, lies the sunken city of R'Leyh. There lies C'thulhu waits to return to our world with the other Great Old Ones. A hideous creature of enormous size and alien power, it waits for it's time to return patiently. For it has all the time in the world while it waits for the stars.

Comment

• megoat
        A Therefore Experience
        • Jun 10, 2003

I suppose it's a personal preference thing, but i pretty much loathe repro anything. I collect vintage toys. Their sense of history-- the fact that they're old playthings that actual kids played with-- is what makes them interesting to me. Reproductions just ain't got any soul.....

but really, to each his own.....

Comment

• HardyGirl
          Mego Museum's Poster Girl
          • Apr 3, 2007

I don't care either. Right now, poor Scottie (from Star Trek) is stuck in a blue shirt b/c I got him cheaper that way, but one day he will be sporting one of Doc Mego's repro red shirts. (good thing Scottie isn't a security guard!) Eventually I'll get shoes for my Ape humans and Zira, clothes for Burke, replacement clothes for Cheron, and extras for my generic guys, (like fur shorts, extra red and gold Star Trek shirts, more jumpsuits and boots). My toys get played w/ anyway, so it really doesn't make any difference where the clothes came from, as long as they look good on my guys!
          "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
          'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
          Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
          If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• z3zep
            The Girl Next Door
            • Sep 30, 2006

Even if I finish off figures one piece at a time, I prefer original accessories.

Some parts, I just cannot find, or they are just out of my budget -- like thor's helmet -- I have repro parts. They don't bother me much -- but if I find an original then I will replace the repros pronto.

Comment

• MegoNinja
              Career Member
              • Feb 7, 2007

I actually cannot stand repro parts, I stare at my collection getting more angry every time that some of my WGSH's arent all original (I did not have a choice on getting repro parts as it was given to me as a gift). Repro stuff just doesnt have the same 'feel', the plastic doesnt have that vintage smell either.
              I the Monster Hero

Comment

• Dave Mc
                Administrator
                • Oct 20, 2002

I built my loose collection with restored figures, and I used tons of repro parts to complete them, because I couldn't stand a semi-complete figure. Over time, after I had most of the figures, I started hunting down the parts to make my collection all original, and that was fun.

Basically, I've been on both sides of the repro thing. I'd always rather have original, but repro's are a great placeholder until the real deal comes along. I'll always replace one eventually though.

Like Thomas, I use all repro parts for customs. I don't like making an original figure incomplete so I can make a custom.

Really though, it's whatever floats your boat.

Comment

• DCSTING
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 23, 2004

When I first started out I didn't care about repo parts. Now it drives me nuts if I have something with a repo part on it.

Comment

• QDOGG
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jan 13, 2007

I doesn't matter to me at all cause I'm not really a collector, but I do enjoy customizing Megos. Anyone that has seen my postings knows my tastes are pretty strange to say the least! I'll mix original parts, repro, custom, throw in some Remco or Masters of the Universe parts. To me it's just fun to come up with an original character or an original take on a classic character, As Dave said what ever floats your boat

Comment

• RG
                      Removed.
                      • Oct 1, 2004

repro sticker emblems do not bother me, but everything else has to be original.

the few customs I build (or try to build) are made from repro or damaged originals parts I can't bring myself to harm a vintage toy in good shape

Comment

• JDeRouen
                        Author of Small Things
                        • Jun 14, 2001

Real parts on real Megos, repro parts on customs and Megos for my son.

Repo parts, however, are another story. I never use repo parts, because there's always some guy sneaking into my house in the middle of the night to take them away...

Joe
                        --
                        Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176

Comment

• VintageMike
                          Permanent Member
                          • Dec 16, 2004

I'm in the middle on this, but it's really personal preference. Most of the, I prefer and will try to get original parts, UNLESS I feel something repro makes the figure look cooler/better. Easy example, I like Green Arrow better with a GREEN bow. Which isn't what he came with. So I got a repro one.
                          A tougher example. I won a nice Batgirl with all original parts save the emblem. However the cape was badly faded and frayed. I made the decision to replace the original cape with a repro one because it simply made the figure look nicer.

On on the other side of the coin, I did get a repro belt but decided to stick with the original because I didn't think not having the bag part made it lose that much.

Comment

• The Sentry
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jun 3, 2007

Me, I love to have the original, sadly, my Batman besides his head and cape are repro, my Robin is a little more original cepr for his gloves, shoes, belt and emblem, My Superman (when I get a friggin head for him) will be almost 100% cept for his emblem (hey, I was 4 when I was collecting Megos sue me!) I agree, if your gunna have the real deal then get the real deal, but damn, the original parts can be pricey for a poor boy with a comic book addiction! So I am half and half on the matter but I think original parts are alot better. But if you need to go the repro route then what else can you do?*shrugs*
                            sigpic
                            http://facebook.com/Lee.Harrah.99
                            https://www.facebook.com/pages/HARRA...755356&sk=info
                            [url]https://www.reverbnation.com/harrah99?profile_view_source=header_icon_nav[url]

Comment

• Goblin19
                              Talkative Member
                              • May 2, 2002

Repro stuff really helped me begin collecting. I had to have my figures looking complete and couldn't afford all original. I have replaced some as time goes by and I acquire parts, but I still have quite a bit and it doesn't bother me.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎