Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nordox
    • Dec 22, 2007

Happy Days Mego vs. Repro

I just started getting the Happy Days original mego toys where I can find them. I think they are great, and Fonzie might be the best mego I have seen with his specialized thumb motion.

Anyhow I have avoided the Repro Happy Days toys I have seen. Does anyone know enough to explain the differences? I was surprised the Museum didn't include the side by side I think they usually do.

So far I have Fonzie and Richie.
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

When you click on the link, on the top right, click on any figure you want to know about.

Mego Happy Days Accessory Check : Mego Museum

m

Comment

• Dave Mc
      Administrator
      • Oct 20, 2002

Accessory check compares all the reproduced parts of those figures. Some items on the CTVT happy days figures are not included, since they are original. The heads on the CTVT figures are totally new sculpts, so they aren't pictured in accessory check. Otherwise, most of the other parts are.

Comment

• nordox
        • Dec 22, 2007

Comparison?

Dont you think that folks would like to compare the new and old Fonzie for instance?

Comment

• Action Martin
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 30, 2007

The accessory check already does make the comparisons for the original and repro items. Since the heads aren't repro'd, they really don't need to be there. And if one was interested in seeing what they look like they could go to Classic TV Toys' website and view them.
          Scott

Comment

• Dave Mc
            Administrator
            • Oct 20, 2002

Accessory Checks primary goal is to provide a checklist of accessories that go with each figure and to give detailed information on how to tell if those accessories are original. Since the resculpted heads aren't part of a checklist needed to complete an original figure, it's not included. It is Mego Accessory Check after all.

Actually, I was borderline on including those heads when those pages were made, but I asked a few opinions to get other points of view and it pretty much the same response from everyone I asked, don't include them, they are not Mego parts or reproduction of Mego parts.

Comment

• SoulSinger
              Singer Of Mego Love
              • Oct 22, 2007

Could they be included there with a new classification so people can see them side by side?

Bob

Originally posted by Dave Mc
              Accessory Checks primary goal is to provide a checklist of accessories that go with each figure and to give detailed information on how to tell if those accessories are original. Since the resculpted heads aren't part of a checklist needed to complete an original figure, it's not included. It is Mego Accessory Check after all.

Actually, I was borderline on including those heads when those pages were made, but I asked a few opinions to get other points of view and it pretty much the same response from everyone I asked, don't include them, they are not Mego parts or reproduction of Mego parts.

Comment

• nordox
                • Dec 22, 2007

The first wave kinda presents itself as repro doesn't it?

Even tho the figures definatly go in a different direction, the first wave looks like its some kind of attempt at a repro of the first wave. I really enjoyed the Fonzie as a kid and so far I have Fonzie and Richie vintage.

I am curious if the repros are good since i had gotten some space 1999 stuff from the same company that broke right out of the box.

Comment

• Dave Mc
                  Administrator
                  • Oct 20, 2002

Most certainly they are not "good". At least the bodies. HD was the first wave of CTVT stuff, and those bodies are the most prone to breaking.

The clothes are fine, but I find the head sculpts with the big toothy grins kinda creepy.

Comment

• goldenryan
                    coy member
                    • Jul 13, 2007

yeah the happy days and space 1999 figures didnt look right to me but the mummy and frankenstein looked sweet.

Comment

• huedell
                      Museum Ball Eater
                      • Dec 31, 2003

A brief explanation of what CTVT did with HD on the MAC for HD may be
                      warranted. That way pics of non-Mego fashioned items won't confuse the
                      issue---yet there'd still be info on the oh-so-close items that cultivate the
                      kind of confusion that nordox is sorting through.
                      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Dave Mc
                        Administrator
                        • Oct 20, 2002

I think, if I understand properly what you are asking for, is covered on the AC Happy Days index page. The section starts with...

The Happy Days line has been reproduced by Classic TV Toys as complete figures. This makes for plenty of reproduction parts for this line. Not addressed here are the heads. The CTVT reproductions feature new and unique headsculpts, not reproductions of the Mego heads, so they are very easy to spot so not covered here.

This section will help you identify the clothes and shoes that were reproduced by CTVT.

Comment

• huedell
                          Museum Ball Eater
                          • Dec 31, 2003

I think, if I understand properly what you are asking for, is covered on the AC Happy Days index page. The section starts with...

The Happy Days line has been reproduced by Classic TV Toys as complete figures. This makes for plenty of reproduction parts for this line. Not addressed here are the heads. The CTVT reproductions feature new and unique headsculpts, not reproductions of the Mego heads, so they are very easy to spot so not covered here.

This section will help you identify the clothes and shoes that were reproduced by CTVT.
                          Yep. That's it. Apologies...just was spitballing.
                          "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• nordox
                            • Dec 22, 2007

Didn't help much

The MAC is fantastic but it is lacking as I turn towards adding a Happy Days Collection. So far I have gotten my hands on a Mego Fonzie and Mego Richie, and I am close to getting a Ralph. I know the Classic Toy line is weak at times,
                            and I couldn't imagine Fonzie still having the thumbs up thing. Mostly tho, the Fonzie I recall the sculpt as a kid as mesmorizing as Captain Kirk, so I think an alternative sculpt would send me running, I have not been able to see these replicas close up. At the same time, for 15.00 bucks they are offering an entire set of the first wave which really would be cool to hang on the stairs etc.

Comment

• nordox
                              • Dec 22, 2007

Happy Days Series I

Okay, now I have finally gotten my hands on the Classic TV toys Series 1 of Happy Days, as well as original Megos. Series 1 is clearly a REPRO even tho the head sculpt are different. My guess here is they didnt have the original molds. Fonzie even has the whole thumbs up thing going on.
                              Anyhow I met Henry Winkler this past weekend and he was happy to sign the all of 5.00 series one fonzie repro and it looks great, and has sparked my interest in the Happy Days line. (Espcially finding Fonzie's bike).
                              Can the museum please connect the dots on the repros to the originals more closely please? I understand the Classic TV toys stuff is a little flimsy but at least from a glance this is as much a REPRO as EMCE Trek. The original ones are fantastic and I only had Fonzie as a kid so yknow. Of course I like the original Fonzie mego much more than the repro, but the repro one is by far bad and for 5.00 i should have bought a box of em to sell at the auto show where I met Henry Winkler!

Last edited by nordox; Jul 21, '08, 3:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎