X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darklord1967
    Persistent Member
    • Mar 27, 2008

REPRO / Custom BOX for MEGO BATCAVE

Several years ago, my good MEGO buddy Scott Arendson was kind, and generous enough to do me a HUGE favor:

You see, I wanted to create a nice, pristine repro box for my loose Mego BATCAVE PLAYSET, and I needed a decent looking original box specimen that I could scan into Photoshop. Scott came to my rescue.

He kindly packaged and mailed me his own MEGO Batcave Box (large version) so that I could perform the operation.

Considering its age, the box was in VERY nice condition, but it had the usual wear and roughness that is typical of toy packaging that was over 30 years old.

Anyhow, I scanned the box, mailed the original back to Scott, and stored away the digital files to work on later .

Well a couple of months ago I finally began the Photoshop restoration work… cleaning up all the nicks, gouges, image rubouts, etc. Some parts of the photo image were re-colored (Robin on the Batpole), or replaced altogether because of poor photography (MEGO Joker’s head replaced).

Of course being a customizer, I was simply incapable of restoring the look of this box without some MAJOR custom tweak. I just couldn’t help myself…

My main issue was with the artwork. I felt like the main Batman and Robin artwork needed A LOT of help, and some updating to make it a bit more polished.

Even as a kid, I never really understood why MEGO felt the need to make Batman’s tights so lavender in color in some of their packaging artwork. Additionally, his cape was virtually non-existent, and the utility belt was a bit messy in appearence. Most offensive of all was the goofy facial expression that the artist put on him… even if the eyes weren’t crooked… which they were! Full head replacement required there.

As for the Robin artwork, there were most certainly some detailing issues that needed to be addressed, and parts of his costume were colored incorrectly. He was also a bit “thick” in the way he was drawn, and needed to be slimmed a bit. But it was his original head / likeness that I did not care for. Again, a full head replacement required.

I decided I wanted the emblem on the Batsignal to be the more modern version, so that too was updated.

The small images of the villains were replaced with more modern more detailed artwork, properly de-resed to match the original box’s soft imagery.

I had a little fun replacing most of the written text on his box, including the copyright info, which now reads “DC Comics” rather than National Periodicals Publication (the way it originally did). And as usual, I added my little collector in-joke regarding age recommendation for the product.

This image measures 26” X 16.5”. When laser printed, it will be carefully aligned and spray mounted onto the face of a custom-sized corrugated carboard box,.

Presto! Brand new custom Box for my MEGO Batcave!
    Last edited by darklord1967; Jun 30, '08, 6:42 PM.
    I... am an action figure customizer
  • GaryPlaysWithDolls
    Mighty Man/Monster Maker
    • Aug 14, 2007

That is cool! Man, I remember wanting that toy! Heck, you wouldn't even need the actual toy it would be cool to just have the box sitting on a shelf.

Mina is the world's first Paranormal Petsitter in the new middle-grade book series by Gary Buettner, MONSTER PETS, coming in FALL 2014 from EMBY KIDS. Spooky adventure that's perfect reading for kids 8-12
    https://www.facebook.com/monsterpetsbooks?ref=hl

Comment

• boss
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 18, 2003

that looks nice. I think I would have stuck with the original Joker, Penguin and Riddler art. It seems more iconic. Or maybe it's just because I see the Pepsi glass versions everyday.
      Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
        Pat Troughton in disguise
        • Nov 21, 2007

thats nice...love it
        ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• Customslab

very nice work

Comment

• bobws
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 13, 2008

My that is amazing work! i would have left the old joker though, the newer one is even less kid-friendly. but nice work!
            "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Nice work, but I agree with the guys knocking the replacement ofthe arch foes art. The ones Mego used have a bit more charm to them.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• ScottA
                Original Member
                • Jun 25, 2001

Wow, I had forgotten I had done that. Nice work Roberto. I still want to see that custom batmobile.
                Last edited by ScottA; Jul 1, '08, 8:36 AM.
                sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
                  Stuck in a laundry shoot.
                  • Oct 8, 2007

Nice work. Should be a really cool and unique addition to your collection. It looks great.
                  "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• REMOVED
                    • Mar 29, 2024

That's really cool. Thanks for sharing....

Comment

• SoulSinger
                      Singer Of Mego Love
                      • Oct 22, 2007

That rocks! Great job!

Comment

• darklord1967
                        Persistent Member
                        • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by boss
                        that looks nice. I think I would have stuck with the original Joker, Penguin and Riddler art. It seems more iconic. Or maybe it's just because I see the Pepsi glass versions everyday.

Originally posted by bobws
                        My that is amazing work! i would have left the old joker though, the newer one is even less kid-friendly. but nice work!

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                        Nice work, but I agree with the guys knocking the replacement ofthe arch foes art. The ones Mego used have a bit more charm to them.

I understand your stance on this, guys. Believe me I do. And when I began performing this restoration, it was initially my plan to NOT embellish or "upgrade" anything.

But then as I worked, and as my plan evolved, my viewpoint became one of bringing things into a modern era and addressing what MEGO would have likely done if they still existed into 2008.

It's the same two frames of thought that exist throughout the MEGO customizing community: Keeping it MEGO-esque and "cute" VERSUS upgrading it into something more modern but with a MEGO basis or foundation.

I even seriously considered Re-photograhing the Batcave Playset itself with MY OWN custom MEGO Batman Robin and Joker figures posed around it for use on this custom box.

Once again, it's it old "apples" versus "oranges" dillema.

Should villains be depicted as "child friendly" and cute in some instances? Well... Probably. Certainly the case could be made for that viewpoint on toy packaging that prominently shows a 4 year old playing.

However, as the text at the top of my custom box suggests, this product is "Recommended for Collectors over 18 years of age"

And as a collector who is... somewhat older than 18, I prefer my comic book villains mean, nasty, and scary. Heck... I even perfer some of my HEROES that way.

Originally posted by ScottA
                        Wow, I had forgotten I had done that. Nice work Roberto. I still want to see that custom batmobile.

Howdy Scott!! It's been a long time good buddy!! Too long!! We need to catch up big-time. Yup, you were my real hero on this one, and I wouldn't dream of posting this without giving you your props!

But, uh... Batmobile you say? Why... what Batmobile are you referring to??

Comment

• Meule
                          Verbose Member
                          • Nov 14, 2004

Pretty cool... I love it
                          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• ScottA
                            Original Member
                            • Jun 25, 2001

Originally posted by darklord1967

Howdy Scott!! It's been a long time good buddy!! Too long!! We need to catch up big-time. Yup, you were my real hero on this one, and I wouldn't dream of posting this without giving you your props!

But, uh... Batmobile you say? Why... what Batmobile are you referring to??
                            Anytime. I actualy ran across the pics you sent me of your figures way bacj when. Still as impressive as the first time I saw them. Hopefully you've made progress on Catwoman and Batgirl.

Yea, you heard me - Batmobile
                            sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• darklord1967
                              Persistent Member
                              • Mar 27, 2008

Well ONE of those ladies is about a month away from being unveiled here at the museum. That much I can promise.

As for this... this BATMOBILE you keep mentioning, let me check my work bench. It's QUITE cluttered at the moment, but I DO think I see a LARGE black tail fin buried under there...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎