X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

2 More Who Questions

If possible, I'd love as straightforward an answer as possible. I'm just looking for some info.

-What is Torchwood? Is this just the alien observing/collecting group in the new series, or is there some attachment to older Doctors.

-More superficially, was the theme always what it is now (basically)? If not, when was the current version introduced?
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

In short...

The New Doctor Who Series introduced a new character named Captain Jack.

All we know is Jack is from the future, he used to work for a company-- and MAY have been a nasty (his memory was wiped clean so even Jack doesn't know what he was).

Today Jack is a good guy.

Jack is now stranded on Earth in the present day.

In the UK there's an gov sanctioned org. named TORCHWOOD

Basically, they're the X-Files of the UK on steroids.

Jack was made their leader.

The adventure continues

Comment

• johnmiic
      Adrift
      • Sep 6, 2002

I kind'a thought Torchwood was more like Men In Black. They are in the know, apprehend whatever alien technology they can and selectively erase people's memories of them.

The DW theme is very much the same as it was in 1963 when the show started. Somtimes they play the long version over the end titles. The begining version is sometimes shorter also depending on the opening credits.

Comment

• drwhofan74
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 19, 2005

The Torchwood series was spun off from Doctor Who as a means of securing an adult audience. The show is not for kids AT ALL! There are blatant sexual overtones, the f-bomb is dropped every episode and it is very violent. "X-Files on steroids" is a good description. The series is excellent, but avoid it if you are uncomfortable with homosexuality in any way. RTD intentionally has every major character involved in a homosexual experience at some point in the series.

***WARNING: DOCTOR WHO SERIES TWO SPOILER. DO NOT READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT ANYTHING FROM SERIES TWO REVEALED!!!***

The Torchwood institute was founded by Queen Victoria. It is specifically designed to protect the earth from foriegn invasion / influence. The Queen also founded the institute with the secondary function of hunting down the Doctor, (as she exiled him and Rose from England following their run-in with a werewolf) So, when Torchwood shows up the the Doctor Who series, there is always tension as they are trying to "capture" him...
        sigpic"Sorry for the noise. My pet cricket has restless leg syndrome."

Comment

• Wee67
          Museum Correspondent
          • Apr 2, 2002

So Torchwood is an entire series on its own, huh? Learn something every day.
          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Wee67
            So Torchwood is an entire series on its own, huh? Learn something every day.
            Yep, Doc Who kicked it off, but it can totally exist on it's own.

It's a pretty good series, but it has sexual situations to the max.--- too much for my liking.

In other words, everybody is sleeping with everybody.

The stories often take a backseat to who's sleeping with who.

I've posted this Torchwood Dead Ringers comedy sketch on the old forum.

The funny thing is, it's almost exactly like the real series

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

m
            Last edited by Mikey; Jun 11, '07, 3:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• drwhofan74
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 19, 2005

Okay, the Dead Ringers thing is too funny!
              sigpic"Sorry for the noise. My pet cricket has restless leg syndrome."

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎