X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JediJaida
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 14, 2008

I need suggestions

I am planning, among other things, on doing a Maid Marian Custom for the Robin Hood line, as well as a Guinevere for the Super Knights.

I've got some extra DocMego heads that I can reroot, I plan to get the bodies directly from him in August, I just need some help.

What king of outfit should Marian wear? Full court regalia? A tomboy's outfit for romping through Sherwood Forest? Ordinary daywear for that century?

The same thing goes for Guinevere.

I'm thinking of giving Marian bronze colored hair that I scored from Restoredolls.com, but I'm stuck as to what to do for Guinevere.

Guinevere was supposed to be of Irish descent, wasn't she? So that makes her either a redhead or maybe a brunette.

I don't think that there were any Black Irish at the time, due to the fact that very few Spaniards (if any, went to the British Isles in the Fourth Century).

Thanks for your help.
    JediJaida
  • REMOVED
    • Apr 25, 2024

Originally posted by JediJaida
    I am planning, among other things, on doing a Maid Marian Custom for the Robin Hood line, as well as a Guinevere for the Super Knights.

I've got some extra DocMego heads that I can reroot, I plan to get the bodies directly from him in August, I just need some help.

What king of outfit should Marian wear? Full court regalia? A tomboy's outfit for romping through Sherwood Forest? Ordinary daywear for that century?

The same thing goes for Guinevere.

I'm thinking of giving Marian bronze colored hair that I scored from Restoredolls.com, but I'm stuck as to what to do for Guinevere.

Guinevere was supposed to be of Irish descent, wasn't she? So that makes her either a redhead or maybe a brunette.

I don't think that there were any Black Irish at the time, due to the fact that very few Spaniards (if any, went to the British Isles in the Fourth Century).

Thanks for your help.
    If I were Maid Marion, I'd want a comfy green suit with leather booties and a few pockets to put stuff (like snacks and hand grenades). She might like to have some evening wear though....

Comment

• megocrazy
      Museum Trouble Maker
      • Feb 18, 2007

Guinevere had a prototype that used a Supergirl head if I'm not mistaken. You can see it in some of the European catalog ads from way back then. I guess that would be where I would start if I was trying to stay true to Mego-esque. Maid Marion was a red head in most of the Hood renditions I remember. After seeing Mego's reference for the Ivanhoe figure, you might want to research Robin Hood movies from the 40's and 50's for what Mego may have done for her. Glinda with some of the face paint removed and a restyle might work OK for a marion. The dress might work too if you could tone down some of the sparkles and make that matching clown hat with the scarf like tassle that they wear at all those Renaissance fair pictures I've seen.
      It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
        Formerly known as Del
        • Dec 12, 2004

I always liked the Guinevere prototype that was in that catalog pic. They used a Health Spa Dinamite. She had blonde hair and a dress/robe made of reddish velour, trimmed in white.
        Guenivere: Super Knights: Legendary Figures Gallery: Mego Museum
        It would be cool if you could find a likeness to Olivia de Havilland since the Mego Robin Hood looked so much like Errol Flynn. Even if you use the Doc Mego head, you should give her the long braids like in this pic: http://www.errolflynn.net/Filmography/Rh8.jpg
        There's also the head covering, but I don't think it looks as nice: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...od_trailer.JPG
        Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
        https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
        http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
          Formerly known as Del
          • Dec 12, 2004

Actually, from looking at pics of Olivia deHavilland, the Doc Mego head might not be too bad, as long as you get the hair right. They both kind of have that wide-eyed look about them.

Check out my customs!

Comment

• JediJaida
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 14, 2008

I need suggestions

Thank you all for your great suggestions.

The Guinevere prototype was a Spa Dinah-mite head that was used for the purposes of the photo, but she was never produced.

I always loved Olivia DeHavilland's portrayal of Marian, so therefore I will use the bronze hair, and give her long braids that can be hidden underneath the wimple and cowl that went along with the costumes she wore.

Dunno where I'm going to score that kind of fabric, it's more than vintage, it's antique by this time, as Errol's version of Robin Hood came out in 1938.

But, since this is my doll, I don't have to stick strictly to the movie.
            JediJaida

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

I've loved Flynn's version, too, and always though of basing Marion's look/costume upon that version.

I'd planned to use a Dorothy for simplicity's sake. I guess I haven't worried much over the hair because of the wimple/headdress.

As for Guinevere, I like the idea of dupeing Mego's prototype. Doc's repro SG head is accommodating.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• ctc
                Fear the monkeybat!
                • Aug 16, 2001

>I like the idea of dupeing Mego's prototype.

I was planning on doing the same. Just wish there were some better pics.

Oh well; it just increases my allowable margin of error.

Don C.

Comment

• JediJaida
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 14, 2008

I need suggestions

Okay, now; where to get the pattern for the dress?

Does anyone out there know how to draft a pattern for a dress in that scale?

There are very few dresses in the Mego line: The Waltons, The Wizard of Oz, and a few Dinah-mites, but nothing else.

I certainly don't have the skill to copy one of the vintage dresses, never mind drafting the pattern.

I have a book of medieval patterns in a pattern drafting book that I could probably reduce to 1.8 scale, but the seams are going to be a real PITA to do on a sewing machine.

I might have to do it by hand.

As for the tomboy outfit for Marian, I can use one of DocMego's bodysuits, drape a jerkin/tunic thing, slap on a pair of boots, get her a sword/dagger/bow/arrows, put a Robin hat on her head, and voila! She is done!

After I reroot the head, get the new body in August, buy the fabric for the jerkin/tunic, make the boots.....

Am I being too ambitious?
                  JediJaida

Comment

• The Phantom
                    Banned
                    • Jan 15, 2008

If you're looking for a head that resembles Olivia Dehavilland, Laurie(polyester) at toy fanatic has a head that looks just like her. It doesn't have rooted hair, but she is wearing a headdress or wimple or whatever it is. Check it out, it even shows how it looks painted. I always thought that's who it was

Comment

• JediJaida
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 14, 2008

I need suggestions

Hah! That's perfect!

One tomboy set for each!

Oh, I just bought a Dorothy head, in mint or pretty mint condition.

That way, I'll have an idea as to how to root a head for a thatched center part, so I can make two braided sections.

Or, maybe I'll use her for Maid Marian.

After all, she doesn't look that much like Judy Garland, does she?

Hm, maybe I should get the Glinda head as well. Use her for a Fairy Godmother figure. Only not in that godawful pink sparkly dress she wore.

I see something in mint green, with a darker green gauze overdress, an attached gauze cape, and maybe a pointed hat with a veil.
                      JediJaida

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
                        Formerly known as Del
                        • Dec 12, 2004

I don't think you're being too ambitious. The reason people start customizing is because there's a specific character they want. You've found yours. You told me that you're determined to do this by yourself, so you can learn. Just keep in mind that with learning also comes a lot of mistakes, redos, and throwaways. If you're making an outfit for the first time, do a practice run or three on some cheap fabric and try it on your figure. Then you can see what changes need to be made, without messing up the good stuff.

Check out my customs!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎