X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

George Reeves Is The Only Superman

Chris was OK, this new kid is a Chris rip-off.

Kirk Alyn was SHATNER as Supes (if you know what I mean)

As far as i'm concerned, they are all just knock-offs.......

GEORGE REEVES was and IS Superman.
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Well, Chris Reeve IS Superman to me. I can't separate the two in my mind. He looks like the character stepped off the page. But I can certainly see why everyone over the age of say 35 worships George as Supes. I have all the DVD sets, and it's apparent that despite the stories of George being embarassed by the Superman role, he did his best and actually ACTED. He put thought into how Superman would react to things. His assured, calm nature and charm makes him instantly likeable as Superman. Yet you know the guy could level a block by sneezing. Great, under-rated work (by non-Super fans anyway).

Kirk Ayln played it cartoony. Dean Cain WAS embarassed by the suit. Routh did a fine job with what he had. It's unfortunate they cast him as Christopeher Reeve AS Superman, and not just Superman.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• BlackKnight
      The DarkSide Customizer
      • Apr 16, 2005

As much as I try to watch a George Reeves Superman show,... It's just far to cheesy for me. Can't get into it, nore is he my Superman.
      ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Goblin19
        Talkative Member
        • May 2, 2002

I love both George and Chris. The new guy was pretty good, but I want to see one more movie before I decide.

Comment

• toys2cool
          Ultimate Mego Warrior
          • Nov 27, 2006

I like Chris the best,he just had that perfect look you would want in Superman
          "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
          My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• The Toyroom
            The Packaging King
            • Dec 31, 2004

Admittedly in my mind's eye, when you mention "live action Superman" I see George Reeves, just as when you say "comic book Superman" it's Curt Swan's version.

But Christopher Reeve's Superman is a close 2nd and is the 70s version to me....if George is the grandaddy/Silver Age version, then Chris is the Bronze Age....I'd even go so far as to say Earth-2/Earth-1.

I never even think of Kirk Alyn, Dean Cain, Tom Welling or Brandon Routh when you say "live action Supes". Alyn may have been the first, but George Reeves came on his heels and eclipsed him. And for the longest stretch of time, George was the only Superman. Christopher Reeve brought Supes to life for the 70s generation and the younger members of the board who might not have had access to the GR reruns. And for the longest time, Chris too was the only Superman to many. But in recent years, we've had Cain,Welling and Routh (as well as the other 2 Superboy guys) pretty much overlapping each other in their respective runs as the Man of Steel. So I can see how no loyalty is really bestowed upon the performances of those gentlemen.
            Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• HardyGirl
              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
              • Apr 3, 2007

When I was little, I watched George Reeves w/ my brother. I liked the show well enough as I liked a lot of the older B&W series re-airing in the 70s. But Chris (RIP), was Superman for me. And he was SO drop dead gorgeous that women wanted him to pick them up off their balcony for a night flight. And the second movie did it for me b/c I loved the idea of him being willing to give up his powers for the woman he loved! SWOON! Ok, OK, I'm looking at this from the female perspective, but what do you want? I'm FEMALE!
              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• jwyblejr
                galactic yo-yo
                • Apr 6, 2006

I see it two ways,you have the pre 90s versions and the 90s on version. Pre 90s is a toss-up to be honest. I'm sure if you poll say 500 non fans,you would get 250 for George and 250 for Chris. To me,these two are running too close to say one should be ranked above the other. The second batch it goes to Welling,hands down. Smallville has young fans and older fans watching making him way more poular.

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

The thing with Chris Reeve, to me he seemed to be a pretty awful actor.

I think Chris did have the LOOK, but he just acted lousy.

His acting reminded me of how OJ used to act in movies.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

The thing with Chris Reeve, to me he seemed to be a pretty awful actor.

I think Chris did have the LOOK, but he just acted lousy.

His acting reminded me of how OJ used to act in movies.
                    Wow. I've never heard anyone criticize Reeve's acting ability. Not that you're not entitled to, but I've never heard any one do it.

To me, Reeve was a fantastic actor. When he said "I'm here to fight for truth, justice, and the American way" and came across as sincere, and NOT goofy, that proved to me the man could act, and invested his time in devloping the Superman character. He had it much harder too. To portray Superman believably in a modern, jaded world, and in films primarily aimed at adults. Adventures of Superman was a children's show first and foremost. Esp. from season 2 on. George only had to convince kids he could be Superman, and he did. Chris had to convince EVERYONE.

Plus, as many have said before, Chris is the only one who convincingly made Clark Kent and Superman separate enough to make the secret ID thing convincingly work. Routh was pretty good at this too, but again he was pretty much just copying Chris.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• Hulk
                      Mayor of Megoville
                      • May 10, 2003

Christopher Reeve is Superman for me. I grew up with George, but always felt he was limited by the low budget and goofy writing of the time.

Tom Welling has become Clark Kent to me though. Dean Cain failed in trying to dethrone Chris Reeve's portrayal of Clark as the best, but Millar and Gough have successfully done that for me.

Comment

• JDeRouen
                        Author of Small Things
                        • Jun 14, 2001

I'm not a fan of anyone who's portrayed Superman, small or big screen. Brandon Routh came close, but the rest (Reeve and Reeves included) were just too cheesy for me.
                        --
                        Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

Don't get me wrong........

I don't-- and never disliked Reeve's performance as Supes.
                          I love the Supe movies

I think he did a good job.

I'm just saying, to me, he'll always be a replacement for the real thing.

As far as his acting goes, I might have exaggerated a little-- comparing him to OJ ......
                          But, I still think he's no great actor.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

George is my Supes too. He looks like a Wayne Boring drawing come to life.
                            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

m

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡