X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • misterdroid
    Banned
    • Jan 10, 2008

comic adaptations

With all the wailing and gnashing of teeth that accompanies the release of every comic to film adaptation, why have I not heard a peep regarding whatever the hell has happened to Wanted?
    Seriously... I have yet to hear someone say "Gosh, maybe the Spirit will be really good, I'll give it a chance." I only hear hateful, paranoia fueled rants (and probably rightly so)
    And I have yet to hear anyone say " Gosh, Wanted was a pretty good little story, shame about it being gutted and transformed into a generic action film"
    Am I the only one sad to see an offbeat story and potentially interesting film idea ground up and spit out as a big budget Hollywood throwaway?
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

I've never read "Wanted" so I have no emotional attachment to it if it does deviate as you say from the original...I am familiar with "The Spirit" so I do have strong opinion on that (Miller sucks)...perhaps it has something to do with "Wanted" no as familiar or as accessible to the masses as say, "The Hulk" or "Iron Man". And it appears that the marketing campaign isn't even playing up the comic book connection at all.
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• ctc
      Fear the monkeybat!
      • Aug 16, 2001

>it appears that the marketing campaign isn't even playing up the comic book connection at all.

I think that's it. How many folks REALIZE it's based on a comic?

Don C.

Comment

• jwyblejr
        galactic yo-yo
        • Apr 6, 2006

Yeah,I think they're trying to see if this will be another Men In Black. A comic no one knows about turned into a movie and makes a buttload of money.

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

Maybe because no one reads Wanted in the first place to even give a dang about it?
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Airdave817
            Satellite Monitor Duty
            • May 31, 2007

I have to admit that Hellboy was a great movie. But (scream and curse at me if you must), I had no interest in reading a Hellboy comic book. I did read the Starman/Batman/Hellboy crossover. That was prety good. I saw one of the Hellboy animated movies. Hellboy was inserted into a number of Asian folklore stories. It was unusual.

I read online somewhere that The Umbrella Academy was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I picked up all five issues. I got a headache from reading it.

I read that The Freshmen was pretty good. I picked up the trade paperback and was impressed by Seth Green and his buddy's work. It was different.

I'd read about Wanted, but I wasn't sure whether or not I'd be disappointed as I had been before. It could be a Hellboy. It could be The Umbrella Academy. It could be The Freshmen. It could even be Hellblazer or Ghost Rider.

I saw James McAvoy in Atonement. He was pretty good. Anything Morgan Freeman is in I'll see. I'm ambivalent toward Angelina Jolie anymore. I'm not sure I'd bother seeing a movie she's in.

As Jon Stewart would say, "No disrespect" if you like Wanted. I stick by my argument - comics are comics and movies are movies. I read comics and enjoy them. I see movies and enjoy them. I don't expect to see a comic movie and expect it to be comic book.
            Shameless self-promotion -
            Earth-Dave
            KROC-FM
            Look for me as Dave Berg on Facebook!

sigpic
            "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!"

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎