Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mandysalterego
    • Jan 18, 2008

paint for customs

My son wants to start customizing figures...what kind of paint is best? We tried once several years ago but the paint we used dried sticky. Thank you!!
  • apes3978
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 19, 2005

Most people will say any of the acrylic paints you can get at WALMART or HOBBY LOBBY work well... I've used a few of them myself and have to agree. There's no stickiness to them... Just paint them on in light layers (biggest reason is so you don't over do it and cover the deatils) and you should be okay...

Comment

• ctc
      Fear the monkeybat!
      • Aug 16, 2001

>Most people will say any of the acrylic paints you can get at WALMART or HOBBY LOBBY work well...

Yup; but prime the pieces first (I use auto primer, but nay primer should work) and varnish them after. (I use Testors varnish on mine.) Acrylics tend to be fragile wehn dry.

Don C.

Comment

• Boris71
        GeekBot' For Life
        • May 13, 2007

I tend to use either citadel acrylics or vallejo acrilics I have found they both have a wide range of colours and stick well to both resin and plastics
        Check out my Electronic Mag here Psycho Styrene Modeling Magazine

Comment

• Action Martin
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 30, 2007

I'm looking to touch up the hair on one of my SWAT figures. All I need to do is brush on a little acrylic black?
          Scott

Comment

• apes3978
            Permanent Member
            • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by ctc

Yup; but prime the pieces first (I use auto primer, but any primer should work) and varnish them after. (I use Testors varnish on mine.) Acrylics tend to be fragile when dry.

Good point, I forgot to mention the priming part... That is an important aspect if you really want your paint job to stick to the casting...

As far as varnishing them, I don't varnish them because I think that'd make them too glossy... I use KRYLON matte finish which I found at WALMART... But as far as the finish, of course that's all a personal taste...

Comment

• HardyGirl
              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
              • Apr 3, 2007

I found a nice all purpose matte that you mix w/ the paint before you use it. It works really well.
              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• ctc
                Fear the monkeybat!
                • Aug 16, 2001

>I'm looking to touch up the hair on one of my SWAT figures. All I need to do is brush on a little acrylic black?

On a vynil head I use automotive interior paint. Soaks into the material, bonds better than the original paint. Use it outdoors, it contains a potent neurotoxin. (It's fine once it dries.)

>I use KRYLON matte finish which I found at WALMART

That'll do. Testors is cheap and plentiful around here, so I use that. Ultimately a spray varnish is a spray varnish. (Except for urethane, which yellows over time.) I use a coat of gloss first, and when it's dry hit it with mat to take off the shine. Gloss sprays protect better than mat but yeah, they're shiney.

>I found a nice all purpose matte that you mix w/ the paint before you use it.

That's good too. I use a special catalyst with my airbrush paint. Acrylics tend to be pretty fragile, and my figures actually get played with; so I prefer a heavier spray on.

Don C.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

I've gotten away from using any sort of sealer or varnish, since I have yet to find one that doesn't make stuff look shiny or if I use it over a painted sculpy piece, the clear coat stays tacky.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
                    Career Member
                    • May 14, 2007

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                    I've gotten away from using any sort of sealer or varnish, since I have yet to find one that doesn't make stuff look shiny or if I use it over a painted sculpy piece, the clear coat stays tacky.
                    Joe you need to use Testors Dulcote. Doesn't react and it's a very flat sealer. The rattle can works great, but the little bottle is even flatter. Out of the bottle can be hand brushed or airbrushed. The best stuff to use for flat finishes.

Bob

Comment

• phil
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 11, 2007

I use Delta Ceramcoat acrylic paints which can be found at Michael's and
                      Joann Fabrics craft stores. There is a wide variety of colors available.

I also reccomend reading Dave Mc Mormick's tutorial on painting heads. It's
                      a great help especially for beginners.

Comment

• mandysalterego
                        • Jan 18, 2008

Where can I find Dave McMormick's book?

Comment

• Action Martin
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 30, 2007

Not a book. A tutorial.
                          Painting for the artistically challenged…
                          Scott

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎