X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cosmicman
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 12, 2005

chawks08's Rogue & Psylocke

Completing my long quest for a Rogue & Psylocke figure I turned to my friend Mark Keach who is now on this board under the name chawks08. He did such an awesome job on this Gambit custom awhile back that I bought from him that I had to have the Rogue that went along side his Gambit. Then my daughter pointed out that Mark also had a Psylocke figure and at her request I purchased these two gems from Mark.

What is really awesome about this is how Mark Keach roots hair. He actually pulls all of the original doll hair out by the roots and he stuffs the new hair down a top in the head he cuts off and he spreads it out throughout the doll's head. I think this is a brilliant idea. Hopefully Mark will post a tutorial on how he did this. It is much easier then poking a million holes through the dolls head, strand by strand...

Here is the Rogue he made. Check out this jacket. It was hand made from the same table cloth material he did with the Gambit. The fine stitching almost has a Brian Leitner feel to it on the green and yellow fabric. The headband on the head actually holds the brown and white hair in place....

This Psylocke of Mark's is awesome also. I think the head is a repainted and rooted Dinah Mite doll. I am sure he can answer some of questions about his new method of adding doll hair. It really belongs in the custom tutorial area. I have never seen this...

More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...
  • The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

I remember Mark Keach....from way back, before I found the Mego Museum(He probably doesn't remember Me though). He sent Me some Pic's of His Custom's a long time ago. He does nice work...I LOVE His Pheonix!!

I HATE the Rouge Head though...She looks ugly! I would try to pick one up from the Guy on eBay, that "re-roots" the Supergirl Heads(He does Rouge)...great Costume though!
    sigpic

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by The Bat
      I remember Mark Keach....from way back, before I found the Mego Museum(He probably doesn't remember Me though). He sent Me some Pic's of His Custom's a long time ago. He does nice work...I LOVE His Pheonix!!

I HATE the Rouge Head though...She looks ugly! I would try to pick one up from the Guy on eBay, that "re-roots" the Supergirl Heads(He does Rouge)...great Costume though!
      I totally agree bro,they look good but Rouges face looks a little old
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• chawks08
        • Jun 1, 2008

Hey Guys, Wow it's been so long since I did a custom. Let's see if I can answer your questions. These were done back in the early 90's circa Jim Lee's Xmen days 1989-92 so this was before ebay & just before the internet for the masses. So the Mego female figures were very hard to come by (flea markets, toy shows, etc.) so you worked with what you could find. If I had a choice I would've used a softer face (Dinah-mite), but this is all I had at the time - I think it was a Mrs. Walton possibly? Not sure. If I were to redo I would use a female with softer features.

As far as the hair I think (remembering back 15 yrs+, so it's definitely not new to me) I just cut out the scalp of the figure & used hair from my little ponies I would find at flea mkts (odd colors like for instance Psylocke) or from a craft store, tied it together with wire and a touch of glue gun in the scalp I cut out, shoved it in & styled it after. You can use a hair dryer to style the hair - the heat will make the plastic hair more pliable (don't get too close or it will melt). I had a hair dryer you could set on low heat.

Honestly, if I were to do again I might try the rerooting thing because you would have more control over the hair as far as styling & I agree Rogue looks aged (Rogue at 45?), but not ugly! Yeah, if I were to do her today I would find a younger head on ebay, etc.

Comment

• Meule
          Verbose Member
          • Nov 14, 2004

Wow, those are friggin cool... and these are from the early 90's? Even sweeter
          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• BlackKnight
            The DarkSide Customizer
            • Apr 16, 2005

I saw the Psylocke,... Very cool figure . Love the Hair & the head that was used.
            ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎