Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Great Toyline (to make you smile!)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grayhank
    That Fisher Price Guy
    • Feb 9, 2007

Another Great Toyline (to make you smile!)

As I've recently said in another forum post, I've been away from the Mego site for the past couple of months. Here's a glimpse as to the reason why I've been away during that time. Some of you may have seen pics of part of my toy collection on the old forums. Well as an avid Star Wars toys collector I basically finished out the line. I then turned to collecting an old childhood favorite...Megos.

After buying up all the Megos that I could find and afford, I started making my own customs. Once I made about 18 custom Megos I felt it was time to catch up on another old childhood favorite. Anyone who remembers collecting and buying the original Megos when they came out as a kid will surely appreciate this other classic line. I'm sure many of you had these back in the pre-Mego days! Hope these bring back some fun memories for you! Enjoy!

Ok the pics are coming now!

You can see I've been quite busy on ebay. I now have over 225 different Little People. No two figures are exactly alike in this pic. Unfortunately there are far too many to fit into one group shot. The first three rows are very old as they are the original all wood bodies & heads.

If you're going to have over 225 different Fisher Price Little People, you've got to have a few playsets to go with them. These sets are nearly 100% complete and original. I could probably write a book on what goes with each set now.

If anyone has any Fisher Price Little People items they are looking to part with, please send me a PM because I am still looking to buy!
    Last edited by grayhank; Jun 9, '07, 5:54 PM.
    Scott D Thompson | Facebook
  • Wolverine1969
    Career Member
    • Apr 7, 2005

Pretty cool collection there. I have my castle, airport and garage to this day. Probably still have a large number of the FP people as well.
    It was like that when I got here.

Comment

• Marvelmania
      A Ray of Sunshine
      • Jun 17, 2001

That sure looks fun! I never had any Little People toys when I was a kid and I'm glad that I don't collect them now (far too many, lol). Love the pictures!

Comment

• jwyblejr
        galactic yo-yo
        • Apr 6, 2006

The funny thing is,they just aired 12 Angry Little People again on Robot Chicken. One of their better skits if you ask me.

Comment

• The Toyroom
          The Packaging King
          • Dec 31, 2004

Definitely made me smile! Some awesome stuff there!
          Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• MegoMonk
            Career Member
            • Jan 22, 2007

That's a great collection. I think I only had the airport and barn as a kid, but I got a lot of playtime out of them.

Comment

• toys2cool
              Ultimate Mego Warrior
              • Nov 27, 2006

Great collection man,I love it,and the way you displayed them looks perfect
              "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
              My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Evel KMego
                Museum Daredevil
                • Apr 26, 2006

That's a fun looking collection! Wow, when you set your mind on something you really go for it!

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
                  Stays Crunchy in Milk
                  • Aug 2, 2004

Great collection. I had quite a few Little People sets. My Grandmother bought me one every b-day and Christmas. I think you've covered everything I had except... the Farris Wheel.
                  Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• megoscott
                    Founding Partner
                    • Nov 17, 2006

Awesome. If I could handle the pandora's box it would open I'd get a Castle and the Village. I loved those sets so much as a kid I always wanted them. But it's too much to collect and store for me. Still, a reasonably priced line to collect and a lot of fun. Great toys.
                    This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                      The Packaging King
                      • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by Comic Book Geek
                      Great collection. I had quite a few Little People sets. My Grandmother bought me one every b-day and Christmas. I think you've covered everything I had except... the Farris Wheel.
                      The Ferris Wheel! My little brother had that when he was a baby and he'd throw it off his high chair tray! That thing was heavy! I always liked the little boy who cranked the wheel...didn't look too pleased to be working that day!

We also had the schoolhouse and a different barn than the one pictured above.
                      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• grayhank
                        That Fisher Price Guy
                        • Feb 9, 2007

Yeah that Castle is what got me collecting those little buggers again! I found an almost complete set at a yard sale. I thought to myself upon seeing it that that was the one set I always wanted as a kid but never got. So I bought it thinking how silly it was to be a 43 year old man buying preschool toys. I then had to research it to see what pieces were actually missing. I did not realize at the yard sale the door I was about to open. The Castle set contains some of the most expensive and hardest pieces to acquire: The Pink Dragon, the Knight and the extremely rare Horse Carraige Harness. It was an ebay nightmare!

I am somewhat easily distracted and have OCD. I can look on ebay for a specific item like the horse harness and end up buying two or three other things in the process. Needless to say that's how my entire little people collection came to be in less than two months time. Somebody please STOP ME!

Comment

• HardyGirl
                          Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                          • Apr 3, 2007

I've always loved FP Little People, but I never owned any as a child. My dad's co-workers daughters had them, and we'd always play when I visited them. (Please don't think I'm racist for what your about to read), but the reason I never asked for these is b/c I always thought they were only for white children. I never knew any black kids who had these, (I grew up on the outskirts of Harlem), and my dad's co-worker's kid were white, so in my little kid brain, I surmised these toys were for white kids. Fast foward to adulthood, when I started teaching pre-school when I lived in WI, the 3-old class had almost all of these sets and a TON of people. The kids loved them, I secretly wanted to take them home and play w/ them like I did when I was a kid at those little girls' house. I hate the ones they have now. They don't look nearly as fun, and look how many survived playing w/ them in their original shape. If I had kids, I'd get them class FP Little People.
                          "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                          'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                          Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                          If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• grayhank
                            That Fisher Price Guy
                            • Feb 9, 2007

That's an interesting point you make. Indeed most of the Little People were in fact white. There were probably three or four recurring black boys and a couple of black men for about the first 10-15 years of the line. The first black woman didn't appear until the Sesame Street set came out which included Susan (and Gordon). These are the only two Black parent types in the entire vintage line. A black girl wasn't made until the new School was finally introduced near the end of the vintage run. This girl has only appeared in this set and she is considered to be rare. Also appearing in the set was the first Asian boy. A couple of the newer sets also featured the first Hispanic looking boy and girl.

Here's a glimpse into Little People Cultural Diversity

Last edited by grayhank; Jun 10, '07, 12:39 PM. Reason: add picture

Comment

• HardyGirl
                              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                              • Apr 3, 2007

I'm not so sure black kids not having FP Little People was an issue b/c of lack of black figures as much as it was a cultural thing. I knew plenty of black kids who had white dolls/action figures. And black kids had other FP type toys like that Chatter Phone, and the school days desk and the wind-up radio music box. But the kids I grew up w/ just never owned any Little People. The first black kid I saw w/ an FP Main Street set was my little cousin Dane and his family lived in Laguna Beach CA (a prodominently white area). I really don't know why this was the case. I just thought I wasn't supposed to own any. Weird how kid's minds work, huh?
                              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎