• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Favorite "Batman" Artists

This one is a toughie...

1. Neal Adams: Something about his version of the Darknight Detective I find iconic.

2. Jim Aparo: Besides Neal Adams, Batman art from the 70s to me means Jim Aparo. One of the most underated artists...a favorite of mine on many issues of "Brave and the Bold", "Batman", "Untold Legend of the Batman". I didn't care later on when he was paired with Bill Sienkewicz as an inker though.

3. Frank Miller: Only his artwork on "The Dark Knight" (not his writing on "All-Star Batman"...bleeech!)

4. David Mazzuchelli: Miller's partner-in-crime on "Batman: Year One"...another underated artist.

5. George Perez: He makes it believable that Batman could be a power player in various cosmic Crisis cross-overs.

6. Dick Sprang: The best of the "Bob Kane" era...with a sense of style and flair that was far better than Kane (or his other ghosts)

7. Bob Kane: Controversial yes...but you've gotta give the devil his due.

8. Carmine Infantino: He pumped up Batman's sales with his "New Look". Thanks to that AND a little ol' TV series we still have Batman today, instead of cancellation.

9. Marshall Rogers: Although he only did like 6 issues of "Detective" originally he left his mark on Batman, especially with the "Laughing Fish" story.

10. Don Newton: Another unsung hero on Batman as far as I'm concerned. I liked the moody atmosphere he brought to the book.
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!
  • Raydeen1
    Persistent Member
    • May 23, 2008

Excellent choices.

Mine, in no particular order:

Marshall Rogers drew a Clayface story I absolutely love and I loved everything about the way he drew Batman... except his nose. lol.

Don Newton. Another excellent choice. His lines we so clean. He did real detail. Not the 100000 lines everywhere Image style.

Dick Giordano. More because of the stories he drew than the art. Some of my faves were with his artwork. Appointment in Crime Alley being one.

Neal Adams. What can you say? At the time Neal came on board, I liked Batman with the shorter ears like the Mego and Neal did amazing work.

Michael Golden. My fondest Golden story is Tomb of the White Bat. I think that's the title. I have the issue and it's always been a favorite and a standout for the art. He drew Micronauts as well and I love his style.

Jim Aparo. Again, what can you say? The cover of Testimony of the Riddler is one I can see vividly in my mind and probably always will. I think it's the most memorable cover of any comic for me.

Carmine Infantino. His Batman looked alot like Adam West and when I was young, he was my all time fave. Mom got me "Batman from the 30s to the 70s" when I was little and Carmine's stories and look for the characters were my favorite. "The Million Dollar Debut of Batgirl" is probably in my top 3 Batman stories. I loved his style and take on the cast.

Alex Toth. I forgot to mention him on the Favorite Superman artists but I think we all have him as a fave. I have a Superfriends coloring book that he may have drawn. If he didn't, whoever did copped his style very well.

Dick Sprang. Just a silly Batman era and one I loved for it's simplicity and fun.

Brian Bolland. One of the few more recent artists I actually like. Killing Joke has some amazing art.

Bruce Timm. I love the look on JLU except the gloves. What's with the razor blade look on the spikes/fringes thingies on Bats' gloves lately?

Bob Kane. His simplistic style created my favorite character of all time and one I have loved since I can remember. I have pics of Batman I drew when I was 3 so I can remember pretty far back. lol. I loved the original look of Batman with the high boots and long, more bat-like ears.

There are many I am missing but I think these are my top choices. I haven't liked much Batman art in a long time. I can't stand Jim Lee on DC characters let alone Bats. I can't think of a single recent Batman artist I really liked. A few are good but not awe inspiring like some of the gentlemen listed above. I do love Robin's new look and I like the art in the one recent Robin comic I have. No idea who the artist is though.

Comment

• BlackKnight
      The DarkSide Customizer
      • Apr 16, 2005

Aparo
      Adams
      Breyfogle
      Lee
      Daniels
      Kubert
      Jones ,.. I really liked his Vampire stories
      Mignolia
      Sprang
      Benes
      ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• The Toyroom
        The Packaging King
        • Dec 31, 2004

Kelley Jones! Man he did some awesome work on "Batman" too! Love those super long ears and the gothic look he brought to the pages...

Comment

• mego boy CA
          megos are FUN!!
          • Mar 30, 2006

two pop up in my head: Jim Lee and Todd McFarlane.
          sigpic
          "To The Batmobile!"
          "We Haven't A Moment To Lose!"

Comment

• Bionic Joe
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 10, 2006

The very best is hands down is NEAL ADAMS, the very worst was in the 90s a really bad artist named KELLY JONES

Comment

• BlackKnight
              The DarkSide Customizer
              • Apr 16, 2005

^^^ Read the Vampire Story.
              ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

Comment

• BlackKnight
                The DarkSide Customizer
                • Apr 16, 2005

Originally posted by mego boy CA
                two pop up in my head: Jim Lee and Todd McFarlane.

I liked Todd's Batman. Batman Year2 Was Great !

Comment

• mego boy CA
                  megos are FUN!!
                  • Mar 30, 2006

^^^ yes! Batman Year2 was Great for sure!
                  sigpic
                  "To The Batmobile!"
                  "We Haven't A Moment To Lose!"

Comment

• The Toyroom
                    The Packaging King
                    • Dec 31, 2004

I didn't care for McFarlane on "Year:Two"...I wish Alan Davis and Paul Neary were able to continue past part 1...

Comment

• madmarva
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jul 7, 2007

Like Superman, Batman is a character that brings out the best in many artists.

I really liked Don Newton's Batman and Gene Colan's smokey style was also cool, too, in the early 1980s after having Irv Novick and Jim Aparo's clean style on the books in the 1970s. Nothing against Novick and Aparo, they drew more than a few of my favorite Batman issues. Aparo would probably be No. 2 on my all-time Batman artist list.

Loved Mazzuchelli on Year One. Other than Neal Adams, he's the artist I would most like to see take another crack at Batman.

As for Adams, he re-defined the character, taking him back to his roots. My favorite Batman artist and overall probably my favorite comic book artist.

Alan Davis and Norm Breyfogle were both very good.

I liked Gil Kane's Dark Knight and he was THE Batgirl artist in my mind.

You certainly, can't look past Dick Sprang and Carmine Infantino. Their Batman defined eras for the character.

Jerry Robinson's Batman would be my favorite from the Golden Age.
                      Last edited by madmarva; Jun 13, '08, 11:21 PM.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                        OH JES!!
                        • Jul 21, 2005

Okay this is hard....
                        1.Bob Kane no matter what is said of him he still created on of the Greatest heros of all time. I love his Batman Dailies

2.Neil Adams: The greatest modern version of batman that everyone copies from.His version of batman Scared the hell out of me when i was a kid.

3.Jim Aparo: Flat out awesome Batman one of my all time favs!
                        4.Don Newton: One of my faves I use to love copying his Batman poses when i was a teen.
                        5.Dick Sprang: one of the Greats from the Golden age Loved how he did the caped crusaders
                        6.Bruce Timm: His animated Batman redefined Batman in the 90's and made millions of fans and imitators...I never get tired of watching TAS

7.Alex Ross: again a master at bringing heroes to life. War on Crime was an amazing piece of work.

8.Mike Mignola: Gotham by Gaslight,one of my all time favs. hell of a master storyteller and a Turn of the century looking Batman.....wanna make a off beat Batman movie? make this!!!! Batman vs Jack the Ripper plus the action figure rocks!!!

9.Frank Miller The Dark Knight: still good too bad he's not.

10.David Mazzuchelli : One hell of a master storyteller wish he would do Batman again

Jim lee does great pin ups of Batman

Comment

• Action Martin
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 30, 2007

Jim Aparo
                          Neal Adams
                          Marshall Rogers
                          George Perez
                          Dick Giordano
                          Dick Dillin
                          Don Newton
                          Last edited by Action Martin; Jun 15, '08, 6:16 AM.
                          Scott

Comment

• twilitezoner
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 18, 2007

Originally posted by Action Martin
                            Jim Aparo
                            Neal Adams
                            Marshall Rogers
                            George Perez
                            Dick Dillin
                            Don Newton
                            Pretty close to my list. As far as Miller goes, I guess I am one of the few people that disliked the art for the Dark Knight Returns.

Comment

• Action Martin
                              Persistent Member
                              • Dec 30, 2007

I'm no fan of Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns either.
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎