X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rikitikitavi
    Museum Mongoose
    • Aug 15, 2003

Vintage Star Wars reproductions

I guess I'm a bit of a "grand dame" about my vintage Star Wars collection. I keep the originals in a safe and wear the paste copy out to the balls. To my chagrin I saw how easily my boxed action figures from 1979/80 and my 12/20/21 backs could get damaged. It was no longer possible to display them in any interactive way . . .or just display them period. I'm not an "investor" collector. I'm a sentimental one. What's the point in collecting if you can't enjoy the fruits thereof? But no one wants to see their collection go to pot!

The only solution was to have replicas made. The problem was that nobody made exact replicas. The early replicas were so bad that an onus still hangs over the very expression "Star Wars replica."

However, thanks to this web board I can display again 12 inch figures in original replica boxes that are as near identical in their layout and graphics as can be. For my original 12 backs/21 backs I came across someone on eBay who has turned out to be a real score. Now, today, I discovered he has been a member here for about a year.

So it is time to showcase the work of our own Mike Rogers and now Craig Owen.

Let's start with Mike: I've dealt with Mike for almost 4 years now. He worked in art in New York and did Mego replicas as a hobby. Well, I asked him to take the challenge and he accepted. I scanned my 12 inch figure boxes and he's been at work. Come November it will be about 2 years since he started and I only have 2 replicas in my possesion. That gives you an idea of how exacting he is. These will be the only replicas of their kind. He knows how anal I am about Star Wars, so he knows he has carte blanche in time to do it right.

Let's look at some pics:

The color is a bit washed out from my camera, but you can see the quality.

Now guess which is the fake!

Actually only obi-wan is reall, as you can see the damage. The other 2 are reproductions!

Mike has Leia and Luke pending . . .

For a couple of years I've been placing mint loose figures on the replica cards of Craig Owen (figs and weapons always authentic originals; I don't tolerate repro weapons!). More than boxes, original 12 backs can get easily damaged. I could no longer display them in the original bins because of their value. To dissemble such a display is a pity. But thanks to Craig, check out the following:

In the left 2 rows original 12 backs. In the right 2 rows Craig's replicas. When he first began the punch tab was printed on the card as part of the graphics. This was one way to tell them from originals. The cards are the exact same size, with identical die cut corners. The backer card is near identical board, with the front printed in gloss and the back in matte like the originals. The bubbles are identical repros. Craig's kits even include the acetate strip to place behind Leia, Obi, Jawa (vinyl cape), Sand People's capes. The footers are identical and cut to precison.

Craig's cards are a little thicker and stronger than the originals. But only a little. They still fit in the slot in the plastic display tray. Let's have another look.

The reproductions are in the 2 foreground rows. They are thicker, tend to be straight and do not take on the curving potato chip shape the originals could take on.

Last year, Craig went beyond even this. He removed the printed punch tab and used an exact replica punch tab. Not a modern punch tab that anyone might buy that is used in stores. An exact copy was made. Check out the results.

I believe the one on left is what Craig calls the "Proof" version, which means it might shows some signs of the original flange. The one on right is enhanced. The "Proof" is closer to the common backer orange used. Hmmm, I think I might have to order a "proof" of Luke with the realistic punch tab now. I like the color!

The pic is pretty big. Go to this link to see Sandpeople compared:

http://www.cwo.com/~dom/Sanpeople.JPG

There were variations in backer color, but I noted that the chartruese green is more common. Craig's (on right) is a darker green.

A look at the authenticity of the bubbles:

The Jawa is a real version, a variation on an Artoo bubble. He comes with a "footer" bent behind his back to hold him in place in the bubble. I guess I'll eventually have to make a replica of that since Craig has an artoo bubble. The real one has a rough bottom on the card, but I kept it because of the variation.

Work in progress:

The footers are not on white board, but on authentic cardboard stock. The double sided tape is die cut to conform to the glue line.

The result: a retro blast into a toy store of, say, 1979 (all are reproductions in this pic):

The history is always preserved on the packaging, and now I can retain all the color and graphics of original Star Wars figures without worrying about their destruction and devaluation! At the same time I permenantly preserve a sample of a perfect by-gone Star Wars figure! I hope Craig can expand his offerings. Right now Hammerhead, Power Droid, Snaggletooth and R5D4 are not available.

I highly recommend Mike and Craig's work!
  • ABMAC
    User
    • May 16, 2002

What an amazing display of skill and talent. Bravo!

Comment

• huedell
      Museum Ball Eater
      • Dec 31, 2003

My goodness---that's some beautiful stuff

Tears---baby---tears

Nice to see Vintage Star Wars dreams realized with a little help
      from some friends and some modern printing!
      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

Man...that's some really GREAT Stuff! Congrat's!
        sigpic

Comment

• Wolverine1969
          Career Member
          • Apr 7, 2005

Beautiful, simply beautiful.
          It was like that when I got here.

Comment

• Meule
            Verbose Member
            • Nov 14, 2004

Oh man, what a sight
            "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎