X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Belated Adventure Con report

My family headed down to the Piegon Forge/Gatlinburg, TN area Sunday, and decided to stop at Adventure Con. It was no Mego Meet, but I did find some cool things, and some other nice items while on vacation.

Overall, the Adventure Con seemed like a nice show with a good mix of vintage and new stuff. Much more vintage here than at bigger shows like Wiz World Chicago, Motor City, and Pittsburgh Con. There was TONS of Star Wars stuff. But then, the celebrity guests skewed towards Star Wars, due to the 30th anniversary no doubt. Attendance seemed a bit low, but it was the last day. I liked not having to fight the large crowds. I got to browse more. My kid benefitted from the last day sales, when one vendor proclaimed "Everything in the booth is $2". We chucked down $27, and Andrew went home with swag from every conceivable super hero line of the last 20 years.

On the Mego front, I saw quite a bit. Several Mad Monsters (as well as AHI and 9" Remcos). Two 12" Hulks, at two different booths, for $30. I passed since both were fairly beat up. Other common WGSH were found in fairly beat-up shape. Saw a Fonzie with no shirt, a 8" Luke Duke with a broken leg, and some 3 3/4 Duke figures. I considered getting them, but passed at first. Then at another I saw a pretty nice General Lee for $20. I knew I could go to that other booth and get Bo and Roscoe. So I did! I got the small Boss Hogg at the Meet last year. Now I've gotten into collecting the small Dukes somehow!

I also picked up a 3 3/4 Legend of the Lone Ranger Tonto (not pictured) a Robin cake/pencil topper that I had as a kid, and this weird Superman. The seller said it was Japanese and they made it in several colors, as well as other figures in different poses. The oddness of it, 79/Mego era copyright, and Neal Adams artwork made it a must have for $5. Anyone have any info?

I didn't have too much luck at the local antique malls this year. I did get me a new Flash Pepsi Moon Glass to replace my faded one, and the odd Batmobile seen above. Well, it's odd to me. At first glance, it looked like a Corgi with yellow instead of red interior. But it's marked Playart. It's beat up, but I had never seen one, so I spent $4.50 for it. It may have been too much, but it called to me.

We had a great time on vacation besides. Good family fun. I missed you guys at Mego Meet, but at least I got my vintage toy-buying fix!

Chris
    sigpic
Working...
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎