X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Favorite "Superman" Artists?

1. Curt Swan (inked by Murphy Anderson or George Klein)...the be-all, end-all for Superman artists as far as I'm concerned. Swan's Supes is what I picture in my mind's eye when I think of the character.

2. Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez: He brought Superman into the 70s with his great dynamic cover work (and occassional interior pencils) but his true mark on the character is on all of the DC Licensing Style Guides he did. Phenomenal stuff!

3. Neal Adams: Mostly a Supes cover artist, but he did some early interior work on the character in "World's Finest".

4. John Byrne: His "revamp" was so long ago now it's become status quo! But he definitely brought renewed interest to the book for me back then.

5. Alex Ross: Superman brought to life...'nuff said.

6. Wayne Boring: His Superman was more barrel-chested than anything else and his poses of Superman taking off into flight always looked peculiar but I like the charm to his work, very 50s.

7. Kurt Schaffenberger: He was better at drawing Lois Lane but his Supes was no slouch either (although his Clark Kent was )

8. Joe Shuster: Golden Age great who really didn't get to shine and grow past his initial creation.

9. George Perez: No matter what his Superman is doing (moving planets, saving the world, pounding a villain) he seems to do so effortless, without breaking a sweat.

10. Ross Andru/Dick Giordano: All right, it's two for the price of one but their "Superman vs. The Amazing Spider-Man" is fabulous! In addition they seemed to do countless Superman covers for the DC Digests.
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!
  • MegoSteve
    Superman's Pal
    • Jun 17, 2005

I really like Renato Guedes, especially when he inks and colors his own work. I haven't been thrilled with his Superman run so far, though.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
      OH JES!!
      • Jul 21, 2005

Woohoo!
      1.Joe Shuster and his many assistants: The Golden age Superman holds it's charm for me to this very day. it was the first version of Superman i ever saw. I felt Shuster was getting better before he quit the book.

2.Curt Swan: The Superman I grew up with. Great story teller and iconic look.The Mego Superman is based on Swan's version. Plus I got to meet him and speak with him about Superman a big thrill for me.

3.Wayne Boring: The Superman artist of the 50's although he was an assistant for shuster in the 40's. His style is unmistakeable and drew a powerful looking version of Superman..also had great flying poses.

4.Neil Adams: Probably drew some of the most memorable images of Superman in the late 60's and 70's

5..Jerry Ordway: Running about the same time as Bryne's run. I personally thought it was better than Bryne's run

6..John Bryne: He's so full of himself but did a Good job during his short ego driven run.

7.Gil Kane: His run on the book from 1983-84 for me was amazing a master at anatomy he would draw Superman in amazing poses.

8.Jose Garcia lopez: An amazing Illustrator did many promotional stuff covers and his Superman vs Wonder Woman was Fantastic.

9.Alex Ross: He draws for me the Ultimate version of Superman. If Superman was a real person this is what he would look like.

10.George perez: Had a great short run on Superman.....Master storyteller and his attention to detail is amazing.

Honarable mention: Ross Andru: Superman vs Spiderman, Steve Rude: World's Finest ,H.J.Wray: His painting from the 40's is a stunning piece of work it was later published as the cover for one of the treasury Editions....

Comment

• Airdave817
        Satellite Monitor Duty
        • May 31, 2007

I'd have to go with Ross Andru. I remember the two-part Action Comics story from 1980 with Superman and Luthor. Action Comics #510 - 511. Ross Andru was the Superman artist when I was reading Action Comics and Suerman.

2) John Byrne - His version was pretty cool looking.
        3) Alex Ross - Wow!
        4) George Perez - see Alex Ross
        5) Kevin Maguire - There's just something about his work that looks so cool!

I'd have to say that Mark Bagley's Superman in Trinity is pretty good, but Superman looks like Peter Parker's Dad. There really isn't anything distinctive about his Superman - yet...
        Shameless self-promotion -
        Earth-Dave
        KROC-FM
        Look for me as Dave Berg on Facebook!

sigpic
        "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!"

Comment

• Mego Milk
          Custom Mego Maker
          • Jun 3, 2007

McGunness (Superman/Batman, Red Hulk guy)
          Byrne (Man of Steel)
          Ross Andrew (Superman vs. Spidey)

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

Boring, Swan, Byrne,Dwayne Cooke in New Frontier, Alex Ross, and Frank Quitely on the current All Star Supes.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Bionic Joe
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 10, 2006

I grew up reading SUPERMAN in the 70s so to me it's CURT SWAN/MURPHY ANDERSON

Comment

• Captain
                Fighting the good fight!
                • Jun 17, 2001

Curt Swan and Wayne Boring.
                They just drew Supes...right...The way he should look.Everybody else's work is just a drawing....these guys brought life to the big blue boy scout.

Jerry Ordway came close to catching the same thunder.....and I have to say, I thought Jack Kirbys take on the Man of Steel was pretty cool too.
                "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

To push the envelope a bit I want to add the Fleischer Bros. Studios and Bruce Timm.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Toyroom
                    The Packaging King
                    • Dec 31, 2004

The Fleischer stuff is almost like it's on a whole 'nother level..it's THAT freakin' good!
                    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Action Martin
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                      2. Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez: He brought Superman into the 70s with his great dynamic cover work (and occassional interior pencils) but his true mark on the character is on all of the DC Licensing Style Guides he did. Phenomenal stuff!

3. Neal Adams: Mostly a Supes cover artist, but he did some early interior work on the character in "World's Finest".

4. John Byrne: His "revamp" was so long ago now it's become status quo! But he definitely brought renewed interest to the book for me back then.

6. Wayne Boring: His Superman was more barrel-chested than anything else and his poses of Superman taking off into flight always looked peculiar but I like the charm to his work, very 50s.

9. George Perez: No matter what his Superman is doing (moving planets, saving the world, pounding a villain) he seems to do so effortless, without breaking a sweat.

10. Ross Andru/Dick Giordano: All right, it's two for the price of one but their "Superman vs. The Amazing Spider-Man" is fabulous! In addition they seemed to do countless Superman covers for the DC Digests.
                      I love all of the above. Ross Andru and Jose Luis-Garcia Lopez were always my favorite Superman artists. I would add Rich Buckler to the list.
                      Scott

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

Curt Swan. THE Superman artist
                        George Perez. Not only does his "normal" Superman look good, he made the Earth 2 Superman a distinctive character in his own right.
                        Alex Ross. Few capture the majesty of Superman like Ross.
                        Jerry Ordway. The Ordster's Superman is like a modern Wayne Boring. Hugely built but still graceful.
                        Dan Jurgens. The inheritor of the "Neal Adams/Garcia Lopez" look Superman. He was also a heck of good writer on the Superman books for years.
                        Neal Adams. Defining the leaner, more muscular Superman.
                        Jose Luis Garcia Lopez. His Superman is more known than probably any other, thanks to over 25 years of DC style guide artwork. Christopher Reeve translated into line art.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• The Bat
                          Batman Fanatic
                          • Jul 14, 2002

My Fav's:

Neal Adams
                          Jim Lee
                          John Byrne
                          Alex Ross
                          sigpic

Comment

• Raydeen1
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 23, 2008

I've never been a huge Superman fan but I do have some faves.

Curt Swan. So classic. A friendlier, less "realistic" Superman.

Ross Andru. He drew so many cool comics. One cover of his that stand out was I think Action Comics 300. Superman holding a copy of the comic, holding a copy of the comic, holding a copy of the comic, etc... It's been ingrained in my mind for years but I never did get that issue.

Neal Adams. One of my favorite comics ever. Superman vs Muhammed Ali. Insane! My Mom got it for me when it first came out an I still have it.

George Perez but only for his very cool Luthor suit and revamped Brainiac/skull version.

Plus numerous artists of World's Finest. One of the best comics ever.

Comment

• Raydeen1
                              Persistent Member
                              • May 23, 2008

Has anyone posted a favorite Batman Artists?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎