X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Action Martin
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 30, 2007

The Fly and the Shield

I've been thinking that since we will most likely never see WGSH retro figures anytime soon what heroes would be cool to have as "new" Megos from either EmCe or as part of Castaway Toys' Captain Action line. The first two that pop into mind are the Joe Simon & Jack Kirby creations The Fly and The Shield (Double Life of Private Strong). Both heroes were part of Archie Comics venture into super-hero comics in the late 50s. The Fly survived into the 60s and both heroes were part of Archie Comics' Red Circle Comics and Archie Adventure Series of the 80s.

"Now, Scott, why would you just list those two and not the rest of Archie's Mighty Crusaders heroes?"

Good question. For one, dealing with ArchieCo could be a hassle and could cost more money that EmCe or Castaway would/could spend. Second, the Fly and the Shield are not owned by ArchieCo anymore. In the early 2000s, ArchieCo got "scared" with all the creator lawsuits (the Siegel & Shuster heirs, Carmine Infantino, Joe Simon, Mart Nodell, etc.) that they reverted all rights to the Shield and the Fly (and the non-Simon & Kirby created Fly-Girl) back to Joe Simon. I think it would be easier to negotiate with Joe and his grandson than the heads of ArchieCo for characters like the original Shield, Black Hood, the Jaguar, et. al.

This could also result in a Fighting American action figure.

And I have to think that people are more familiar with the Fly, the Shield, and the Fighting American than the Terror, Fighting Yank, and Captain X.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Action Martin; Jun 8, '08, 11:03 AM.
    Scott
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by Action Martin
    And I have to think that people are more familiar with the Fly, the Shield, and the Fighting American than the Terror, Fighting Yank, and Captain X.

Thoughts?
    That depends...in the scheme of things, the Fly etc. have had a more recent "shelf-life" having appeared sporadically throughout the last couple of decades in various incarnations (anything more recent than DC's "!mpact" line?)...whereas the Black Terror and that group haven't seen sunlight in quite awhile...

....until the recent Alex Ross series" Project Superpowers"....now if you could get the licenses to those characters as re-designed by Ross and tie into comic shops selling the series, you might have something. Ross is a polarizing figure and his name usually attracts a lot of attention.
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ And Alex Ross loves to collect toys, I'd imagine he'd love to see classic styled figures of his latest comics.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• misterdroid
        Banned
        • Jan 10, 2008

I collect Shield, Fly and mighty crusaders stuff... and after talking to a LOT of people I can assure you if a toy line was made, no one would care. It'd be me and you and couple other dorks. Not a great recipe for toy success.
        It's too bad, as I feel a lot of those guys are REALLY underated characters.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

As a fan I'd buy them in a heartbeat but I wonder how big the market is.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Action Martin
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by misterdroid
            after talking to a LOT of people I can assure you if a toy line was made, no one would care.
            Well the original toyline tanked. Could be an omen.
            Scott

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Well the original toyline tanked. Could be an omen.
              Well, to be honest, as hardcore as I am for the Mighty Crusaders even I don't own the Remco line. It's just too "subpar" for even me to care.

If somebody could do 8" versions of them, I'd buy them with both hands but I doubt the interest is there to support the line. Maybe a one day license at SDCC would be the best way to get product out there.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hulk
                Mayor of Megoville
                • May 10, 2003

Never heard of them. Googled them, saw what they looked like, and still no recognition factor.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                  That depends...in the scheme of things, the Fly etc. have had a more recent "shelf-life" having appeared sporadically throughout the last couple of decades in various incarnations (anything more recent than DC's "!mpact" line?)...whereas the Black Terror and that group haven't seen sunlight in quite awhile...

....until the recent Alex Ross series" Project Superpowers"....now if you could get the licenses to those characters as re-designed by Ross and tie into comic shops selling the series, you might have something. Ross is a polarizing figure and his name usually attracts a lot of attention.
                  Actually the Terror and the rest of the Nedor line have appeared in Tom Strong and the Terra Obscura series from ABC Comics lately.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Action Martin
                    Persistent Member
                    • Dec 30, 2007

The Castaway Black Terror is based on the AC Comics version of the character and has a slightly different look from the original Nedor Black Terror.
                    Scott

Comment

• chalwa
                      Mego Philomath
                      • Jun 8, 2007

The Castaway Black Terror is based on the AC Comics version of the character and has a slightly different look from the original Nedor Black Terror.
                      Here's my Ross rendition, finishing touches and a few changes coming.
                      Black Terror - a set on Flickr
                      and here's the great box by Toyroom!!:
                      Project Superpowers:Black Terror (Box) - Mego Talk
                      If ya ain't seen it what's wrong witcha?
                      I have a bunch of the old Nedor comics and loved the Tom Strong version too.Didn't care much for the mini series done by God knows who.
                      I'm actually a bit surprised that more people here don't know this character. I am a Golden Age comics and fandom buff and have been with these guys for years. Showing my age, I guess.
                      Least I have my good looks and health.
                      Koff, koff! Ahem.

bestest
                      Chalwa AKA The Pre-Crisis Chris

Chris' Blogs:
                      The Misadventures of Captain Blog
                      Comic Book Fanzines: Chain Letters for Disturbed Children

When I am grown to man's estate,
                      I shall be very proud and great.
                      And tell the other girls and boys,
                      not to meddle with my toys.
                      -Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

• ctc
                        Fear the monkeybat!
                        • Aug 16, 2001

>It'd be me and you and couple other dorks. Not a great recipe for toy success.

True; depending on the size of your run. One of the reasons we've seen so many super-expensive limited release figures the last 10 years is 'cos the company knows they won't sell a lot of them, but there are enough diehards that they can make a profit with a more expensive piece.

Don C.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

I didn't realize Simon now had the rights to these characters. Doesn't seem right that Kirby's estate doesn't have some interest in these. Of course Simon claims Kirby only drew what he had already designed. If you believe that...

But onto the figures. I actually had all the Remco figures (except the Buzzard, I think?) as a kid. They were dopey, but they were cheap and my mom would spring for 'em when we went to Dollar General. Like everyone else, I can't see these being very popular, but that limited license idea may work. It would help if Simon or someone did a new project or reprint archive of these at the same time.

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• Action Martin
                            Persistent Member
                            • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                            It would help if Simon or someone did a new project or reprint archive of these at the same time.
                            ArchieCo licensed the Fly from Joe and son a couple of years back when they released a tpb of the first few issues of Adventures of the Fly by Simon, Kirby, and Williamson.
                            Scott

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                              Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
                              • Jan 22, 2008

Originally posted by palitoy
                              Well, to be honest, as hardcore as I am for the Mighty Crusaders even I don't own the Remco line. It's just too "subpar" for even me to care.
                              I've placed lowball bids on eBay, but wasn't disappointed when I lost. I'd take a set for free, but these figures are really ugly, looking like they were made by a first time customizer from some crappy toybiz wrestling figures.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎