Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your definition of a "Super Hero"?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HardyGirl
    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
    • Apr 3, 2007

What's your definition of a "Super Hero"?

Although I don't like them now, when I was a kid, I loved Superheroes (DC, Spidey and Hulk). I don't much like them anymore, (Ok, some exceptions, but not enough to own any memoribilia), but I do like good guys I don't really consider "Super Heroes". To me, (and this is just my personal opinion), super heroes meet certain criteria:

1) They have a real identity and a secret identity.
    2)They wear costumes.
    3) In most cases, they have super powers (save Batman & Robin, or Electra Woman & Dyna Girl).
    4) Although they have been known to aid the police, many of them are vigilanties.
    5) They have well known super foes or villains.

Two characters I don't consider Super Heroes are The Six Million Dollar Man, and The Hulk.

Steve Austin doesn't have a secret identity. Many people in this story situation know him as an astronaut. Others know him as a secret agent. While he does possess super strength, it wasn't something he was born w/ or developed as he grew older. It was bestowed upon him thru the wonders of science and skilled surgery. And he doesn't wear costumes, or have super foes.

The Hulk was an accident of science. He doesn't like being the Hulk, he wants to find a way to cure himself. While he does have a secret and real identity, it's not to protect his image as a hero, it's to protect him from being killed for being a monster and a murderer (according to the series). In the TV series, he can't even remember what happens when he's the Hulk, only the last thing he was supposed to do as David Banner.

I'd like to know your take on this.
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by HardyGirl
    Two characters I don't consider Super Heroes are The Six Million Dollar Man, and The Hulk. Steve Austin doesn't have super foes.
    What about Maskatron, Bigfoot or Barney Miller the 7 Million Dollar Man?

The Hulk was an accident of science.
    So were Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, The Flash and countless others.
    Although more often than not a reluctant one, the Hulk IS a super-hero (moreso than he is a super-villain)....founding member of The Avengers as well as The Defenders ain't too shabby. And the Hulk has many, many super-foes such as The Abomination, The Leader, Harpy, Bi-Beast, Wendigo, Tyrannus, The Toad Men....)

If most of your familiarity with the Hulk is from the 70s TV show I can see where your opinion is somewhat skewed, because the show operated nothing like the comic book.
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• HardyGirl
      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
      • Apr 3, 2007

Ok, I'll give you the villains in SMDM, but as for The Hulk, I do have a lot of the 60's cartoon series as well, and he really didn't like being the Hulk and was pursued more than he saved people. I never did get that whole Avengers thing anyway, I thought it was too much of a departure from the original storyline. And you're right, I do draw on the TV seies w/ Bixby/Ferrigno, b/c it was my first exposure to the Hulk (the cartoon being my second when it aired in reruns), and it really tells good stories.
      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
        Stays Crunchy in Milk
        • Aug 2, 2004

Hmm. Honestly, although all of your superhero criteria is iconic, I'd say none of it is essential. I can find examples of characters that would be considered superheroes that would be contrary to your list... although I'm not sure I can find one example that doesn't comply with at least part of your list.
        Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

My definition:

Must have "SUPER POWERS" to be a super hero, whether the powers were man made or not.

Batman is NOT a super hero.
          Neither is Ironman

Comment

• The Toyroom
            The Packaging King
            • Dec 31, 2004

Batman NOT a super hero? Blasphemy! And I think Iron Man has paid his dues as well and meets the criteria

Comment

• DocDrako
              Formerly Doc Drako
              • Nov 11, 2004

For me if the character does heroic things using abilitites that the average person doesn't possess, man made or not, I consider them a superhero.

For me the "super" in superhero stands for superhuman, or a level of ability to help that the average human doesn't possess.

"I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST

Comment

• toys2cool
                Ultimate Mego Warrior
                • Nov 27, 2006

I gotta go with saving lives and fighting the villains,I mean you have to be strong and maybe not have your identity revealed,like having some mystery to the character.I do consider Batman a huge superhero(since for the most part he's always saving the entire Gotham city),but that's just my take on what I like to see in my superheros
                1-Good guy
                2-strength
                3-secret identity
                "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• phil
                  Persistent Member
                  • May 11, 2007

I would consider Doc Savage a super hero even though he doesn't meet some of the criteria. Actually Doc is probably the first super hero in the way
                  most people think of the term.

Besides I really like the character and wanted to give him some praise here.

Comment

• huedell
                    Museum Ball Eater
                    • Dec 31, 2003

Maybe a superhero is simply a man that consciously goes out hunting for
                    criminals (or other kindsa law breakers), and does it outside of regular
                    law enforcement...and you could possibly add "he does it free of charge"?

Like, that would make the A-Team superheroes---so um I don't know how
                    good my definition is
                    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• The Toyroom
                      The Packaging King
                      • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by huedell
                      Like, that would make the A-Team superheroes---so um I don't know how
                      good my definition is
                      Uh, yeah not so good then... cause I don't think of the A-Team as "super-heroes".

Comment

• huedell
                        Museum Ball Eater
                        • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                        Uh, yeah not so good then... cause I don't think of the A-Team as "super-heroes".
                        i'm on the fence myself...cause I felt SO close with that definition

hmmm...

Maybe add that they have to have a dramatic costume to my previous definition?

That may cover it.

Then again B.A. Baracus still may have made the cut
                        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Meule
                          Verbose Member
                          • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by type1kirk
                          Batman is NOT a super hero.

How dare you, blasphemer

String him up

Originally posted by huedell
                          i'm on the fence myself...cause I felt SO close with that definition

hmmm...

Maybe add that they have to have a dramatic costume to my previous definition?

That may cover it.

Then again B.A. Baracus still may have made the cut
                          So would Murdoc and Hannibal has been known to wear disguises too
                          Last edited by Meule; Jun 9, '07, 6:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• huedell
                            Museum Ball Eater
                            • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Meule

So would Murdoc and Hannibal has been known to wear disguises too

Yeah---sigh----I know people might disagree on the whole, but it's kinda
                            like, I feel that the A-TEAM might actually be superheroes in my opinion---
                            but they sure don't look like it in the conventional sense

Not to blaspheme the Batman fans twice in one thread, but it seems like
                            what the A-Team does and what Batman does aren't that far removed

Same thing for, like, Michael Knight----but that government thing---
                            (Kinght Rider works for the government I believe) that goes against what
                            I said about getting paid in my first post

I wonder----does Capt. America get paid by the government
                            for being Capt. America?

Comment

• Hulk
                              Mayor of Megoville
                              • May 10, 2003

To me a Superhero is someone who has extraordinary abilities, natural or otherwise, who regularly sacrifices their own self interests for the sake of others.

Putting too many qualifications on the definition only serves to limit your imagination, and basically eliminates some of the best examples of them. The beauty of superheroes is being able to see the good in others despite their weaknesses. Heroism or superheroism is just an amplification of characteristics we would like to aspire to, and to a large degree, that the best deeds often come with negative consequences.

Ultimately it is their humanity that appeals to us, that we all have chances in life to do heroic things , and these fictional characters allow us to explore that.

In many ways Supervillians serve the same purpose, helping us to define our own morality, as individuals and as a society. Deep, huh?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎