X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Swamp Thing or Man-Thing?

Cast my vote for Swamp Thing....from the Wein/Wrightson beginnings to the early Pasko/Yeates revival to Alan Moore's classic run with Bissette and Totleben, I've always found something enjoyable in almost every incarnation.

I'll admit though that I haven't read Swampy's last few series attempts. Although I liked the adult approach Moore initiated, I always liked when Swampy was more integrated with the rest of the DC Universe.....his team-ups with Batman are classic and I still dig his DC Comics Presents team-up with Supes against Solomon Grundy. Maybe it's time to have him leave the "Vertigo" universe and bring him back to mainstream DC to give him a shot in the arm so to speak...

As for Man-Thing, I still get an adolescent chuckle whenever I read "Whoever knows fear burns at the touch of the Man-Thing" and "Giant-Size Man-Thing", but other than that I've never gotten the hook of the character. But he does have great visuals.
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!
  • Megospidey
    Museum Webslinger
    • Jul 26, 2006

Doesn't Swamp-Thing talk? I've always had a hard time with a thing from the swamp that looks like that and talks. He shouldn't be that intelligent.

Man-thing is a mindless pile of earthen goo....as he should be! My vote: Man-thing! (Besides....Man-Thing is a Marvel character - I can't vote for a DC character Anthony! It goes against my religion)

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

Look Marvel Boy...Swamp Thing was originally Dr. Alec Holland*, the creator of the Bio-Restorative Formula, so I think he has some intelligence (as does Man-Thing's alter ego Dr. Ted Sallis, but his mind seems to have stagnated since the transformation). When he talks, it's very difficult and sounds raspy....most of the time he's a yellow encrusted thought balloon kind of guy (although I think his speech got better in the Moore run).

* or absorbed Alec Holland's essence if you go with the Moore retcon.

Comment

• Marvelmania
        A Ray of Sunshine
        • Jun 17, 2001

As another "Marvel Boy" I'd go with Man-Thing. I just never did read a Swamp Thing comic.

Comment

• Bionic Joe
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 10, 2006

hate to break it to you two marvel boys but swamp thing is better and was better writen and had better art man-thing only had a short run with great art when mike ploog drew the book and the handful of issues by frank brunner but the writing on man-thing was always weak

Comment

• Megospidey
            Museum Webslinger
            • Jul 26, 2006

Originally posted by spockfan74
            hate to break it to you two marvel boys but swamp thing is better and was better writen and had better art man-thing only had a short run with great art when mike ploog drew the book and the handful of issues by frank brunner but the writing on man-thing was always weak

Ploog rocks! Loved him with Man-Thing and Werewolf by Night....so you just reminded me of ANOTHER reason why I loved Man-Thing. I thought the writing was FANTASTIC! It was a Marvel comic after all

Anthony, doesn't DC stand for Degenerative Crap???

Comment

• Bionic Joe
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 10, 2006

like i said ploogs short run the art was great but the writing was still on the poor side, and marvel ain't that great anymore, i don't hate marvel i have a good sized collection of marvel but mostly from the 60s to early 80s but sad to say marvel is a pale compairason to what it useto be

Comment

• Megospidey
                Museum Webslinger
                • Jul 26, 2006

Originally posted by spockfan74
                like i said ploogs short run the art was great but the writing was still on the poor side, and marvel ain't that great anymore, i don't hate marvel i have a good sized collection of marvel but mostly from the 60s to early 80s but sad to say marvel is a pale compairason to what it useto be

Yes, we can agree on this: Marvel today is not the Marvel of old.

When I think of Marvel Comics (I'm 40), I think mainly of the 1960's and 1970's. Today's stuff is very, very bad for the most part.

Comment

• Marvelmania
                  A Ray of Sunshine
                  • Jun 17, 2001

I don't collect any comics past 1980 except for Marvel Secret Wars.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                    The Packaging King
                    • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by Megospidey
                    Doesn't DC stand for Degenerative Crap???
                    Traditionally DC stands for Detective Comics ....but I'm sure you already knew that. Marvel always referred to DC as the Distinguished Competition....but that's was back in the Stan Lee days when Marvel was the House of Ideas. What are the old architects thinking of today's Marvel I wonder...?

Comment

• ramsey37
                      • Jun 18, 2001

Man-Thing has a cooler, more monstrous look, but Swamp Thing's stories are usually better.
                      George

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Swamp Thing for me, the early issues are great, one of the cooler anti heroes of the 70's.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
                          Stays Crunchy in Milk
                          • Aug 2, 2004

I like Man Thing for his look. he's creepy I like that. I can't really think of a single story invloving him even though I've owned quite a few issues that included him.

Swamp thing however has a definite story line I remember liking. The Alan Moore run was great.
                          Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                            OH JES!!
                            • Jul 21, 2005

For me hands down it's SwampThing I loved Wein's and Wrightson's run and Alan Moore's version was Classic....Plus I loved the campy movies and Adrienne Barbeau's R rated Boobie version...I also was a fan of the TV show.....It would be nice if DC would do a new movie with an Alan Moore screenplay wishful thinking

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

Swamp Thing. I always liked that he wasn't REALLY a monster. He was misunderstood. Man-Thing was a monster. He burned people and killed them. He also has a carrot for a nose.

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎