Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Peter Parker camera dilema (once more)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mego73
    Printed paperboard Tiger
    • Aug 1, 2003

The Peter Parker camera dilema (once more)

An off list person want a set of my secret ID boxes. You know the ones:

Preserving Mego history today, making Mego history tomorrow.

When I show him this and some pictures of the boxes, he likes them okay but insists that Peter Parker should have a camera in his photo.

I know the Parker Camera thing has come up before and there is no mention of a camera in the Mego Museum entries but what is the consensus of why some Parkers turn up with cameras?

Are they the same cameras? Is it possible that a few Secret ID packs did have cameras packed in them or is that all disproved?

mego73@hotmail.com
  • Meule
    Verbose Member
    • Nov 14, 2004

I thought they were Barbie cameras
    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Merlyn1976
      Fist of Khonshu
      • Mar 29, 2005

Originally posted by Meule
      I thought they were Barbie cameras
      I've seen MIP camera's packaged as Barbie Knock-off's...
      "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

In the Southeast Pacific, lies the sunken city of R'Leyh. There lies C'thulhu waits to return to our world with the other Great Old Ones. A hideous creature of enormous size and alien power, it waits for it's time to return patiently. For it has all the time in the world while it waits for the stars.

Comment

• jemboy2004
        Persistent Member
        • Aug 14, 2005

the only thing about those cameras is that the co. who made them would sell them to more than one co. so it's possible that they sold them to the barbie knock off co's and to mego too.

The one I had long ago didn't have a camera. Could some have come with them? Maybe.

Comment

• ABMAC
          User
          • May 16, 2002

Mego's Peter Parker did not come with a camera. Some turn up with cameras because collectors hunt these cameras down and put them with their figures.

Comment

• Dave Mc
            Administrator
            • Oct 20, 2002

There is no camera. The Barbie camera looks cool, but there are no boxed or packaged examples of the PP AE with camera. (yeah, I know it's already been said, just backing it up incase the guy keeps insisting.)

Comment

• Megospidey
              Museum Webslinger
              • Jul 26, 2006

I know this.

I held onto a camera for a LONG time to go with my Peter Parker once I bought him. When Charlie (MegoGeek) bought his not long ago, I sent him my camera because I wanted him to have it, and I also thought that it would be another LONG time before I found my Parker.

Well, it turned out to not be so long a wait. While I was waiting for the Parker to arrive, I decided to cruise eBay and see if I could find another camera. I did....in 5 different Barbie and Skipper auctions from the 1970's.

I think older brothers (or younger) raided their sister's Barbie/Skipper accessories and put the Barbie/Skipper camera with their Parker because he should have a camera - after all, he is a photographer! That's how they started showing up with cameras. It's just my theory.

Of course, I believe that a single gunman acted alone in the JFK assassination and that Elvis is really alive....so what do I know??

Comment

• Marvelmania
                A Ray of Sunshine
                • Jun 17, 2001

It's a cool item to put with a PP or to customize with but it's not mego or part of the AE PP.

Comment

• joshvox
                  Clown Prince of Crime
                  • Mar 21, 2006

I'm not knowledgeable about this, but I remember bringing up the same question when I bought mine, and I didn't get one, "oh yeah it did come with a camera" response.

BTW, I've never seen those boxes before, they are SWEET!!

Comment

• boywondermax
                    Gothamite
                    • May 16, 2007

I thought Montgomery Ward's issued a version w/ a camera- no?

Comment

• Hulk
                      Mayor of Megoville
                      • May 10, 2003

Montgomery Ward issued ALL of the Secret Identity figures, and it was documented BUT NEVER PROVEN that the figure came with this camera. Although this is likely to be debated until the end of time, most people have come to the conclusion that this was erroneous information. Until someone produces one with the camera, in a sealed bag, this is widely considered a false Mego Urban Legend at this point. Even then there will likely be people who will never buy into it, since it was NOT present with others.

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

I think I've seen 3-4 bagged sets in my time, no camera.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Grendel
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • Apr 21, 2006

Know who DID come with a camera?

Elastic Hulk.

Comment

• MegoNinja
                            Career Member
                            • Feb 7, 2007

Originally posted by Grendel
                            Elastic Hulk.
                            LOL!

is it possible that prototype Peter Parker's came with a camera? Maybe this got the legend going?
                            I the Monster Hero

Comment

• ABMAC
                              User
                              • May 16, 2002

Originally posted by MegoNinja
                              LOL!

is it possible that prototype Peter Parker's came with a camera? Maybe this got the legend going?
                              The "prototype" Peter Parker shown in Montgomery Ward's catalog held a walkie talkie and wore a regular AJ signal spy outfit, which is fitting since Peter Parker's outfit is made from the same pattern.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎