• Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

NECA has the Universal Monster license.

Well, this could be the big one...

142116068_991472118051271_2002485785679258_o.jpg

Last edited by enyawd72; Jan 29, '21, 9:33 PM.
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

Fans of the Universal Monsters will be feasting with delight this year. Exciting news.

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

Yep...and just like that, the Sideshow 8" monsters are now obsolete.

As much as I liked the Sideshow sculpts, they were terrible toys. Barely poseable statues with poorly designed articulation that was basically worthless. And the last series was even worse. The legs didn't even move on those.

And NECA will be producing Hammer action figures as well? I'm swooning over here...

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by enyawd72
        Yep...and just like that, the Sideshow 8" monsters are now obsolete.

As much as I liked the Sideshow sculpts, they were terrible toys. Barely poseable statues with poorly designed articulation that was basically worthless. And the last series was even worse. The legs didn't even move on those.

And NECA will be producing Hammer action figures as well? I'm swooning over here...
        Agreed. The process these days has gotten so much better and the demand is so much higher for strong likeness, that old line will not compete. I did have one thought though. Could we conceivably see another dive into the 12 inch cloth figures like Sideshow did with actor likeness? That would be amazing if it comes to pass. I doubt NECA would do that, but if demand is there, it would be nice to see another pass on that treatment.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

^Isn't Trick or Treat Studios doing a 12" line of Universal Monsters, using the same sculpts from their busts?

NECA doing Universal is just too good to be true. So many great Universal Monster (and Hamer!) options coming.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
            ^Isn't Trick or Treat Studios doing a 12" line of Universal Monsters, using the same sculpts from their busts?

NECA doing Universal is just too good to be true. So many great Universal Monster (and Hamer!) options coming.

Chris
            Wow! That would be incredible Chris. I know they're doing the masks, buttons, and so forth at the moment (some of which are brilliant at their price point). But I would LOVE to see them take a stab at the 12 inch cloth figures. I know they're entering that arena with the Michael Myers figures from each film. I'm actually collecting those at the moment because I love the poster art on the boxes and the relatively faithful sculpts to those individual movies. Not Hot Toys by any stretch but quite good for the price point. This is fun news. Thanks for the heads up Chris. But to have Mego doing the eight inch retro cloth and Neca doing the six inch scale is by itself a dream come true. Time to assess the collection and see what needs to move out. These will be keepers.

Comment

• favoritemonsters
              • Aug 4, 2018

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
              TorT just showed a 12" Frankenstein monster statue due out but it doesn't have the ornament/bust sculpt and
              kinda seems to cancel out the 12" action figure announcement or unless they're gonna do both (?)

Comment

• powersthatbe
                Persistent Member
                • Sep 27, 2010

Great news. Plus Neca products are pretty easy to find at Targets so a big win

Comment

• Type3Toys
                  Home Of The Type3 Body
                  • Jan 18, 2005

Can't argue that the sculpting isn't perfect, but everything I have seen so far here and on UMA points to Sideshow like hard statues and not clothed action figures.
                  But it's fantastic to see monster stuff taking center stage in multiple formats by multiple toys companies.
                  Can't help but think this may largely be due to Mego and other companies watching the success Mego is enjoying with it's monster figure line.
                  LOOK
                  Action Figure Design & Prototypes
                  For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
                  To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Comment

• darkmonkeygod
                    Career Member
                    • Sep 5, 2005

Originally posted by Type3Toys
                    Can't help but think this may largely be due to Mego and other companies watching the success Mego is enjoying with its monster figure line.
                    Nah, the powers that be at NECA mentioned in interviews several years ago their plan to release UM after Diamonds "Select" line had sold through, and ToTS stated they had the 12 inch articulated license a couple of years ago. If anything its Super7 succeeding with 3.75 5PoA at $18 per and being willing to do ultimates has likely pushed NECA into being sure not to give up ground. Mego came to UM late, but have been able to qucikly get them to market (please, no comments about issues with distro), if anything it's NECA's short sightedness at not recognizing Mego as a contender that left the retro-cloth line on the table. All IMO, of course.

Comment

• favoritemonsters
                      • Aug 4, 2018

Originally posted by Type3Toys
                      Can't help but think this may largely be due to Mego and other companies watching the success Mego is enjoying with it's monster figure line.
                      Would seem to me that this current plethora of UM merch is due to Universal lowering it's licensing cost especially with more than several companies jumping on the bandwagon to manufacture toys and such.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                        Permanent Member
                        • May 15, 2009

More has been revealed, looks great. But I'd like to see a color version, or this B&W version, in color photos. Which I'm not sure we've actually seen. Figure is B&W but the photos also look to have been tinted to B&W.

I dig the multiple heads!

Can't really give Mego credit for reviving UM, DST just did an incredible line of them a couple years ago. Far more vast and expansive than Mego.

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jun 22, 2011

NECA just teased the Mummy too. Very exciting times for UM collectors. Just hope they can get Lugosi's likeness for Drac.

Comment

• Ivaniski
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jun 24, 2007

I wish they could make the "Bride of Frankenstein"...and that she could look like this...u-g-Q10TWMZ0.jpg
                            Last edited by Ivaniski; Feb 19, '21, 3:27 PM.

Comment

• Ivaniski
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jun 24, 2007

Sorry double post
                              Last edited by Ivaniski; Feb 19, '21, 3:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎