• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlackKnight
    The DarkSide Customizer
    • Apr 16, 2005

Ledger's Joker.

Hey Guys,

So,.. I took the Boy to go see Indiana Jones YesterDay. Well they had about a 5 Minute Preview for the New Batman Flick. Now,.. While I enjoyed Batman Begins,.. & Liked the "Darker" Feel to the Batman Movie ingeneral,.. Does anyone else think that Perhaps the "Darker" Look will hurt the Movie ?

I only say this,.. Because I feel the Movie Crossed the Plain with Kids. Now,.. I perhaps Let My son watch alittle more than perhaps he should at some points,.. But this New version Of the Joker by Ledgers Potrail,.. Just Freaks Him the F out. He's a real Big Comicbook Geek Like Myself,.. but because the Joker Is so very dark, he has no interest in seeing the Movie,.. because of the "Scared" Factor. Inwhich,.. Being PG-13 Perhaps He shouldn't..., However all the Toys on the Shelf for the Film say, anywhere from 4to6 + . My Boy is 8&1/2... But if truth be told,.. He has always Had an Issue with the Joker,.. from the Cartoon... However Until this new Film,.. I thought He got over it. I just think the Direction of the character has gotten so Sicotic,.. & Demented over the Yrs,.. & perhaps The "Clown factor" doesn't way in to well with him. I know My little Sis was afraid of Clowns for along time...

I dunno,.. I guess My thought Lyes in,.. What Kinda Marketing Stratigey Does one gain By making all these toys that center around a very Dark Movie,.. Inwhich the Toys are more so targeted at Kids,.. when Half of them might be alittle to "Scared" or not of Age to See the Film ? You guys think it will hurt someone in the pocketbook somewhere's ?

... Don't get me Wrong, I think as far as Adults go,.. it will be a great Ride... I just wonder if All the Sales will be there for the Kiddies out there,.. that they need.
    ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .
  • toys2cool
    Ultimate Mego Warrior
    • Nov 27, 2006

I actually think Kids like the Darker feel,I mean not the real young ones but from like 11 or 12+
    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Overkill
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 19, 2007

Originally posted by toys2cool
      I actually think Kids like the Darker feel,I mean not the real young ones but from like 11 or 12+
      Yeah I agree with this too. When the kids start aging from 11 and up, they start to become interested in the darker sides of movies. Most likely because it's a 'cool' factor they weren't allowed to explore when they were younger. I think a darker aspect to Batman will help the movie out in sales terms because kids today really are looking for darker aspects of life as opposed to childhood fun. But as for your 8 year old son, I could definitely see how this creepy and darker movie could ruin his excitement of seeing these type of movies. But unfortunetly, the young crowd of children is just a tiny aspect in the whole population of moviegoers. And same thing for te action figures too. There's that adult collectors market that will always satisfy the need for money. I honestly think that action figures today are being less and less made for children, and more for the collectors. Especially with the limited articulation and small pieces. The play value is just a minimum as opposed to the display value.

Also, here's a tip you may want to try. I say, if the Joker creeps him out that much, refer him to the campy 60's comic books of Batman. (That is if your son enjoys reading comics). In those comics, the Joker is definitely not portrayed as a murderous psychopath. I remember in one comic, he kept spraying laughing gas around and while the citizens of Gotham city were laughing at his horrible jokes (Batman and Robin included) while the Joker robbed a few banks and drove off in his wacky Jokermobile. In the end he was caught though and put into jail with a slap on the wrist at being naughty with the law. Maybe this is the type of atmosphere your son needs to look at when referring to the Joker. And once he starts getting older, his view on the Joker could start getting older as well. But for now, he's young enough to not have to be scared by the creepy Joker when there's another wacky Joker he could get be introduced to.
      Last edited by Overkill; May 25, '08, 6:26 PM.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

Yeah, I wonder about promoting this movie on cereal boxes and fruit snacks.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
          Formerly known as Del
          • Dec 12, 2004

I think that the age range indicated on the toy packaging refers more to the dangers caused by small parts than the content of the movie/show/comic they promote.
          In addition, toy companies know that some parents will take their kid to see certain movies regardless of whether they are appropriate or not. I don't know if the child wants to see the movie because of the toys or vice versa. Plus, just because they don't see the movie might not stop them from wanting the figures. It's Batman, after all. Besides, plenty of adults, with and without kids, are buying toys like this for themselves. Toy stores seem to cater to multiple audiences, since some of them handle items that adults are more likely to buy, such as mature video games and high-end collector dolls. Because of the adult collector market, I really don't think their marketing strategy will hurt anyone's wallet, at least nowhere near as much as the crappiness of some of the Batman movie toys. Interestingly enough, I thought that "Dark Knight" was going for an R rating, so they could get away with more, specifically in regards to Ledger's portrayal of the Joker.
          PS. On a mostly unrelated note, I got in trouble when I was younger for letting my two cousins watch "Batman: The Animated Series" while I was babysitting them. They had nightmares because they were afraid of the Scarecrow. I was like, "That's the whole point of the character! He's scary!"
          Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
          https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
          http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I've had these concerns every since I saw the first pic of Ledger in makeup. My son is 6 1/2, and is a HUGE Batman fan, but I'm not sure I can take him to see this. We took him to see Begins at the drive-in, figuring all the distractions and open space would diffuse some of the scary factor, and covered his eyes during the "scary" parts. He's since watched the movie on DVD and none of it scares him now.

He used to get freaked out by Nicholson's Joker, so we avoided that one for quite a while. He watched it a few weeks back and no problems.

I've shown him pics of Ledger and he's seen the TV spots. He says it doesn't scare him and he wants to see it but...

Either way, I'm going first without him and the gauging if it's too dark.

I do have some issues with the marketing of this movie. Cheerios has little cute super-deformed "stunt figues" of Bale and Ledger and I saw the typical small kid pajamas at Wal-Mart with the Dark Knight branding. As a Batman collector I love to see this stuff, but as a parent I'm a little put off by them marketing such dark material to kids who probably can't or shouldn't see the movie in most cases.

But man, this movie looks good to me as an adult Bat-nut.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
              Formerly known as Del
              • Dec 12, 2004

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
              Either way, I'm going first without him and the gauging if it's too dark.
              Chris
              Which is exactly what you should do
              Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
              https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
              http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• The Toyroom
                The Packaging King
                • Dec 31, 2004

I'll go see it with my two daughters (9 and 13)...but it all depends on your kid and what they can handle.
                Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• BlackKnight
                  The DarkSide Customizer
                  • Apr 16, 2005

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                  I'll go see it with my two daughters (9 and 13)...but it all depends on your kid and what they can handle.
                  MayBe It's Just the Idea of the Joker... I dunno if I should disclose What he Does like to to watch,... But He's real into VanHelsing,... Underworld,.. & some of the Resident Evil Flicks, Aliens VS Preadator, as well as Treats Blade like a Grain of salt,.. so to speak.. as far as a "Scare" Factor goes, with Kids his age.... Just to name a few...He can watch those Movies,.. & ask for them as well as the " Tuff Guys,.. Who Like Tuff Movies" Catagorys...

... Thats why I think this whole Idea Seems Werid,.. & Perhaps the Jokers "Look" & Portrail Seems abit too Dark. But I dunno,.. maybe I just see to much into the idea that this is Pretty much the Late Actors Betrail of a Character as well.

With that Being said,... I have no Idea, Why the Joker freaks Him out so bad.
                  Last edited by BlackKnight; May 25, '08, 7:08 PM.
                  ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• The Bat
                    Batman Fanatic
                    • Jul 14, 2002

Well...I keep hearing the words of Joel Schuel-Smucker..."when I took over the Batman Franchise, Parents kept telling Me They wanted a Batman Movie they could take Thier Kids to". And so did WB....so they gave Us Batman:Forever...and Batman & Robin!

Then finally....Chris Nolan & David Goyer came along, and gave Us the BEST(and Only)faithful adaption of Batman!! God bless Them!! Do any of Us really want a "Kid Friendly"...Toy marketable Batman Movie?????????

HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
                    Last edited by The Bat; May 26, '08, 4:26 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Wee67
                      Museum Correspondent
                      • Apr 2, 2002

And that's really what it comes down to- make a kid-friendly Batman and you lose some of the darker edge the character has embraced over the past couple decades. Make an edgy, more complicated Batman and you have trouble selling lunch boxes.

As an adult, I have to say its what hurt the Burton film (IMHO). The Frank Miller book was a intriguing story, but definitely more of an adult tale. The only real balance I've seen recently was the Batman: The Animated Series. Not too dark that it would disturb kids, but well-written to the level that adults can enjoy it.

Its an interesting conundrum for parents.
                      Last edited by Wee67; May 26, '08, 8:42 AM.
                      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

It's weird, my son has asked me to see it and I've flat out told him no, he can't handle it. We've already enjoyed Iron Man and will most likely see Hulk this summer, so he'll live.

My objection isn't really that they're making an adult orientated Batman, seeing as I'm amped for July, it's just that it's yet another miss in terms of capturing the comic. I loved "Begins" because I felt it balanced both the comic and making an entertaining movie very well but this Joker is a huge departure and I remain somewhat skeptical.

The animated series remains my favourite Batman adaptation of all time.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• jds1911a1
                          Alan Scott is the best GL
                          • Aug 8, 2007

it is just me or does Heath Ledger as the joker remind you of Brandon Lee's Crow look - creepy

Comment

• The Bat
                            Batman Fanatic
                            • Jul 14, 2002

Well...I trust Chris Nolan, and am happy with His realistic approach. I like the scary, psychotic Killer Joker...that's how He should be. The fact Batman allows the Joker to live...despite the number of People He's killed over the years...torments Him to no end. It's Batman's main dilemma with Joker...but Batman refuse's to kill.
                            Last edited by The Bat; May 28, '08, 10:12 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                              OH JES!!
                              • Jul 21, 2005

I think the problem is with the fact that the Joker was, is a Flat out Violent Sociopath who murders. That's the way the character was created and was for years. Until the 50's when he became a harmless cackling criminal the character virtually disappeared in the comics in the 60's. Until Dennis O'Neil and Neal Adams brought the character back to it's roots.

Many non comic book fans have either Cesar Romero's or Jack Nicholsons version to draw from and that's what they draw from not any comic book version.....and as always because T-shirts and lunch boxes and toys are marketed to kids leaving the original concept of the characters to get watered down.

Batman is a Detective who solves the darker and most gruesome crimes and criminals that the Gotham Police department cannot handle.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎