X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Red Tornado or The Vision?

Which red-skinned android do you prefer? The JLA's Red Tornado or The Avengers' The Vision? As a kid in the 70s (Man that sounds sooooo old!), the Vision is who always popped out at me on the corner box of the Avengers comic...I associated him with the Avengers so much I thought he was "Mr. Avenger" . Visually I though he had a great costume. But I could never grasp how a hot mutant witch chick like the Scarlet Witch could fall in love with...a ROBOT!

The Red Tornado in the 70s always made me think he was the cleanest super-hero because: a) his secret identity of "John Smith" (how original) looked like Mr. Clean on shore leave and b) I think his moniker "The Red Tornado" reminded me of Ajax's "White Tornado"! His costume was a little more garish than the Vision's but it got better when he lost some of the striping on the legs in favor of just one stripe down the side. And visually, he definitely had the cooler super-power (as opposed to the Vision's intangability). He too had a "relationship" with a human (Kathy Sutton) but it wasn't as obvious as the Viz and the Witch, so it didn't bother me as much...almost didn't even think about it.

Today, I'd have to go with Reddy...I think he's earned his spot as an icon (although admittedly a C-lister in a team of As and Bs) on the JLA. The Vision..not so much. He seems to be more overshadowed by his relationship with Wanda rather than his contributions as a super-hero. I'm glad the Red Tornado is back to being his old self instead of them focusing so much on the Earth elemental aspects as they did after the original Crisis. Perhaps the Vision will eventually get the boost back to glory as it were....
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!
  • BlackKnight
    The DarkSide Customizer
    • Apr 16, 2005

Red Tornado For Me.
    ... But Vision did Bang the Scarlet Witch,.. somehows.
    ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• kept back
      Persistent Member
      • Aug 2, 2002

I really tend to think of Vision as one of Marvel's top guys and Tornado as a c-lister for DC. Anytime I picked up an Avengers comic as a kid, there was the Vision staring at me out of that corner. I mean, you had Cap , Thor, Iron Man, all on the same team and this was the guy that got that corner box. He had to be a bad ***.

Plus, I have always had a serious thing for the Scarlet Witch. My wife is even auburn haired and blue eyed(still can't get her in the hot pink bodysuit and red leather corset though.)

Gotta go with the Vision. Although you make a great case for Mr. John Smith.
      Of all the souls I have encountered his was the most...human.

Comment

• 4NDR01D
        Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
        • Jan 22, 2008

I'm down with the Viz as well, never really read dc as a kid because I hated superman so much he tarnished the entire comics line in my little kid eyes.

Comment

• Evel KMego
          Museum Daredevil
          • Apr 26, 2006

Goota go with the Vision, honestly, I don't care for too many DC characters other than the A-listers.

Comment

• toys2cool
            Ultimate Mego Warrior
            • Nov 27, 2006

gotta go with vision here as well
            "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
            My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• spiderrogue
              new mego-er
              • Feb 3, 2008

ive never really liked the vision..so i would go with red tornado(not that i know squat about him....)...but he seems cooler...

Comment

• bobbait
                What, me worry?
                • Jun 9, 2005

sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

The Vision and the original Human Torch are still two different robots, right?
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Bionic Joe
                    Persistent Member
                    • Dec 10, 2006

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                    Ask John Bryne, Was he the one that opened up that can of worms

Comment

• jwyblejr
                      galactic yo-yo
                      • Apr 6, 2006

Back in the day I would've said Vision but Marvel has mucked around too much with him.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                        The Packaging King
                        • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                        Yeah I think it was during John Byrne's run on West Coast Avengers that he revealed that Viz and the G.A Torch were two separate 'droids. I'm not sure what has happened to the original Human Torch since then though. Byrne was also the one who back-pedalled that Frankie Raye (the Fantastic Four Torch's girlfriend) was in reality the daughter of Professor Horton, the creator of the original Torch. She got doused with some flame chemical or something and became "Nova" (not Richard Ryder!), Galactus' herald.
                        Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

^^ I read the WCA with the return of the Torch, one of Byrne's better ideas. Unfortunately he depowered him later on in his Namor book.
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

Put me down for Reddy, although I too admire the Viz's taste in women. Humina, humina.

Red Tornado made it into the Super Powers line and had a very nice figure with a cool action figure, so that helped legitimize him more to me.

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• Jmass
                              Museum Patron
                              • Jan 19, 2006

Reddy, with the original red and purple outfit from JLA #64 to #110. I like the newer costume, but fondly remember the old one!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎