Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Kryptonite: Un-sung HERO of MEGO Customizing!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darklord1967
    Persistent Member
    • Mar 27, 2008

Black Kryptonite: Un-sung HERO of MEGO Customizing!

Every once in a while in the world of MEGO customizing, we encounter someone who is a virtual un-sung HERO to the entire community.

I’m talking about people who work tirelessly to provide top-notch goods and services that make our work look so much better, and make our customizing jobs that much easier.

I’m talking about people who give of themselves with a sense of warmth, artistic inspiration, friendship, and most importantly the boundless fun that embodies the very spirit of MEGO toys. These are young men and women who selflessly provide their incredible talents so that the works of other artists can shine through and through in a community that is becoming increasingly sophisticated and critically discerning.

During my return to the MEGO customizing hobby I have had the pleasure of encountering just such a man. His humility is nearly as great as his talent, and he is far too much of a gentleman to sing his own praises, so I will take it upon myself to do it for him. Frankly, he deserves it more that my meager words can express.

Early this morning, the postman rang my doorbell with a package that I ordered from Mr.FRED GOODSPEED AKA “Black Kryptonite” here on the Mego Museum boards. Fred has a website where he offers modified body parts and head sculpts for custom MEGO figures, and I placed an order with him about three weeks ago. I purchased some customized “buffed” arms and legs that are intended for some custom MEGOs that I am hoping to un-veil over the next few months.

Now, I knew these parts would be hand molded and cast so I expected there to be the usual roughness and air-bubbles that is so common in the “garage” castings seen in our hobby. What I found inside the box when I opened it was a pleasant surprise to say the least.

Firstly, the parts had been carefully and lovingly wrapped, and secured in a plastic tray to avoid any rattling and possible damage during transit.

The tray was transparent so I could actually see the parts before un-wrapping them. Perhaps my eyes were deceiving me, but they looked… PERFECT. I’m talking about absolutely clean castings, beautiful uniform color, smooth… almost looking machine-made.

Well, I quickly decided to remove the parts from their tray and look at them up close, because surely they could NOT be that slick and perfect-looking when not being viewed through cellophane and clear tape.

Well once the parts were finally unwrapped and naked in my hands, I was able to see just how wrong I was. I realized to my great satisfaction that these parts were slick and perfect looking, displaying a level of pride and craftsmanship beyond anything I dared hope for.

It’s not often that the guys who help us with our custom figure creations get their proper accolades. I think that’s a shame. These guys should be told as often as possible how appreciated their talents and services really are, and what a tremendous asset they are to our little community.

Fred, here and now, I humbly and sincerely thank you on behalf of myself, my upcoming custom MEGO heroes (who are going to LOVE their new physiques), and the entire MEGO customizing community at large.

You sir, are a gentleman, and scholar, and a first-class artisan. If I could, I would have loved the opportunity to shake your most talented hand.

With great admiration and friendship,

Roberto DARKLORD Williams
    I... am an action figure customizer
  • livnxxxl
    Megoholic RocketScientist
    • Oct 23, 2007

Very well and nicely put. I for one am glad to see you share your enthusiasm and terrific experience with the rest of us Members here.
    Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• Merlyn1976
      Fist of Khonshu
      • Mar 29, 2005

Fred is good people...
      "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

In the Southeast Pacific, lies the sunken city of R'Leyh. There lies C'thulhu waits to return to our world with the other Great Old Ones. A hideous creature of enormous size and alien power, it waits for it's time to return patiently. For it has all the time in the world while it waits for the stars.

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
        Stuck in a laundry shoot.
        • Oct 8, 2007

I have received a couple of heads, and a buff body from Fred and you are correct. They were all in great condition, and obviously crafted with pride. I am in regular contact with Fred, and he rightly prides himself on his work thru his quality and timely shipping. I would encourage everyone to check out his stuff. I have been really happy with his work.

Black Kryptonite Customs - Custom Mego scale heads and parts.
        "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• Blackkryptonite
          Persistent Member
          • Jun 28, 2006

Well damn, words escape me at the moment fellas but I appreciate your overly generous praise very much! I always do my best to get things done the right way and to get orders out within a week or so of them being placed. I don't always feel like I meet those standards though but I'm glad there are people out there who dig what I do.

I was recently caught off guard with an unusual amount of orders which bogged me down for much longer than I anticipated but I believe I have it all under control now so hopefully I'll be back to shipping within the week again. I'm also working on a new fully blown online store but that won't be ready for about 6 months or so as it's hard to find time to build a website for yourself when you're busy building them for everyone else

As for quality, again sometimes I feel I fall short on that but I think I may set my own standards too darn high but I'll keep doing what I love and doing it to the best of my ability. I've been inspired by practically everyone here and over at Russ' board too and if it wasn't for them I probably wouldn't have gotten in to this great hobby.

On another note, I haven't posted anywhere for some time now but only because my employer sees fit to block a lot of sites now so I'm not able to post on breaks anymore like I used to. But I must say it looks like you all have been kicking out some of the best work ever so keep it up!

Thanks again for all the awesome praise Roberto, you're a gentleman and a scholar in my book

Comment

• plaztekman
            Career Member
            • Apr 27, 2008

You are the Mego-bomb without a doubt. I bought your Dr. Fate JLA head. It's beautiful. Can't bring myself to paint it.
            Check out my photoblog: http://megomuseum.com/community/blog...773-plaztekman

Comment

• spiderrogue
              new mego-er
              • Feb 3, 2008

Fred Is The Best!!

Comment

• Timothy2251
                Jerks beef with Ten Bears
                • Mar 15, 2008

Gotta share in the Fred love - I won one of his Black Manta kits on eBay and I couldn't believe how pristine the head, neck and backpack were. Smooth all over, easy to assemble - all i gotta do is slap some paint on it and onto my Mego it goes.

Soon after, I placed an order for a Grendel (!) head and Madman (!!) head, and have been watching the mails since (any day now! ;D). Thanks again, Fred, and keep the custom parts coming!
                "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• GaryPlaysWithDolls
                  Mighty Man/Monster Maker
                  • Aug 14, 2007

Oh yeah! I got a Dr. Fate, Black Manta and Red X head from him. They came SUPER fast in the mail, cost very little and were PERFECT. I'm slow getting my customs together, but these things are just amazing. Oh, and I bought the animated Flash head. Very cool. Bravo! I check his site CONSTANTLY to see if new stuff is for sale. In fact, I think I need a Black Manta backpack. Gotta go!

Mina is the world's first Paranormal Petsitter in the new middle-grade book series by Gary Buettner, MONSTER PETS, coming in FALL 2014 from EMBY KIDS. Spooky adventure that's perfect reading for kids 8-12
                  https://www.facebook.com/monsterpetsbooks?ref=hl

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

Yep, Fred is a good egg. Love his casts.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Timothy2251
                      Jerks beef with Ten Bears
                      • Mar 15, 2008

Sure enough - the heads of Grendel and Madman arrived today, and they're in PRISTINE condition! No air bubbles, scratches or nothing. Magnificent work, Fred! Thanks again!
                      "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                        Moderation Engineer
                        • Aug 14, 2003

I echo what everyone else has said. Fred's a nice guy and his stuff looks factory, if not better.

Comment

• QDOGG
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jan 13, 2007

Fred, Fred, Fred! His parts are always great and he is a nice guy to boot! He always has unique parts that makes it easier to make my strange customs

Comment

• Megospidey
                            Museum Webslinger
                            • Jul 26, 2006

For a cajun, he's okay! Seriously, his stuff is the best. My recent Captain America was built using his arms, legs, and feet. Awesome stuff.

Comment

• gman
                              Persistent Member
                              • Sep 4, 2002

I feel especially connected to Fred --- He gave me a kidney last year. Nah --- but he probably would. Because that's the kind of guy he is. He is my go to guy when I need to bounce ideas off someone and/or I need a cast or 2. He was a big help when a group of us made some custom Capt. Actions... His weapons were the best. He's a cajun? Well, he's still a great guy and he makes some great stuff!!!
                              Don't be sorry. How would you know? You've been watching MTV all your life.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎