• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheVintageToyKid
    Career Member
    • Jul 23, 2019

Sticky Clark head

Hello,
    I recently received a Clark Kent figure from FTC (it came in a factory bag). When I opened it, both his glasses and his head were extremely sticky. I washed them both in hot, soapy water but it didn't do much. I have heard of plastics going sticky when they start to break down, but this isn't that old. Any idea why this has happened or how to fix it? Thanks.
    "I thought they didn't allow no bathin' suits in here."
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

They have a non airconditioned warehouse in the most humid place death valley for plastics FLA
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Gramercyplace
      Museum Super Collector
      • Jan 23, 2012

I have some of their Iron man accessories (boots and gloves) that were fine when I received them, but over time became oily and sticky (gross). Soap & water didn’t do much, so I created a paste with Arm & Hammer baking soda mixed with water in a coffee cup. I saturated the little oily pieces with the goo and buried them in the coffee cup for a about a week. Afterward, I rinsed them and they’ve thus far remained normal. Not squeaky clean, but the sticky oiliness is gone. It’s a shame that so much effort has to go into making these insipid little accessories functional, but it is what it is. I was happy with the end result. I’ve also used a matte sealing spray called “ Mr Super Clear “ that creates a nice (dry) matte finish on these. I purchased it for painted boots that never seemed to dry, and it worked beautifully on those and the oily FTC parts. There’s something in that Japenese formula that is superior ( and probably deadlier, lol) than all the other finishing/sealing spray cans out there. I hope this helps.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

so the Iron Man stuff is soft rubbery plastic as opposed to milk bottle plastic?
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Gramercyplace
          Museum Super Collector
          • Jan 23, 2012

Not rubbery, but softer and slicker than their standard plastic parts.

Comment

• powersthatbe
            Persistent Member
            • Sep 27, 2010

can you use goo gone?

Comment

• dr_cyclops
              One eyed, wonder
              • Dec 17, 2009

This is one of those times, when you want to start off easy and work ever so slowly to find what works. Regular soap and water washing has never work for me on this problem (that I find on vinyl toys, both vintage and modern). I've had some success with rubbing alcohol. At full strength it will remove paint. I dilute the rubbing alcohol with water and use it with paper towels as a wipe. Try to not scrub on any paint apps. It some times takes a couple, to a few times. I would avoid trying acetone, lighter fluid and goo gone.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Goo gone is not too harsh, but it can sometimes remove paint. No acetone!

Most vintage paint seems tougher than modern. To echo others, I've used:

*70% isopropyl alcohol, or 70% & 90% mixed.
                *Degreasing dish soap
                *Toothpaste--paste, not gel

With the alcohol, I use cotton swabs and wash with dishsoap afterwards. The swab gets into the hairsculpt, for example.
                I use a small, soft old toothbrush with the dish soap and toothpaste, gently scrubbing.

I would agree with Cyclops that the alcohol works very well for removing vinyl exudate.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                  One eyed, wonder
                  • Dec 17, 2009

I've tried decreasing dish soap with no effect. Toothpaste sounds very interesting. I need to try this. Thank you PNGwynne!

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎