PDA

View Full Version : Jazwares acquires Hasbro Joe License

powersthatbe
Jan 5, '20, 8:03 AM
Jazwares,, makers of fort nite figures partners with Hasbro on GI Joe, they have worked before on Nerf

Nostalgiabuff
Jan 5, '20, 8:19 AM
any announcement on what they will be doing? I assume it is for RAH stuff

Werewolf
Jan 5, '20, 10:52 AM
Only thing I can find on this is an article at hisstank. I've often looked at their 4 inch Fortnite figures and wondered why Hasbro wasn't doing RAH figures like that. Jazwares does Fortnite figures in 4, 6 and 12 inch. If this is true, I assume they'll do the same for RAH.

thunderbolt
Jan 5, '20, 1:31 PM
blehh, would much rather see a return of the real GI Joe and not that poser shrimp

Werewolf
Jan 5, '20, 2:19 PM
I like the 12 inch GI JOE dolls too. I've also long thought reissues of the Super Joe dolls would be fun. But the market and kid's tastes have changed too much for them to be mass market lines. Outside of limited collector issues I can't see Joes coming back as clothed dolls. My opinion is, if we get 12 inch Joes aimed at mass market/kids they will be in the solid plastic style which is really popular right now.

enyawd72
Jan 5, '20, 4:01 PM
Problem with the vintage Joes is they had no one to fight. He was a true doll...all dressed up with nothing to do.
The invention of Cobra and Joe characters was the best thing to ever happen to the brand.

A soldier needs a purpose.

SpaceCrawler
Jan 5, '20, 4:46 PM
Problem with the vintage Joes is they had no one to fight. He was a true doll...all dressed up with nothing to do.
The invention of Cobra and Joe characters was the best thing to ever happen to the brand.

That's where imagination came in. Other Joes were the bad guys. Other toys. The pet cat. We didn't need a comic book or TV show to tell us how to play. :)

Sean

CrimsonGhost
Jan 5, '20, 4:54 PM
I concur that GI Joe needed an adversary. By the time I was old enough to have them, they had moved on to the Adventure Team, so there was the diminutive Intruder! Frankly, he worked better teamed up with Zorak against Dr. Steel and Torpedo Fist, but I digress...

I’m curious to see what Jazwares comes up with. I’m a sucker for Snake Eyes and Sgt. Slaughter.

Werewolf
Jan 5, '20, 4:58 PM
We didn't need a comic book or TV show to tell us how to play. :)

You did have story books with records which served the same purpose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjYs7TMFjxY

thunderbolt
Jan 5, '20, 5:21 PM

well there were Japanese and German soldiers, then sharks octopi, tigers gators etc.

palitoy
Jan 5, '20, 5:32 PM
i think it's a testment to the brand itself that GI Joe means different things to people depending on age. I'm sure there are people who swear by Super Joe or (gasp) Sgt. Savage as their favourite brand. Nobody is wrong for their preference.

Werewolf
Jan 5, '20, 5:35 PM
well there were Japanese and German soldiers, then sharks octopi, tigers gators etc.

Which isn't really feasible anymore in a mass market line aimed at children. Having Germans and Japanese as villains and hunting endangered species just isn't going to fly today. In the last AT attempt, 20 years ago, GI Joe went to trying to save the tigers and pygmy gorillas instead of hunting them. So you'd still need villains.

palitoy
Jan 5, '20, 5:41 PM
I disagree on the villain thing, my TRU has a robust section of figures that interact with sharks and dinosaurs, etc. You could ostensively create a new iteration of Joe for kids today that has a non-villain theme but focusing on adventure and technology.

RAH itself wasn't a rehash of previous ideas but something that felt timely and it was highly successful, starting from scratch could be a really interesting thing.

Werewolf
Jan 5, '20, 5:53 PM
There's a RAH Snake Eyes movie coming out this fall. I'm not against a line of AT Joes Hunting Sharks and Dinosaurs, but I really don't see it happening.

I like RAH the best but there really isn't a version of GI Joe I dislike (except for extreme). Sadly, I don't see 12 inch clothed GI Joe dolls coming back as a retail line aimed at kids. Culture has changed too much. Boys don't dress dolls anymore. I think it would be a really hard sell today. Kind of why Captain Action doesn't work anymore. Why buy a doll and then an outfit to dress him like Batman when you can just buy a Batman.

thunderbolt
Jan 5, '20, 5:58 PM
Which isn't really feasible anymore in a mass market line aimed at children. Having Germans and Japanese as villains and hunting endangered species just isn't going to fly today. In the last AT attempt, 20 years ago, GI Joe went to trying to save the tigers and pygmy gorillas instead of hunting them. So you'd still need villains.

all they did was catch the gorilla or Tiger ,sure the diver had a spear gun for the shark. RAH is just not what I grew up on, I was already nearing High School at that point, still read comics and had my old Joes but the new tiny guys didn't do it for me. Too Star Wars looking of a line with all the characters and vehicles. I am sure that is exactly what they were aiming for too.

powersthatbe
Jan 5, '20, 6:01 PM
Oh I hated the venom vs valor figures. They were horrible.but the vehicles were still good.

Werewolf
Jan 5, '20, 6:02 PM
RAH is just not what I grew up on,

I totally get that. The original 12 inch Gi Joes and AT Joes were fantastic toys and I've said many times I think the Super Joes are wicked cool.

thunderbolt
Jan 5, '20, 6:05 PM
I totally get that. The original 12 inch Gi Joes and AT Joes were fantastic toys and I've said many times I think the Super Joes are wicked cool.

I liked the SuperJoe stuff but never went for it. The shrinking of the Joe figures put me off.

thunderbolt
Jan 5, '20, 6:16 PM
Toy Story covered it pretty well with Combat Carl
http://basementrejects.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/toy-story-of-terror-combat-carl-one-third-scale-gi-joe-review.jpg

Werewolf
Jan 5, '20, 6:21 PM
It amazes me we never got movie accurate Combat Carl Toy Story toys.

thunderbolt
Jan 5, '20, 6:43 PM
It amazes me we never got movie accurate Combat Carl Toy Story toys.

Hoping it happens, would love to see it go fully GI Joe rip off packaging for Carl and Jr.

powersthatbe
Jan 5, '20, 9:26 PM
I'm thinking maybe Jazwares will do classic RAH characters 4 inch and those 12 iinch/non cloth types they do and Hasbro will do a revamped/modern GI Joe line and 6 inch RAH figures..

jwyblejr
Jan 5, '20, 10:30 PM

You think that's bad,imagine if they tried to do the Action Man stuff with Native Americans. Hoo boy. Although,Action Man did get Captain Zargon to fight later on in the line. I wonder if something like that would do well over here?

enyawd72
Jan 7, '20, 3:37 AM
i think it's a testment to the brand itself that GI Joe means different things to people depending on age. I'm sure there are people who swear by Super Joe or (gasp) Sgt. Savage as their favourite brand. Nobody is wrong for their preference.

LOL....funny you mention Sgt. Savage.
That actually IS my favorite version. I like the WW2 era Captain America / Sgt. Rock influence, and small size of the line itself. RAH is just so overwhelmingly huge. with Sgt. Savage you really can collect them all.
The P-40 Warhawk is also the coolest Joe vehicle ever IMO.

Werewolf
Jan 7, '20, 2:06 PM
Ignoring the cartoony style this new phone game probably gives you a good idea of what the evergreen RAH designs could look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9l4F3eIAms

Klosterheim
Jan 10, '20, 10:30 PM
Remco figures made great adversaries for RAH.

powersthatbe
Jan 19, '20, 6:36 PM
Yeah I always liked the Remco Sgt. Rock figures, and I had a cool play set with it.

SpaceCrawler
Jan 28, '20, 8:03 AM
You did have story books with records which served the same purpose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjYs7TMFjxY

Yes, and I was a Joe fanatic (as were my friends) and none of us ever read the accompanying comics or listened to the records. We didn't need to. But still those were just the backstory of the playset (Mummy's Tomb, or whatever it may be). The cartoons of the mini-Joes far exceeded that. Now you walk into a toy store, or you did when Toys R Us still existed, and all you see are toys from movies (or TV). There's virtually no toys, outside of maybe some girl's dolls, that aren't created just to promote a film franchise. In doing so I think we're doing kids a disservice- we're stealing away a prime opportunity to develop their imaginations at a critical stage in their lives.

Sean