X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Comic Book Geek
    Stays Crunchy in Milk
    • Aug 2, 2004

Enjoying the Illuminate

This book has been great. The Illuminate are a group of "elitist" heroes – Reed Richards, Iron man, Dr Strange, Namor, Xavier (Am I missing someone?) They’ve been a secret society that have met throughout Marvel history to tackle issues and head off problems, and basically screw up everything they touch to some degree. It’s great read and Namor is the best part of the book for me. He shoots it straight. Anyone reading this? The first 2 or 3 issues are collected in one large issue and I think it’s a 5 or 6 issue series.
    Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

I enjoy it as well. The other member is Black Bolt BTW. Did you read the one-shot from a while back?
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
      Stays Crunchy in Milk
      • Aug 2, 2004

Yeah, Black Bolt.

If you mean the one shot on the formation of the group, yes I read that. I'd missed this until the 3rd issue, but picked up the big reprint issue.

So what other events will they mess with? I'm curious if the final issue deals with the Civil War and maybe even sending Hulk away.

Comment

• samurainoir
        Eloquent Member
        • Dec 26, 2006

I'm enjoying the series as a whole. Particularly as a group with an uneasy allaince with each other and a degree of suspician between it's members.

The Kree/Skrull War stuff was good, and I liked the implication that the others felt that Reed and Tony were profiteering from the captured Skrull vessel. These moral gray areas are always interesting areas to mine with character dynamics in a group as diverse and compelling as the Illuminati.

I'm not too sure about the latest issue which basically retconned The Beyonder into a mutant Inhuman. Hopefully this is something Bendis plans on following up on in the pages of The New Avengers and Mighty Avengers. As far as I can recall, the entire Beyonder/Cosmic Cube/Molecule Man thing is already a batch of messy retcons on top of retcons. Not that anyone is really crying over the removal of Secret Wars 2 from "official continuity", but in light of even Dwayne McDuffie recent Beyond mini, I'm hoping Bendis is doing this to build on it rather than just throw it out there and leave it as a clever thing he did.

There has been an Inhumans conflict building quietly in the background with the Son of M mini, The Silent War mini, and I'm hoping that all this is leading up to something. Let's hope it's something a bit different than some of the recent hero-on-hero conflicts we've just experienced now with Civil War and World War Hulk.
        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
          Stays Crunchy in Milk
          • Aug 2, 2004

I think World War Hulk could reunite the heroes that have split. if the Illuminate were ultimately responsible for the civil war which I'm suspecting will be the case, there could be conclusions made that their existance has only created trouble and not solutions.

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by Comic Book Geek
            I think World War Hulk could reunite the heroes that have split. if the Illuminate were ultimately responsible for the civil war which I'm suspecting will be the case, there could be conclusions made that their existance has only created trouble and not solutions.
            Somehow I don't think The New Avengers (Spiderman, Cage and co) would be too happy with Reed and Tony shooting The Hulk into space given how they fetl about the negative zone prison. Even if Doctor Strange is one of them (and I'm suspecting Stephen regrets his decision).

I think it's the "Mystery Threat" that has been working behind the scenes since the launch of The New Avengers (the Raft Breakout) is what will ultimately reunite them temporarily at best.

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
              Stays Crunchy in Milk
              • Aug 2, 2004

Originally posted by samurainoir
              Somehow I don't think The New Avengers (Spiderman, Cage and co) would be too happy with Reed and Tony shooting The Hulk into space given how they fetl about the negative zone prison. Even if Doctor Strange is one of them (and I'm suspecting Stephen regrets his decision).

I think it's the "Mystery Threat" that has been working behind the scenes since the launch of The New Avengers (the Raft Breakout) is what will ultimately reunite them temporarily at best.

Good points. And here's a thought, is Hulk's return going to out the illuminati and show them for the manipulaters that they are, turning everyone against them?

I hadn't been reading Planet Hulk for the last few months, but picked up the prelude issues to WWH. Not only was he banished, but the ship blew up his new kingdom including his Queen and unborn child... and he's coming back. Oh crap.

Comment

• samurainoir
                Eloquent Member
                • Dec 26, 2006

Good points. And here's a thought, is Hulk's return going to out the illuminati and show them for the manipulaters that they are, turning everyone against them?

I hadn't been reading Planet Hulk for the last few months, but picked up the prelude issues to WWH. Not only was he banished, but the ship blew up his new kingdom including his Queen and unborn child... and he's coming back. Oh crap.
                I haven't been following Planet Hulk or WWHulk too closely either (I tend to wait for the trades), but I think you are right, from the looks of things this early on, Hulk or his allies in the Superhero community (Amadaes Cho, She-Hulk, Hercules, Angel etc) at the very least are looking to expose The Illuminati "conspiracy".

I'm wondering if the Battle Lines will next be drawn with The Inhumans, Namor and Atlantis (given the events of Civil War), Hulk and Co, and even someone like Doom uniting against The Initiative. Heroes are only as good as the scale of the conflicts they are drawn into, and with the US assembling an army of Superheroes... what level of threat will emerge to challenge this group consisting of literally hundreds of United American "Peace Keepers"?

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

Planet Hulk writer discusses Hulk's odds against each member of the Illuminati.

For me the most compelling is Hulk's interaction with Doctor Strange, whom he has a great deal of history with in the pages of The Defenders.

Comment

• samurainoir
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Dec 26, 2006

Looks like The Hulk took out Black Bolt.

You were right! WWH has reunited the heroes who split. Is this a temporary truce or the beginning of reunification I wonder?

Dig the new Hulkbuster Iron Man Armour.

Looks like Hulk is trying to forge an alliance with Namor and Atlantis.

Last edited by samurainoir; Jun 10, '07, 7:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎