X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Gene Colan

Just read that Gene Colan, one of the true comic book masters, is ailing with liver failure. Sad news indeed. One of the last of the old guard and an all-time great.

Big fan of his on Daredevil but I also enjoyed his Tomb of Dracula, Dr. Strange, Iron Man, Night Force, Batman and Wonder Woman (!) over the years. Oh yeah...and Howard the Duck!

Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!
  • Bo8a_Fett
    Pat Troughton in disguise
    • Nov 21, 2007

A true great.....he's not been well for quite a while as I heard it....hope he pulls through.
    ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

wow sucks to hear that
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• kingdom warrior
        OH JES!!
        • Jul 21, 2005

Sorry to hear of Gene's ill Health. He's one of the Great's of the comic Biz. I loved his work especially Daredevil and Ironman.

Comment

• Bionic Joe
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 10, 2006

Sad news, He's a heck of a nice guy i meet him at a comic con around 85/86 i got him to autograph a copy of Detective comics oddly enough it the same issue you posted in this thread

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

Read tonds of his Drac and Duck books growing up. One of the good ones.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• raider5gt
              Museum Tree Cutter
              • Nov 25, 2007

Very sad news indeed,loved Iron Man and the Dracula comics he did.

Never stand behind a cow when it sneezes.

Comment

• The Bat
                Batman Fanatic
                • Jul 14, 2002

Ah...Gene Colan.....one of my MOST HATED Comic Book Artists of ALL time!! I think His stuff is absolutley terrible! He truely SUCKS! I just can't comprehend how some one with His complete lack of talent could get a Job drawing?????
                Last edited by The Bat; May 17, '08, 6:07 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
                  The Packaging King
                  • Dec 31, 2004

Are you freakin' kidding me? The atmosphere and moodiness he brought to such projects as Tomb of Dracula and Dr. Strange is phenomenal! But I guess they all can't be as good as glorified pin-up artist Jim Lee, right Dane?

Comment

• The Bat
                    Batman Fanatic
                    • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                    But I guess they all can't be as good as glorified pin-up artist Jim Lee, right Dane?

Right...well that didn't take long. I knew somebody would emediately insult Jim Lee(who has real talent)to get back at Me for daring to saying anything bad about Colan. I'm sorry Man...but Colan has ALWAYS been a Hack.
                    sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
                      The Packaging King
                      • Dec 31, 2004

I'm not saying Jim Lee isn't talented...the best of the Image bunch IMO...BUT let's face it, he IS pretty much a pin-up artist (that's what his Batman "Hush" run and his "All-Star Batman run are quite frankly).

You may not care for Gene Colan's art but I really can't see how you can call the guy a "hack". Makes me wonder what other old school artists you can't stand...

Comment

• The Bat
                        Batman Fanatic
                        • Jul 14, 2002

I guess You call Jim a "Pin-Up" Artist..because He draws Women extremely well(I can't hold that against Him)? While I'm not loving Allstar...Hush was EXCELLENT!

As far as other "old School" Artists...I love many of them. Neal Adams being the first to grab My attention as a Kid. And even as Child I thought Gene Colan sucked...so My Eye tends toward the more Realistic Style of say Neal Adams...than the abstract, Cartoonish Colan.

But Hey...I realize Art is a subjective thing. Personally...I've always HATED Picaso...but I'm a big Fan of Claude Monet. Van Gough is ok...but I find His Brush strokes a little heavy Handed.
                        sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
                          The Packaging King
                          • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by The Bat
                          I guess You call Jim a "Pin-Up" Artist..because He draws Women extremely well
                          No, not because of that...by "pin-up" I meant more "splash page" than the choice of subject matter...Splash pages are all well and good but not throughout the whole book

Comment

• The Bat
                            Batman Fanatic
                            • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                            No, not because of that...by "pin-up" I meant more "splash page" than the choice of subject matter...Splash pages are all well and good but not throughout the whole book

Yeah...but a comic Artist only follows the direction He is given by the Writer...so Who's fault is it? And, He does them EXTREMELY well!
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎