X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Tell me about RED DWARF

I remember as far back as the mid 80's or so, I started seeing Red Dwarf items for sale in Sci Fi collector catalogs ..... Mostly patches and stuff.

I still have never seen one episode yet...
    Just never got around to it yet.
    I know there's some on youtube.

Weird thing is, when I databased the show, it says it ran 1988 | 1989 | 1991 | 1992 | 1993 | 1997 | 1999 | unknown

What's up with that ?

Was it cancelled a few times ?

Anyway,
    Is the show any good ?
    It's a comedy, right ?
  • drwhofan74
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 19, 2005

It's just the way British TV shows are done. They do not run for continous seasons like in the US. They shoot each series (season), and it gets stuck into the schedule if they decide to pick it up later. The BBC only makes out their schedule two weeks ahead of time. (you wil see this their announcements when a new series (season) is supposed to begin, eg The most recent season of Dr. Who.)

They sometimes go for great periods of time between series. If you look at All Creatures Great and Small, for example, the main set in the vet clinic changes drastically from series one to series two. Oh dear GOD! I watch waaaaaaaay to much television.....

PS... Yes the show is great! Very funny for any Sci-Fi Fan.
    sigpic"Sorry for the noise. My pet cricket has restless leg syndrome."

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

This leads me to a question and an expansion on a question I asked a while ago.

So if the people of the UK pay a mandatory "TV tax" and this is the BBC's soul income to keep running, .... then they couldn't less if a show was a hit or not, right ?...

Comment

• ABMAC
        User
        • May 16, 2002

Besides being funny, Red Dwarf was one of the best science fiction shows I've ever seen, easily as scientifically accurate as Star Trek, and less antiseptic.

WAY less antiseptic.

Comment

• jwyblejr
          galactic yo-yo
          • Apr 6, 2006

Brilliant,brilliant show. They tried to make a version here in the States but it never got anywhere. Anyone know what ever became of the movie they were working on?

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Red Dwarf is brilliant, a great SF series and a wonderful comedy. Most Science Fiction comedies rely on a lot of cheese sci fi humour but RD was more about character, very clever and fun.

Later seasons weren't as great but still fun.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• ctc
              Fear the monkeybat!
              • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Red Dwarf is fantastic! I never read the book; but I've seen most of the show. Funny stuff. Although I'd recommend seeing it from the beginning if you can. There's an actual story going on there (although it sneaks up on you) and if you don't see it in order a lot of stuff won't have as much impact.

Don C.

Comment

• Surfsup
                Silver Chrome Dome
                • Dec 2, 2005

I'd highly recommend it Mike, especially the 4th and 5th seasons. They were the best of the bunch IMO. I'm going to have to dig my dvds out for another viewing now.

Comment

• drwhofan74
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 19, 2005

Originally posted by type1kirk

So if the people of the UK pay a mandatory "TV tax" and this is the BBC's soul income to keep running, .... then they couldn't less if a show was a hit or not, right ?...
                  That I have no clue about. But, your logic is sound. Any Brits know anything more on this?
                  sigpic"Sorry for the noise. My pet cricket has restless leg syndrome."

Comment

• bonkers head
                    Museum Patron
                    • Mar 25, 2007

Originally posted by type1kirk

your so right they can churn out any rubbish they please, just every now and then a gem gets through like Red Dwarf, Life on Mars, Dr who ,Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy . But i`m not bitter....honest

Comment

• johnmiic
                      Adrift
                      • Sep 6, 2002

I have only seen a handfew of episodes and I think it's a funny show.

I think Red Dwarf is a sort of survivor of the changes in the BBC from the late 80's. DW got the axe but Red Dwarf kept going even if there are gaps in some of the years.

Mike it seems to me if people are paying for the TV shows they want to watch they should get a say in what shows stay on the air. The Beeb has different ideas it seems. I don't know any other service where you give up your hard earned cash and just take whatever is shoveled your way.

Comment

• YANOULI
                        Part-Time Timelord
                        • Jan 9, 2006

The main Problem with the TV licence fee is you still have to pay it even if you never watch a BBC TV channel or listen to a BBC radio station.

If you don't have one you get fined upto £1000 ( $2000 )
                        " But you can't kill me, i'm a Genius "

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

We have PBS (Public Broadcasting Station) here in the US.
                          It runs on 99.9999% donations, and .00001% of an allotted tax.

So lately, PBS has been showing this program ......
                          THE BRITISH INVASION

It has a ton of old 60's Brit groups performing their hits TODAY at the PBS studio.

GREAT SHOW....
                          I HIGHLY recommend it.

Anyway,
                          It's kind of funny seeing the Brits talk about their "TV TAX" and why PBS is so great in between their songs

Group that appeared......

Gerry and the Pacemakers
                          The Zombies
                          Eric Burden
                          Chad and Jeremy
                          Peter and Gordon
                          Lulu
                          Pet Clark
                          Denny Laine
                          and a ton more.

GREAT show !!!

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

The think Red Dwarf was at its best and funniest during the 3rd through 5th series where Holly was a woman.
                            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• YANOULI
                              Part-Time Timelord
                              • Jan 9, 2006

Mike, try these.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

" But you can't kill me, i'm a Genius "

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎