Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You know what's exciting? The possibility of an OFFICIAL Mego Meet exclusive!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • B-Lister
    Eccentric Weirdo
    • Mar 19, 2010

You know what's exciting? The possibility of an OFFICIAL Mego Meet exclusive!

Mego is back, and they're really banging it out.

To be sure, the heart and soul of Mego Meet is the customs, but wouldn't it be sweet if Mego started doing an OFFICIAL Meet exclusive every year?

I'm not sure something like that is possible, considering the numbers, but the thought came to me, and instantly excited me.
    Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures
  • Brue
    User without title
    • Sep 29, 2005

Hmm. I love the idea, but I also love member made exclusive custom.

Maybe an early release of an upcoming Mego Corp figure with and exclusive note on it?

I know the people who have made Meet exclusives over the years have put lots of time and effort into them. And they are a special part of teh Meet.

Originally posted by B-Lister
    Mego is back, and they're really banging it out.

To be sure, the heart and soul of Mego Meet is the customs, but wouldn't it be sweet if Mego started doing an OFFICIAL Meet exclusive every year?

I'm not sure something like that is possible, considering the numbers, but the thought came to me, and instantly excited me.

Comment

• SeattleEd
      SynthoRes Transmigrator
      • Oct 24, 2007

I agree with Brue. Love the member customs and the group effort from members. Makes it more special. Synergy at its finest.

Comment

• Brown Bear
        Still Old School
        • Feb 14, 2008

Cool idea but never a fan of figures that aren’t made available to certain ppl (ie: can’t make mego Meet for a year so can’t buy a figure).
        Early release is a cool idea I’d support.
        Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• B-Lister
          Eccentric Weirdo
          • Mar 19, 2010

Oh, I wouldn't want it to be at the expense of the customs, I was thinking in addition to.

I also am against something so limited non attendees couldn't get it, but I think with this group, that'd never be a problem. Everybody looks out for each other.
          Last edited by B-Lister; Jun 20, '19, 2:21 PM.
          Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

Exclusives are a guarantee for scalper's turning the Meet into a hit job, exploit every leniency offered and ruin the weekend.

Only way around that would be through the auction. It would look like the end of Trading Places and require a full auction team, but it would be a surefire way of making sure scalpers didn't plunder

Comment

• Bronxboykev
              Permanent Member
              • Mar 7, 2011

It could work in the way of a figure released early and offered to the people of Mego Meet before it hit retailers.

Comment

• B-Lister
                Eccentric Weirdo
                • Mar 19, 2010

I don't think scalpers would be as big a problem as many fear, but I guess my idea wasn't as fun as I had hoped. Oh well.

As for a prerelease, were is the uniqueness, and exclusivity? I'm not saying don't make it more widely available, but it should be special.
                Last edited by B-Lister; Jun 20, '19, 3:46 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by hedrap
                  Exclusives are a guarantee for scalper's turning the Meet into a hit job, exploit every leniency offered and ruin the weekend.
                  The Gi Joe Collector's Club offered (expensive) conventions sets for decades. Sure, there was some scalping on ebay during and after the convention, but the option of preordering a con set and setting quantity limits kept the item "fairly" available.

I'm not saying we should do all that, I like the informality of the meet. But, if a minimum Mego order is possible--500?--and we have attendance data, it seems that adding a registration level that includes a figure is possible without a bloodbath.

Let's suppose that a MM figure is $25.00. Is it reselling for $40-$50 the end of the world? We've tolerated that from big cons like SDCC for years.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Also, if the variation involves merely soft-goods, that's economical indeed.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Random Axe
                      The Voice of Reason
                      • Apr 16, 2008

We've got scalpers and scammers rubbing off numbers from the blisters trying to get more money for a low number, so yeah I see jeopardy in an exclusive as well. The extra costs of doing an exclusive figure would be pretty high as well, so maybe at the most I could see variant packaging. I just don't see any way scalpers and ebay don't ruin our fun. Plus, the collective efforts of the exclusive custom are magic.
                      I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• SeattleEd
                        SynthoRes Transmigrator
                        • Oct 24, 2007

^^Agreed 100% Why I hate sanctioned exclusives and the only way to get is from scalpers if one can't make the shows. I've relegated to that market since folks I know no longer go to shows with exclusives.

Comment

• B-Lister
                          Eccentric Weirdo
                          • Mar 19, 2010

Eh, it was just a thought. I'm certainly not gonna be upset if it never comes to pass, and the custom is king at Mego Meet. Always has been, always will be.

Comment

• Brue
                            User without title
                            • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by B-Lister
                            but I guess my idea wasn't as fun as I had hoped. Oh well.

don't get me wrong. i love the idea.

Comment

• Random Axe
                              The Voice of Reason
                              • Apr 16, 2008

it would be great to have our own official Mego. The logistics and pricing are critical. The only way I see this working would be a crowdfunded figure where collectors and Meet attendees have a vested interest in its success. I fear with a super small run it may end up 50 dollars or more, and that's even using existing tooling.

Good thought, though.
                              I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎