X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Comic Book Geek
    Stays Crunchy in Milk
    • Aug 2, 2004

Classic Avengers help needed.

I never really read Avengers much. My kid is Avengers crazy. We're going to Wizard World Chicago this summer and I wanted an Avengers run to try and snag. Any good bronze age story archs I should aim for? I'd like to start a collection for him based on something like a 2-3 year run that wouldn't break the bank. (I buy reader's copies) Any old school Avengers fans help me out here? Maybe a creative team's run, or a guess-timate on issue numbers would be great.
    Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

If you're looking for some good Bronze Age action with tons of guest stars and one of the best cosmic storylines, check out Avengers 168-178 (approx.)...the Korvac Saga. And there's quite a few good Perez and Byrne issues around this era too.
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
      Stays Crunchy in Milk
      • Aug 2, 2004

Thanks. I wasn't sure when the Byrne and Perez stuff happened. I can search a price guide and get those numbers.

Comment

• samurainoir
        Eloquent Member
        • Dec 26, 2006

The great thing is that there are so many trade paperbacks these days collecting the "Essential" Runs.

One of the more classic periods in recent years was the Kurt Busiek and George Perez Heroes Return era. I believe most of this run is collected as trades.

I'd recommend this hardcover.

Other Classic "Must Reads"...

The Avengers Kree Skrull War

John Byrne's run on The West Coast Avengers. Many threads of this era have been picked up and drive Brian Bendis' Avengers Disassembled/The New Avengers/House of M.

George Perez's original run from the seventies and early eighties encompassed many classic storylines. For many of us Mego-era kids, this was the definitive Avengers line-up which included The Beast, Wonder Man and Ms Marvel.
        George Perez Visionaries vol 1

One of my personal faves. The Wundagore Mountain saga with John Byrne art. This one involves the complicated backstory of The Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver before they realized they were the children of Magneto.
        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
          Stays Crunchy in Milk
          • Aug 2, 2004

Samurainor,

Hey thanks, that's tons of stuff to look for. The Kree Skrull War is a great place to start. I know I can easily pick up a trade on a lot of this stuff, but recently my son and I looked through about 6 bargain boxes and we had a blast doing it. After sorting through a bunch of junk he got about a dozen 90's Avengers issues and quite a few assorted 70's marvel stuff and was estatic. Hunting for them will be half the fun when we'll literally have thousands of boxes we can look through.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎