X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Comic Book Geek
    Stays Crunchy in Milk
    • Aug 2, 2004

Silly putty's not that silly

My daughter had some Silly Putty the other day, and it got me thinking... pretty boring stuff. Oh wait! You can press it to a news paper and pull off an image and then strech it!! ...funny but it doesn't work on new newspapers. Has the ink changed? ...pretty boring stuff.
    Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron
  • HardyGirl
    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
    • Apr 3, 2007

I used to get a new egg of Silly Putty every year! I played w/ it on newspaper so much that it always turned this nasty grey color. But I would bounce it, mold it, break it up in pieces and use it for doll's food, just had a ball w/ it. I don't think it's the ink that has changed, but the formula of the putty itself. Too bad too...I used to love making mutants outta the Sunday funnies!
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
      Stays Crunchy in Milk
      • Aug 2, 2004

Maybe it's a girl thing, because my daughter has played with the stuff quite a bit. She had it wrapped around her magic ball last night... she has a magic ball, a magic flute and a magik sword. Wierd kid, that's what I love about her.

Comment

• jwyblejr
        galactic yo-yo
        • Apr 6, 2006

When I was a kid,I would make head molds of my various figures with it. Maybe back then I had a customizer in me that was trying to get out or something.

Comment

• ctc
          Fear the monkeybat!
          • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Wasn't silly putty based on the original formula for plastique? "Say; this won't take down a bridge, but look what it CAN do!"

Don C.

Comment

• DocDrako
            Formerly Doc Drako
            • Nov 11, 2004

My wife bought some Silly Putty one time. I'd press it into my beard and check out the hair patterns it would make. It wasn't that fun, but it bounced really well. A word of caution though...never try to bounce it by throwing it as hard as you can against a wall. It hurts big time when it hits your cornea at a high rate of speed.

"I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST

Comment

• The Toyroom
              The Packaging King
              • Dec 31, 2004

The Silly Putty itself hasn't changed but the newsprint has...that's why it doesn't lift the images as well any more
              Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• joshvox
                Clown Prince of Crime
                • Mar 21, 2006

I actually love silly putty. I still have some sitting beside my chair in the living room. :

Comment

• megojim
                  Permanent Member
                  • Oct 13, 2001

I love the stuff . . . . i have some at my desk at work and at home.
                  I have also found another great use for it. I'm now building resin kits and silly putty was suggested to use as a masking agent. it works great! You can mold it around in tight corners and just about any shape. Then paint right over it and peel it off . . . .works like a charm!
                  -jim
                  My Custom Figures

1 Corinthians 9:24 - Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!

Comment

• bonkers head
                    Museum Patron
                    • Mar 25, 2007

Originally posted by Comic Book Geek
                    Maybe it's a girl thing, because my daughter has played with the stuff quite a bit. She had it wrapped around her magic ball last night... she has a magic ball, a magic flute and a magik sword. Wierd kid, that's what I love about her.
                    Where i grew up in the 70`s everyone had silly putty boys and girls ,but then everyone had someone in there family that worked at Crayola so we got it free ,still love the stuff. If you didn`t have anyone work at crayola they worked for Texas instruments so then it was calculators and digital watches . Happy days

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
                      Stays Crunchy in Milk
                      • Aug 2, 2004

The way I see it is the silliest thing about Silly Putty are the grown men and women that still love the stuff so much that they still play with it

Am I right? Well, I asked my magic 8 ball and Magic 8 ball said, "Definitely"

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
                        Formerly known as Del
                        • Dec 12, 2004

Years ago I had to go through some brief physical therapy. One of my favorite things the therapist always had was "Thera-putty." It was basically the same thing as Silly Putty, but they color-coded into different firmnesses. Years later, I ended up using Silly Putty when I worked with autistic children. So I always had a good excuse to carry around a bunch of the stuff
                        Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
                        https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
                        http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎