X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LadyZod
    Superman's Gal Pal
    • Jan 27, 2007

Micronauts in the oddest places

So, my husband went to a local thrift store yesterday... and comes back with a Time Traveler and a Space Glider. He paid a buck a piece, and they are in decent shape needing only a bit of soap and water.

Now why is this odd you may ask?
    I live in the retirement capital of the world by the looks of it. Our town council vetoes any Big Box store that wants to move in.

People don't move here until they are ready for a trailer park or nursing home. And by that time, they've already sold off any and all toys or comics elsewhere.

The thrift stores contain walkers, wheel chairs, LPs of polka music, and ugly ceramic old lady crap. This is truly like finding gold.

Anyone else find any micronauts in odd places?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
    Check out my art:
    Art Portfolio@Redbubble
    Art Portfolio@Tumblr
  • geotroid
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
    • Mar 23, 2006

Wow, no responses to this thread yet! Okay, I'll chime in.

The question "Anyone else find any micronauts in odd places?" may yield subjective and indeed, x-rated answers (Ha ha ha!) that greatly differ from your retirement community/thrift store discovery.

Considering that Mego killed Micro production & promotion around 1980 (I know, I know - many toy stores still had overproduced Micro stock throughout the 80's and into the early-mid 90's) finding any vintage Micros in either thrift stores or rummage/garage/yard sales in 2008 is pretty rare.

My wife enjoys exploring weekend rummage sales, and I was SHOCKED when she came home one fine Saturday afternoon in 2007 with two huge boxes of Micronauts parts for $2.00! Man, I couldn't believe it!

This may correlate with your experience: It's good to know there are still old folks out there who are still cleaning out their children's vintage toys ;-)

Here are a few more tales of good fortune. When I was a child, my older neighbor gave me his Micro collection when he started chasing girls. Around 1983, one of my buddies found the top half of a blue Acroyear 2 in a pile of sand down near his parents house, and he later scored a boxed Solarion at a rummage sale that very same summer. That was a shock to me because I had never HEARD of the Solarion (Or Taurion, Hyperion, etc) since Mego didn't spend money on new catalogue inserts that featured the last wave of toys.

About the same time he also knew of a crumpled-up yet still carded Pharoid figure wedged between & behind some store shelves at our local Ben Franklin store. When he finally fished it out (With great effort) the crusty old sales lady refused to sell it to him. It was clearly damaged, and she enforced the stores policy of not seling damaged goods! Oh, well.

-geotroid
    Chris Farley: "Mother of Mercy, I don't speak Japanese!!!"

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎