PDA

View Full Version : Registration is open for Mego Meet 15 - June 14th-15th, 2019 in scenic Columbus, Ohio

EMCE Hammer
Feb 7, '19, 11:26 PM
Registration is open for Mego Meet 15

Mego Meet 15 will be held June 14-15, 2019 in Columbus, Ohio at the Courtyard by Marriott Columbus West. As the title implies, this will be our fifteenth meet. The hotel is located just off the I-270 outer belt and is minutes away from dining, malls, etc.

Registration is open now - Meet admission is still only $25 and still includes family; tables remain an additional $40. Registration for tables this year differentiates between display and sales tables, so be sure to read the instructions carefully.

Feel free to post questions here. Brian will have the Facebook page updated soon.

http://www.megomuseum.com/megomeetmain/megomeetmain.shtml

Register for the meet here - http://www.megomuseum.com/megomeetmain/megomeetreg.shtml

Book your sleeping rooms here - https://www.marriott.com/event-reservations/reservation-link.mi?id=1544733043349&key=GRP&app=resvlink

EMCE Hammer
Feb 8, '19, 7:40 AM
I have heard that Iphones don't like the Paypal buttons. I have come up with a solution - try a PC or a laptop.

kresge1
Feb 8, '19, 7:46 AM
All paid up
Dont refund my money this time :)

EMCE Hammer
Feb 8, '19, 7:59 AM
All paid up
Dont refund my money this time :)

Pending background check!

Bronxboykev
Feb 8, '19, 8:34 AM
Pending background check!

Ohhh Boyyy you’d wipe out most of the NY Contingent if that were the case lol

justzeg18
Feb 8, '19, 9:34 AM
I only ran into issues w/ the buttons when I followed the link from FB. When I went direct to the Meet page here on the museum, the buttons work just fine on the iPhone.

VintageMike
Feb 8, '19, 10:17 AM
Registered and booked. The idea of having a table for collection displays is cool, but I will most likley be flying this year. Edit: Pending getting the extra vaction days to break up the drive, I like the table display idea a lot. So, we'll see.

WannabeMego
Feb 8, '19, 10:22 AM
Berto is Booked...Year 16 for Him (inc. MegoCon), Year 15 for Me...and alot of Good Friends & Memories made along the way.

See Y'all in 125 Days ;)

EMCE Hammer
Feb 8, '19, 11:02 AM
I only ran into issues w/ the buttons when I followed the link from FB. When I went direct to the Meet page here on the museum, the buttons work just fine on the iPhone.

Thanks Zegmeister. Looking forward to seeing you again.

EMCE Hammer
Feb 8, '19, 11:03 AM
Berto is Booked...Year 16 for Him (inc. MegoCon), Year 15 Year for Me...and alot of Good Friends & Memories made along the way.

See Y'all in 125 Days ;)

Have you taught him how to tie a tie yet? How about "the talk?"

pmwasson
Feb 8, '19, 2:07 PM
Got a table, room, flight and car.

noelani72
Feb 8, '19, 3:21 PM
Hotel is booked for myself and The Boy.
Gotta discuss with council first regarding the State of Ohio vendor license procurement... ;-)

Random Axe
Feb 8, '19, 6:07 PM
Not sure if serious, but I've downloaded the vendor license application for OHIO. Is this really a step we need to take this year? If so, I can save everyone some searches for the business NAICS code, its 423920, toys and hobby.

PNGwynne
Feb 8, '19, 6:28 PM
Registered and booked, huzzah!

pmwasson
Feb 8, '19, 6:47 PM
Not sure if serious, but I've downloaded the vendor license application for OHIO. Is this really a step we need to take this year? If so, I can save everyone some searches for the business NAICS code, its 423920, toys and hobby.

Next year, Mego Meet Oregon == no sales tax

justzeg18
Feb 8, '19, 7:56 PM

I was leaning more towards 453310 used merchandise stores. ďThis industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in retailing used merchandise, antiques, and secondhand goodsĒ
Seems to fit what I do pretty dead on.

Brue
Feb 8, '19, 8:20 PM
registered for 2 tables and entry. I'll book room soon. Gonna stay Thurs night too so we can help set up as needed, go to custom dinner and be ready to set up and use the pool Friday.

as far as vendor licenses go:

If you are making casual sales of your stuff, you do not need to collect tax. I don't know if having a dealer table changes your status from casual seller. I personally sell stuff once a year, and it was my own personal stuff originally purchased with intent to make a profit. (most items sold at a loss)
https://www.tax.ohio.gov/taxeducation/selling_your_stuff.aspx

If you are making retail sales t a convention or festival, generally the state requires tax to be collected.
You can get a permanent $25 vendor's permit here:
https://gateway.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gateway/BusinessGateway/Home

Most people who do not make a living at conventions do not collect and remit tax. I am not giving you legal tax information. I am merely stating an observation.

added: the hotel may have a policy stating vendor's must be registered an collect applicable sales tax. a disclaimer that fulfills their requirement as a venue.

EMCE Hammer
Feb 9, '19, 3:15 PM
I am not a CPA, but I slept at a Super 8 last night.

I'm getting a lot of questions about the vendor license issue. When we were in Wheeling, EVERYTHING was run through Kruger Street. What little bit of money was left after expenses they gave to us, and that money combined with the raffle was what kept this place afloat. It wasn't much, but it didn't matter because our overhead wasn't much. There wasn't a lot to be concerned about having a toy flea market and raffle in a basement outside of Wheeling. When we moved to Skokie, we were the Aw Yeah Comics Mego Meet. Things were probably a little more tenuous there legally, but Aw Yeah is licensed and we were pretty much off the radar. Now we're hitting our fifteenth meet, and we have bona fide dealers and attendees coming from all over the country. EVERYTHING is running through me/the museum now - registration, the door, tables, the auction, contracts. I have a legal obligation to do things the right way. If ODoT makes a sweep and things aren't in order, they can and will shut down individual tables or the entire show. I haven't seen it happen personally, but I have heard of it happening and have been assured that is DOES happen.

Opinion mode: Brue makes a great point. I look at this as a spectrum with two ends. On one, there are the Ed Taubes, Mark Huckabones, Greg Masons, Dr. Megos etc. These are dealers who sell all over the country, and I have little doubt that they are required to have some kind of documentation. On the other end is someone like Brue, who lives up the street and runs his table like a yard sale - at one point I think he paid me to take something off his hands. I would think Chad and Sean fall here too. They show off the 3D printer, and maybe sell a head or part here or there. Guys like Darklord and Grimjohn who are there showcasing their awesome, elaborate displays aren't even in the conversation. Then there are the gray areas. Random Noir probably should have a license; John Farley who displays his customs and may or may not sell a figure or two probably doesn't. Maybe. I don't know where many of you are in relation to the being considered a toy collector vs. a toy dealer or both. I figured out where I fall by doing a Google search and doing a little reading.

Transparency mode: It was easy for me to take the reigns from Dave and run a Mego meet out of Wheeling. I never had any designs or desires to run a toy show or convention, but that is what this has turned into to accommodate the majority. There are a lot of great things that have evolved but it comes at a price. There's a helluva lot more work involved for the museum, and at least for some of you it's not as simple as loading up and driving to Wheeling anymore. The upside is left hand turns, wi-fi, Marty Abrams, and indoor plumbing. The downside is no more church ladies with their delicious chicken sandwiches, no Kruger Street intercom, and the casual camaraderie of a bunch of adults sweating over old toys in a basement isn't possible. So if you're bringing a few tables full of FTC, Mego, and other vintage items to sell you probably should look into getting a license.

Random Axe
Feb 9, '19, 3:27 PM
I'm down for licensing and will send the application this week. We'll see how fast they respond and I'll let everyone know I guess.

EMCE Hammer
Feb 9, '19, 3:35 PM
More transparency mode: I really wanted to be more educated on this, but Brian and I both were getting pushed to open registration and I would have preferred to wait a little longer. some of you kids are relentless.

noelani72
Feb 9, '19, 4:18 PM
all good points.
I have a couple items I am planning to bring - if they sell, they sell, if not, I am not sweating it....or the MegoSuite will be one helluva happening place this year haha.

I don't want to cause the boards any grief by not getting the license - I don't know what it entails, what it costs, what it means on my taxes, but dang - if I have to get a CPA to figure out taxes on five Pennywise action figure one-of-a-kind customs...well, I am going to charge/write-off hollywood-rate production costs for the design, the seamstress work, the manufacture and declare a financial loss.....all for a figure that is a bootleg at the end of the day. Even at $175 per figure I am going to break even ($100 per in just the suit alone and that's no lie. Wait till I unveil it!). We don't do it for the money, we do it to have a keepsake from one of our brothers or sisters. Mego Meet is not like other toy shows....

Brue
Feb 9, '19, 9:07 PM
it is not too complicated to get. it costs $25. It does not need renewed annually. I actually have a vendor's license for my business. i could present it if asked. if someone intends to claim sales they should collect 7.5% on sales and remit to ohio dept tax.

vendors license and sales tax remit on https://gateway.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gateway/BusinessGateway/Home

Bronxboykev
Feb 10, '19, 2:48 PM
If I read them correctly those of us coming from outside of Ohio would fall under the UT 1000 application which is free... Someone correct me if Iím wrong

Brue
Feb 10, '19, 9:01 PM
If I read them correctly those of us coming from outside of Ohio would fall under the UT 1000 application which is free... Someone correct me if I’m wrong

transient vendor is still $25. The vendor license is the small cost and minor headache. the bigger issue is collecting and remitting sales tax.

Type3Toys
Feb 10, '19, 9:52 PM
Type3Toys is booked.

Bronxboykev
Feb 11, '19, 4:55 AM
transient vendor is still $25. The vendor license is the small cost and minor headache. the bigger issue is collecting and remitting sales tax.

So any reporting of sales is Done via the honor system??? Is it safe to assume that?

VintageMike
Feb 11, '19, 11:43 AM
On a different note (if anyone cares, lol). I've made the final decision to fly in this year. I'd love to to display some of my collection and I know some people would like to see it. But after last year's calamity driving, playing it safe this year wins out. Also with the show growing larger (it's not just us anymore) I'm not going to feel comfortable leaving a table with thousands of $ of WGSH unattended. Also don't want to field unsolicated offers. Hopefully no one takes offense to that. But I know how difficult it is for a collector to see something you want right in front on you and not at least make an offer. No best way to deal with that is avoid it all together.

Brue
Feb 11, '19, 1:22 PM
So any reporting of sales is Done via the honor system??? Is it safe to assume that?

exactly!

EMCE Hammer
Feb 11, '19, 1:29 PM

http://www.artseven.ru/_gallery_img/6103.jpg

Bronxboykev
Feb 11, '19, 2:00 PM
exactly!

http://www.artseven.ru/_gallery_img/6103.jpg

Well Suffice to say as someone born and raised in the streets of the Bronx I have never attended any Boy Scout Meetings... and No Background checks!!! lol :wink_y:

Random Axe
Feb 11, '19, 4:45 PM
I'll have Ed and probably Chris Jeffries at our table again so I may pass myself off as Canadian and therefore exempt from puny Ohio taxation bylaws. I'll flash a Tim Horton's cup and brag about free health care and they should leave me alone.

SWBL5252
Feb 11, '19, 8:34 PM
Steve Bratton is registered to set up and looking forward to it.

ScottA
Feb 12, '19, 12:24 AM
Hotel reservation made.

I'll be getting in a day early on Wednesday this year. I want to spend Thursday hitting some places during the day so if you want to hang a while hit me up.

I can't wait to see everyone.

EMCE Hammer
Feb 12, '19, 1:21 PM
I'll have Ed and probably Chris Jeffries at our table again so I may pass myself off as Canadian and therefore exempt from puny Ohio taxation bylaws. I'll flash a Tim Horton's cup and brag about free health care and they should leave me alone.

If you've got George Lucas at your table you should be able to trade an autograph for safe passage.

Random Axe
Feb 12, '19, 4:35 PM
I am officially booked and tables paid. Normally I like to get in a day early but I think I'll be doing a Cincinnati tour of comic/toy shops with Austin again this year on Wednesday and then we'll head to Columbus Thursday.

Brue
Feb 12, '19, 6:40 PM
If we book the 13th as well, is that part of our rate?

Random Axe
Feb 12, '19, 9:25 PM
If we book the 13th as well, is that part of our rate?

It is. Thursday is the same rate as Saturday. three nights with tax came out to 370 dollars. pretty good pricing

Bronxboykev
Feb 13, '19, 11:21 AM
Even though the Hotel has locked off the 11th to the 16th you can only book from the 13th to the 16th, don't know if that's a glitch or they just didn't set the right date range.

EMCE Hammer
Feb 13, '19, 1:47 PM
Even though the Hotel has locked off the 11th to the 16th you can only book from the 13th to the 16th, don't know if that's a glitch or they just didn't set the right date range.

13th - 16th is right. When we contract for a block of rooms, we're committed to paying if they don''t sell, so I only put us on the hook starting Thursday night.

cjefferys
Feb 13, '19, 2:41 PM

We'll bring an extra toque for you to help you pass.

If you've got George Lucas at your table you should be able to trade an autograph for safe passage.

I'll bring extra pens!

I should be able to make it, just need to clear my schedule at work and check with Moe and Larry regarding the road trip. :wink:

ScottA
Feb 13, '19, 11:31 PM
13th - 16th is right. When we contract for a block of rooms, we're committed to paying if they don''t sell, so I only put us on the hook starting Thursday night.

This. I had to book Wednesday seperately at the regular ratem but it's all good.

Brue
Feb 15, '19, 9:13 AM
This. I had to book Wednesday seperately at the regular ratem but it's all good.

If you you can get Wednesday refunded, you can stay at my house Wednesday.

I have room for half a dozen guests, if anyone else wants to come in a day early or stay a day later.

I am between airport and MegoMeet 15/20 minute drive either direction.

I am staying at the Hotel Thurs, Fri, Sat. (booked today)

We love hosting people.

Mego Milk
Mar 13, '19, 2:21 PM
BOOKED!

famous cartoonist will be there.

Bronxboykev
Mar 14, '19, 12:26 PM
Does this mean... Alex Ross will be returning to Mego Meet!!! lol :wink:

BOOKED!

famous cartoonist will be there.

rche
Mar 14, '19, 2:10 PM
rche and Cip booked and registered. Looking forward to seeing everybody and building some customs in the suite. :hokay:

Brue
Mar 14, '19, 7:02 PM

that's cold. :smile:

Mego Milk
Mar 16, '19, 4:00 AM
hhmmm...

Mego Milk
Mar 16, '19, 4:01 AM

m...m...maybe.

megowgsh
Mar 16, '19, 8:36 AM
that's cold. :smile:

it sure is! Brrrrrrrrrrrr.

PNGwynne
Mar 16, '19, 8:46 AM
If you you can get Wednesday refunded, you can stay at my house Wednesday.

I have room for half a dozen guests, if anyone else wants to come in a day early or stay a day later.

I am between airport and MegoMeet 15/20 minute drive either direction.

I am staying at the Hotel Thurs, Fri, Sat. (booked today)

We love hosting people.

That's very generous.

noelani72
Mar 17, '19, 4:29 PM
hotel has been booked a while now, just got around to getting registered for the Meet. Myself and The Boy with 2 "dealer" tables..

SWBL5252
Mar 18, '19, 8:06 AM
Room booked for fri and sat night. They only had king with sofa bed listed FYI. Donít know if itís supposed to be that way at this point or not.

Expedia shows two beds available but price is higher.

Bronxboykev
Mar 18, '19, 8:53 AM
Give them a call see what they can do

Room booked for fri and sat night. They only had king with sofa bed listed FYI. Don’t know if it’s supposed to be that way at this point or not.

Expedia shows two beds available but price is higher.

PNGwynne
Mar 18, '19, 5:48 PM
I thought that the beds last year were excruciating, I ended up using the sleeper anyway.

Bronxboykev
Mar 19, '19, 9:38 AM
Hotel bed mattresses are always too soft in my opinion lol it's like an Olympic event for me just to get in and out of them lol

I thought that the beds last year were excruciating, I ended up using the sleeper anyway.

scott metzger
Mar 29, '19, 8:30 AM
Okay, I'm booked. Arriving Thursday late morning, leaving Sunday. Will also have a display table at the meet.

RobTMego
Mar 29, '19, 1:21 PM
All booked up, I have a car rental this time, I land thursday @ 2:15pm, so if any one need a lift? taxi last time cost about $30 one way, got rental for $71 for 4 days!!

Earth 2 Chris
Mar 30, '19, 3:12 PM
Hotel booked and registered for the Meet! At least 3 of the 4 Franklins will be there, according to the boy's work schedule.

Chris

cjefferys
Apr 16, '19, 7:54 PM
Finally booked my room. It looks like the Mego Meet block of rooms is sold out, so I had to pay a little bit more, but I still saved a bit with my AAA discount.

Bronxboykev
Apr 17, '19, 8:34 AM
Finally booked my room. It looks like the Mego Meet block of rooms is sold out, so I had to pay a little bit more, but I still saved a bit with my AAA discount.

Try and give them a call, I am pretty sure they will give you the meet rate. It can't hurt

cjefferys
Apr 17, '19, 2:10 PM
I tried that but no dice unfortunately. The same thing happened last year, and when I called, it worked and they gave me the Meet rate, but this time the lady on the phone said that there were no more available at that rate, but I could keep trying to call to see if any more open up. Oh well, if I have to end up paying an extra fifty bucks or so because I procrastinated, that's on me. Thanks for the advice though!

palitoy
Apr 17, '19, 2:32 PM
I have never gotten the MegoMeet rate and that's sad because I totally know before any of you. Stupid procrastination.

cjefferys
Apr 17, '19, 7:09 PM
Whoa, you are way more organized and regimented than I am, so that surprises me. :smiley1:

samurainoir
Apr 18, '19, 12:06 PM
Whoa, you are way more organized and regimented than I am, so that surprises me. :smiley1:

As the absolute worst of the Procrastibators, thank goodness you and Scott let me crash in your rooms for one night each last year, after the hotel had no rooms left. Y'all are good friends.

Ridiculously happy you're coming again this year.
(also ridiculously happy that Scott's got us all organized for this year's Meet)

megocrazy
Apr 18, '19, 12:10 PM
I also procrastinated and missed the block. Had an incredibly difficult time contacting them. When I finally got through they had such a terrible connection I opted to just go through their reservation call site rather than direct to the hotel.

After being told block was full chose to book next door at Quality Inn. It was about 1/2 the price and looks to be walking distance away. Didn't notice last year. It is across from Waffle House. Guess I'll see Austin every morning.

So flight, hotel, car, registered for Meet. In on Thursday morning, out on Sunday early. So about 6 weeks to go. See you there.

cjefferys
Apr 18, '19, 7:13 PM
As the absolute worst of the Procrastibators, thank goodness you and Scott let me crash in your rooms for one night each last year, after the hotel had no rooms left. Y'all are good friends.

Ridiculously happy you're coming again this year.

Right back at you buddy! Err, you've got a room this year, right? :wink:

WannabeMego
Apr 19, '19, 5:01 PM
Finally booked my room.

Awesome!!!

VintageMike
Apr 20, '19, 10:40 AM
I had a different type of procrastination, but it's been taken care of. It seemed like there was never a good time to book my flight/car. I finally said "screw it" as I did not want to pay more at the last minute or worse be stuck driving again. Luckily I did not wait too long and rates were still pretty low.

Adam West
Apr 23, '19, 9:10 PM
I promise to get to a Mego Meet (hopefully next year) so I can finally meet all of you. I am going to be in Italy this year during Mego Meet. So planning on next year and have an S.O. that I did not previously have who is likes my collection (she doesn't collect) but supports my collecting habits and appreciates it.

cjefferys
Apr 24, '19, 11:14 AM
Awesome!!!

Looking forward to seeing you again, sir! :yes:

Random Axe
Apr 24, '19, 3:29 PM
I'll be in Columbus THursday morning to possibly check out toy/comic shops prior to check in at 3PM. This Meet is going to he HUGE.

noelani72
Apr 25, '19, 8:46 PM
getting down to the wire - i have totally lost where we all left off on discussing the vendor licenses....since I got my tax ID for Illinois, I really dunno if I have to have one for Ohio now. When I filed my taxes for my "business" it has sections for out-of-state sales..

Brue
Apr 25, '19, 8:54 PM
getting down to the wire - i have totally lost where we all left off on discussing the vendor licenses....since I got my tax ID for Illinois, I really dunno if I have to have one for Ohio now. When I filed my taxes for my "business" it has sections for out-of-state sales..

If you are selling like a garage sale no permit needed.

If you are making retail sales at a convention or festival, generally the state requires tax to be collected.
You can get a permanent $25 vendor's permit here:
https://gateway.ohio.gov/wps/portal/...ssGateway/Home

And note: this is on the honor System. The state is not going to come and find you.

haggis
Apr 29, '19, 7:56 AM
Dang it! Waited too long to book the reserved rooms. Time to formulate Plan B! 😉

LonnieFisher
May 3, '19, 11:20 AM
Got a room booked somewhere, plane tickets bought, and registered today for the meet! I'm thinking about getting a table...

PNGwynne
May 3, '19, 6:36 PM
^I'm looking forward to meeting you!

Brue
May 3, '19, 8:10 PM
Got a room booked somewhere, plane tickets bought, and registered today for the meet! I'm thinking about getting a table...

Cool - haven't seen you since Wheeling 5 or so years ago.

pmwasson
May 4, '19, 12:29 AM

Awesome!

Flynne
May 8, '19, 1:57 PM
So, I mean, I'm booked for a room, and everything, sooooooo... yeah!

LonnieFisher
May 9, '19, 9:09 AM
Cool - haven't seen you since Wheeling 5 or so years ago.

That was ten years ago!

Brue
May 9, '19, 11:10 PM
That was ten years ago!
Time flies!

EMCE Hammer
May 10, '19, 9:01 AM
That was ten years ago!

You sat beside me for dinner at Hoss's - RIP - and only ordered mashed potatoes because you had an upset stomach. Later in the Mego Suite you showed me your Lizard, flesh tone and green and totally legit. I doubt that I will ever see another Lizard quite like yours Lonnie.

rche
May 10, '19, 12:02 PM
It is comments like this that make me truly appreciate the bonds that occur in the Mego Suite. :)

..... Later in the Mego Suite you showed me your Lizard, flesh tone and green and totally legit. I doubt that I will ever see another Lizard quite like yours Lonnie.

Bronxboykev
May 10, '19, 2:16 PM
What Happens in Mego Suite Stays in Mego Suit!!! lol

It is comments like this that make me truly appreciate the bonds that occur in the Mego Suite. :)

ScottA
May 12, '19, 11:10 PM
Registered and have my 2 tables so I'm all set Mr. Moore.

tiinacat
May 19, '19, 11:12 AM
Paid!😊😊

almitysufx
May 24, '19, 3:54 PM
Booked, registered, and i even went with a table. Not sure what will be on said table...might just be a place to nap, but i will be there.

Random Axe
May 25, '19, 10:49 AM
Booked, registered, and i even went with a table. Not sure what will be on said table...might just be a place to nap, but i will be there.

Awesome! I know what you could bring but you don't have any more so just bring yourself

PNGwynne
May 25, '19, 10:51 AM
Big fan of your suits, Ed--wish you were still doing them. Will be great to see you again!

MRP
May 27, '19, 10:43 PM
If you are driving in to Columbus on I70 coming from the west, be forewarned, there is a lot of construction an lane closures over the next month. We drove into Columbus yesterday, and an entire chunk of eastbound I70 was torn up down to sand and all traffic was shifted over to the westbound lanes for travel in both directions so there a lot of traffic bottlenecking into very few lanes in either direction.

Also tonight, we just had a tornado tear through the I70 corridor tonight around the area where it intersects I75 and near Wright Patterson AFB that has destroyed buildings and scattered debris over the area and downed a lot of power lines (and done some damage around Dayton Intentional Airport), so they will be cleaning up the next week or so, and it may affect travel patterns through the Dayton to Columbus corridor in addition to all the construction, so plan accordingly if you are driving though to get to Mego Meet. The storm damage should all be cleaned up by the time most people travel through, but the construction will till be there.

And now we are getting flood warnings in the area too, so that may mess things up more. Doesn't look like Columbus itself is being affected by the storms, but the interstates to Columbus from the west might be a bit troublesome, and the construction extends most of the way from Dayton to Columbus on I70.

-M

noelani72
Jun 3, '19, 6:03 PM
- edited..

meh, i finally figured out the Ohio vendor form and paid my $25. I'm covered juuuust in case.