Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I really want to go to MegoMeet '08, but...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Comic Book Geek
    Stays Crunchy in Milk
    • Aug 2, 2004

I really want to go to MegoMeet '08, but...

I've wanted to go to Mego Meet the last two years, and it's not that far from me, but the problem is this... about a year ago I made a decision to put a hold on my collecting until my two kid's fututre college education is paid for. I do OK, but I'm not made of money and I'm behind in this area. I'm also excessive compulsive and everytime I've tried to budget my collecting I've failed.

So I drew a hard line, and it's been pretty easy. I stay away from ebay and the marketplace. I wasn't sure I'd be able to stick around here and avoid temptation, but I haven't even been tempted. I love megos and all my mego memories, and this place has really inspired interest in the history of the company, and I'm amazed at discoveries that are still being made...

So why not go to mego meet? I could hang out with others that love megos and have the same warm spot in their hearts for these toys. Listen to mego talk, have fun hanging out...

The reason why I don't think I can go is... Did you see those tables full of Megos? The idea of walking into a room so full of Megos and mego related stuff i think would break me. I don't think I could not buy something. For the first time in quite a while... I really want a new Mego. So that's my story. Now i'm revealed as the non collecting mego collector.
    Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron
  • dumbldor
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 9, 2002

Don't bring any money with you.

If you have any extra parts or figures, bring them along with you to trade or sell.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Bring a budget, I brought what I wanted to spend and did alright. I could have gone HOG WILD I assure you and how I didn't go home with some of Charlie's stuff I'll never know. It can be done.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Wee67
        Museum Correspondent
        • Apr 2, 2002

No money really seems the best option if your prediliction is as strong as you say. I would worry that even sticking to a budget might open the floodgate.

That said, you seem to be pretty discipline about staying away from eBay and Marketplace. If you can maintain that, the a once a year, budgeted splurge might be a reward for a year-long discipline.

I didn't make it this year and what I missed was seeing my Mego bretheren. I don't get to sit back and talk dollies very often and to do it for an entire weekend was hard to pass up.

And that doesn't work, we can put up pictures of your kids at every table to guilt you into your budget
        WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• txteach
          Banned
          • Jun 17, 2005

I actually came to talk mego and meet the guys. Buying a lot of stuff was secondary (even though I did) to meeting everyone. I really think you could have a great time and not buy a single thing.

Comment

• Dave Mc
            Administrator
            • Oct 20, 2002

You could always send your child to a community college and just spend that cash.

Seriously though, I brought less this year than in past years. Sure there was stuff I wanted that I didn't buy. Just bring only what you are willing to spend. $5, $50, $500, whatever. Plenty of people go without a big budget. The buying is secondary. It's fun, but secondary.

Comment

• megoscott
              Founding Partner
              • Nov 17, 2006

If it was at all possible, saving up for Mego Meet would be worh it because there was so much great stuff and good prices. To be in a room filled with that many Megos is intoxicating. For myself, I have put my cash into the Dida displays (If I don't mass produce and make the money back that Batcave prototype will be the one of the most expensive Megos in my collection) and I put my Mego energy into doing trading cards and the website, so it was possible for me to not feel the need to buy a lot.

The comaraderie is worth the trip. Collecting, especially online collecting life can be very isolating and lonely in my experience. I think the face-to-face meeting and talking actually relaxes the compulsive spending urge.
              This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• The Sentry
                Persistent Member
                • Jun 3, 2007

Yeah I only brought 200 clams and STILL had a blast! The gas would be the only ***** I would think.

I agree, you can go on a shoestring budget and have fun!

Take it from a poor white boy like me!
                sigpic
                http://facebook.com/Lee.Harrah.99
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/HARRA...755356&sk=info
                [url]https://www.reverbnation.com/harrah99?profile_view_source=header_icon_nav[url]

Comment

• megojim
                  Permanent Member
                  • Oct 13, 2001

Boy would I love the chance to spend my life away at a Mego Meet!!

The following is Megojim's standard plea:
                  Please consider moving the date just one week forward or so!!
                  I cringe every year because I hear all these great stories and see the pics but I just can't make that date (1st weekend in June)
                  I know it's just me but I would really lavish a weekend of pure mego glutteny
                  I will buy the first round!!!!
                  I rest my case
                  -jim
                  Last edited by megojim; Jun 5, '07, 11:36 AM. Reason: i'm stupid
                  My Custom Figures

1 Corinthians 9:24 - Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!

Comment

• Flynne
                    Permanent Member
                    • Jan 22, 2003

Don't take a dime to spend if you don't want to. The purpose of the Meet is to meet everyone you've been chatting with for years. Hanging out in the MegoSuite is free, thanks to the generous Paul Clare. That's what we go for. Shopping is just icing on the cake.
                    An old Irish Blessing - "May those who love us, love us; and if they do not love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He does not turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, that we may know them by their limping"

Comment

• Goblin19
                      Talkative Member
                      • May 2, 2002

Budget yourself. I'm very cheap when it comes to lavishing something on myself. My wife is actually proud of me for spending some money on something I really wanted to do. At the end of the Meet, I still had a little left over from what I was willing to spend. I also made sure I was setting aside a small amount leading up to the event. It was worth it.

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
                        Stays Crunchy in Milk
                        • Aug 2, 2004

Thanks, and good advice all around. I'm sort of like an alcoholic when it comes to collecting. I say I'll only drink on special occasions, and then say "I'm drunk on a tuesday because my favorite episode of Gilligans Island came on." I've tried budgets and this has finally worked for me. Buy nothing. The Mego thing kept escalating. Things I said I'd never want I suddenly was obsessed with. I kept upgrading condition and just was never quite happy. A week without a package was torture. right now I only collect items that have a use. Comics can be read so I still have those, and honestly condition isn't that big a deal for me there. I live my toy buying craving vicariously through my son, so I have a reason to go to the toy aisle... I'm pathetic.

As for Mego Meet the expence of the weekend isn't the big deal. It was the weekly purchases that got me. i don't skimp on food and drink. I just made a choice to stop buying toys... for now. If I go next year, I'll be the guy that is either sad and pathetic in the dealer room, salivating excessively... or drunk on a tuesday night.
                        Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• megocrazy
                          Museum Trouble Maker
                          • Feb 18, 2007

A $10 a week direct deposit would net ya $500.00 by the time next year rolls around. I know how ya feel about the kids college as I have twins going into their sophmore years at two different technology colleges which is not cheap. I simply stopped buying on ebay and at local flea markets after I decided I was going and stashed as much money as I could away for the trip.
                          It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• dumbldor
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 9, 2002

$500 would get you a lot of nice stuff at Megomeet. The prices in general are more than fair. You might be surprised.

Comment

• Goblin19
                              Talkative Member
                              • May 2, 2002

$500 would get you a lot of stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡