X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MysteryWho
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 16, 2008

Mego Vs Emce

It's easy to choose whether or not to pick up the new Megos that are not based on previous Emce figures, depending on whether it's a license you are into. However, I'm not sure I want to pounce on all of the new Megos that re-use elements from Emce products. I thought the Emce stuff was great and I collected a lot of it. Mainly when it comes to Star Trek stuff, I am hoping to get feedback on how the new stuff compares with Emce. I want to hear from people who've purchased both what they think.
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

(I was worried when I first read the title of this thread... whew!)

I know there was a thread when the Mego 2.0 stuff first hit that had some rally good links to comparisons of the two companies Star Trek Chekov and Sulu figures and the differences between them, the most obvious being the new head connection. The boots are solid on the Mego releases, compared to hollow on the EMCE releases.

I have skipped the Mego 2.0 Star Trek wave one stuff because it's either similar enough to the EMCE items I have, or I had no interest (I have no room for variants, like the "Mirror, Mirror" Set). I did pick up the Mego 2.0 Wave Two Gorn though because I like the darker green, which made it different enough, and IMO, an improvement on the EMCE version. I look forward to seeing them side-by-side and will comment on that when I do.

Comment

• MysteryWho
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 16, 2008

Oh, sorry about the title. I'm not trying to stir the pot at all. This isn't a complaint thread, just wondering if I should stick with the Star Trek Emces, such as Sulu and Chekov, or pick up the new ones. The monsters I would probably buy regardless, as well as any other new licenses that I like. Some of the 14 inch stuff is beautiful also. But I don't want to buy stuff I already kinda got.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

My concern with the new Trek versions is that the tunic detailing is already inconsistent from wave 1 to wave 2. I'm buying Gorn though and all-in on the monsters.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

I picked up the Mego Mirror/Mirror set because I preferred the heads over the EMCE ones. EMCE started painting heads during that period and that didn't translate well for me. Now while the Mego Spock only has his goatee painted on (versus the EMCE version which had it sculpted in), I think the Mego version fits in better with the vintage stuff. I feel different on Mego Sulu and Chekov. They read like second generation copies of the production heads by EMCE. The features are softer and the heads slightly smaller than EMCE. Subsequently the features on the EMCE versions are sharp and look allot better. Just picked up Gorn today. Haven't gotten him out of the package yet but he looks tremendous. He reads better than the EMCE version, if for no reason other than the darker shade of green. Pulls out the features better and has a eye catching presentation at this scale. I like him. I might try and do a pictorial on him tonight. Haven't done one of those in a while.

Comment

• Mary Canary
            Career Member
            • Jun 21, 2017

Is EMCE the same as Diamond Direct? Or who did the repro figures that came in the plastic that you had to cut around to get them out? I have a Kirk and Uhura from that line. No real complaints other than Uhura's head seems sorta wobbly on her neck. I haven't opened my Mego Sulu to compare with the Kirk.

But I do want to get the new Spock. I'm not bothered by the change to screen printed insignia vs. the stick on kind. I wonder if they did that to distinguish him from the original 1970s release.

Comment

• MysteryWho
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 16, 2008

Emce was Doc Mego's company that put out a bunch a stuff a few years ago, including new Star Trek and the stellar Universal Monster series. Diamond Select Toys worked with Emce to make the Marvel Mego sets that finished recently. It sounds so far from what I'm hearing that the Sulu and Chekov might be great for those who missed the Emce run, but they aren't really essential if you have the previous ones. That's what I was driving at, whether I need the new ones when I have the old ones. In the case of the Mirror figures, I kept the Emce ones packaged, so the new set can be opened. And the Gorn does seem to be an improvement over the Emce, so that's one to grab. Might skip Sulu and Chekov. More thoughts?

Comment

• tllgn
                Persistent Member
                • Feb 6, 2010

this thread is interesting ,although i love the mego frankensein ,the emce one is more detailed ,i dont like painted heads but the emce paint brings out the fine lines ,the emce also has nice frankie
                boots and of course bolts on neck, and with detail metal strip on the back of his hands. the mego has a much better longer jacket ,i love the green on the head and body ,the action jackson black boots
                are ok
                with the gorn its the opposite ,the mego looks much better ,the green is screen correct ,the head is a tiny bit larger but works here ,and the phaser/communicator accessories are a nice classic mego touch,
                which the emce did not do .i love the emce figure ,but the mego one looks better

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

A little eye shading to the new Frankenstein Monster would have improved the head a lot, especially in comparison to the new Dracula.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎