Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doink1
    • Jul 31, 2014

Just being honest

I have been reading this forum for a while. During that time, there have been many threads regarding Figures Toy Company 8 inch figures which slam them because the heads are too big, crappy bodies, wrong likeness etc, etc, etc. Fine tooth comb type stuff

So... I was excited about the new Mego line. I have purchased dracula and now the new Frankenstein. I did like the dracula in the series 1 release. However, the rest of the line is no where near the quality of Figures Toy Company or even EMCE for that matter.

The new frankenstein is a perfect example. His skin is a day glo green, the paint on his face makes him washed out, no lift boots etc. It looks cheap. These remind me of the knock off military Lion Rock figures.

I just think the Mego 2018 figure are lazily assembled. I also realize that they are cheaper 12.99-14.99 figures. Our Target still has most of series 1 except for Dracula and 14 inch Wonder Woman

I will wait to see if I continue purchasing. Will Mego get new licenses? Quality increase?

Maybe I’m wrong on this... I’m just being honest what I’ve seen through wave 2.

Thoughts?
  • jayraytee
    Career Member
    • May 27, 2011

Originally posted by doink1
    ... heads are too big, crappy bodies, wrong likeness etc, etc, etc. Fine tooth comb type stuff
    First I don't think the criticisms of FTC is fine tooth comb type stuff. Its a balance between quality and price. Their quality is generally horrible (brittle bodies, strung too tight, etc) and their price is premium. They are like expensive knock offs.

The new Mego figures have a good price and the quality is generally pretty good, lower price than FTC (like half) and better quality than FTC (like double.) Where I think they do fall short is in the area of licensing choices, but that could be just that they got anything and everything they could afford to get.

The sculpts, scale and colors of the plastic and things like that are going to be hit and miss with all of these companies mainly because you can't undo it once it's manufactured and the manufacturing is done in China.
    My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by jayraytee
      First I don't think the criticisms of FTC is fine tooth comb type stuff. Its a balance between quality and price. Their quality is generally horrible (brittle bodies, strung too tight, etc) and their price is premium. They are like expensive knock offs.

The new Mego figures have a good price and the quality is generally pretty good, lower price than FTC (like half) and better quality than FTC (like double.) Where I think they do fall short is in the area of licensing choices, but that could be just that they got anything and everything they could afford to get.

The sculpts, scale and colors of the plastic and things like that are going to be hit and miss with all of these companies mainly because you can't undo it once it's manufactured and the manufacturing is done in China.
      agreed, how they do ten times better on quality for half the price of FTC is beyond me.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
        Often invisible
        • Jul 18, 2002

Something else to think about: FTC, or really CTVT, has been in the biz now for what? 10-15 years? That first round of Mad Monsters had LOTS of problems. They've had a lot of time to figure some things out with their factory. I can't deny that I find what they're producing currently to be leaps and bounds from the first few years they were in business. India bodies anyone?

Mego has been producing new figures in their factory for less than a year. They're aware of what's working and what's coming up short. It takes time for changes to be implemented. They're working on waves 4 and 5 right now and 3 is done, so anything they learned that needs to change from 2 will not show up in 3 but will be rolled in as they go along. They were pretty quick to change things for the 14" line when Batman came in and the neck needed to be fixed, and they're looking to fix other issues as well.

Neither Mego nor their product will be perfect out of the gate, but they're also paying attention to what went right. Dracula is an example of a home run figure and maybe Batman isn't, but they're on top of it. Just give it time.
        Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• sprytel
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 26, 2009

Whatever merit to your argument, you definitely lost me when you said "These remind me of the knock off military Lion Rock figures" as if that was a bad thing.

Comment

• Mary Canary
            Career Member
            • Jun 21, 2017

^ Waves 4 and 5? Swoooosh.

Comment

• Mego Newbie14
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 25, 2018

^Took the words right out of my mouth.

Comment

• doink1
                • Jul 31, 2014

not the actual military Lion Rock figures... those cheap china knockoffs..Combat man etc

I’m just curious where u die hard collectors are on Mego 2018. Marty has been in the game for a long time and I expected better... more like EMCE. (especially with Dr.Mego on board) It will be interesting to see if these last past 5 waves. Just an opinion...

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                  Often invisible
                  • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by Mary Canary
                  ^ Waves 4 and 5? Swoooosh.
                  I'm assuming. I could be totally wrong.
                  Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                    Still Old School
                    • Feb 14, 2008

I’m fine reading criticism and feedback for ANY mego format company as long as it’s legit but I admit I’d enjoy seeing more of a “same set of rules” for each of them. From my angle one can do no wrong and the other can’t do anything right despite clearly having their own warts and experience in the business. Both are amazing and both have things that clearly need attention. I have had issues with all of the companies and have also had amazing dream figures as well. Let’s try to avoid biases and call it down the middle.
                    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                      Invincible Ironing Man
                      • Feb 28, 2008

When comparing new Mego and EMCE, to me, EMCE is the winner, because of the quality. I know, they were more expensive and harder to get, but I prefered paying that little bit extra for the end result.
                      That said, I do have a couple of the new Megos, and am always open to things improving and giving it a chance to grow.
                      I am impressed with what is offered now for such a low price, that is absolutely true. So keep them coming, and I'll just pick one here and there, and do some customizing.
                      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• ubermanx
                        Career Member
                        • Jul 3, 2013

Originally posted by jayraytee

Brittle bodies? Are you talking about Bif Bang Pow figures that almost all of mine are broken somehow (especially hip pins)? Or are you talking about the 10 year old early lines at FTC? Or are you talking about all the ripped arm holes in some of my EMCE figures?

I'm not saying Mego, EMCE, or FTC is better or worse than any other but there is a serious anti-FTC bias around here. Especially from folks that might have bought those early FTC lines like the Space 1999, Happy Days, etc. revival crap bodies. I'm pretty sure if you look closely at ALL the products you can nit-pick issues everywhere.

~ Marty

Comment

• Mego Newbie14
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 25, 2018

I like both. I’ve heard about FTC past missteps but so far I really like what I’ve brought. No breakage problems or trouble standing them. And I have really enjoyed what Mego is producing. I think I’ve been lucky with the figures I’ve gotten. My tune may change if I start getting bad figures but right now I want both companies to keep up the good work.

Comment

• scott metzger
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 9, 2007

I will say, though, that if you look at the two Drac's, the new Mego has much better quality tailoring. I was going to try to switch the Diamond Drac's costume onto the new Drac figure, but realized the vest was basically just material cut into shape ans sewed without finishing. The whole costume, in fact, while good, does pale compared to more finished and detailed version on the new Mego Count.

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

Back in the 90's Jakks Pacific made perhaps the WORST LOOKING and WORST QUALITY WWF wresting action figures in the history of toymaking ……..

After a time they got better and are now a beloved line.

You can't fairly compare Mego with FTC because FTC has been at it for a lot longer time in the modern age …. When the were Classic TV Toys almost everything I bought from them was broken and crappy.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎