X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brue
    User without title
    • Sep 29, 2005

Is it Mego or ReMego?

I love that there are new figures under the Mego banner.

But are we treating them like Megos or ReMegos?

Here at the Museum the forum subheading is under ReMego.
    They aren't currently included in the Mego Gallery
    (One of my favorite things on the internet and what brought me to the Mego Museum)

Megos were bought for fun. Are these being bought for fun? There is constant talk about opening vs. not opening and cash value. How many of us bought Megos for collectable value in the 70's?
    (In today's hoarding age I don't forsee any of these increasing in value anyway. The reason some vintage Megos fetch high prices now is becuse they are the toys people remember playing with aas kids and werre a part of our cultural history - think about 90's comics for n idea of future value of thes toys)

When we were kids, you either found one at retail or you didn't. If you didn't, you looke again later. If finding one at retail is part of the appeal making these fun, buy them at retail.

My Mego story: (Skip to **************here for conclusion)

I got my first Mego (T2 Batman) fo my birthday when I was 7. My parents or Santa brought me 8 more over the next few years. I bought 4 more before they disappeared from stores completly. 13 WGSH that I PLAYED with for a 5 years. Then they went in 2 lunch pails for 15 years. It was not cool to play with them.

In 1992 I cme out of the closet and admitted to teh world I was a Geek. I displayed some star wars stuff on an end table. The I (errantly( began buying EVERY character from DC and Marvel I could get. I bought all the new star Wars figs. I bought 10 Toy Biz, 12 inch SW, and MAN other toys. Almost everything was displayed LOOSE on shelves and in dioramas.

Along with buyng all that new stuff I bought an Aquaman (T2) from the back of a magaizne in '96. I started buying and selling on eBay. I discovered the MegoMueum and Doc Mego. I completed my all*original WGSH collection (*except GG's bag which I lost in 1979).

I STILL TREATED THEM LIKE TOYS. They were displayed in rooms were they could easily be taken off the shelf (and were). They were no protected from dust. They were rearranged often.

During the time I was completing WGSH, I would get other figures and parts in "lots" bought on ebay. And so I started collecting the ALL. I pretty much did. Eventually I made built in shelves with plexi glass covers in a room finished in 2004. But THEY STILL GOT PLAYED WITH. Lily (if you have been to Mego Meet, you know her) could play with them anytime she wanted to. We REALLY played with them hard too. I would repair them as needed. Never once did I think - OH NO! I ccan't play wth my vintage Isis that I took off a card mint or she'll get dirty.

In 2000 I started selling almost lof of my 90's stuff. By 2007 my loose Mego collection was at it's most complete.
    Here is a pic of the 8" collection

Here is a pic of my collection in 2006

Just notice the whole top shelf is cropped out of that pic. C'est la vie. Waltons, Several AJ's, Dinah, BC, S&H, and ??? Maybe some Famous Covers stuff up there?
    PS - the Monsters, Some Knights, and some Robin Hood in the pic are Repos as well as the alter ego business suits.

In 2008 I started selling off my Megos except WGSH and Trek.

I continued to piece together unloved Megos and do some crude customs.

I have been to every Mego Meet in Wheeling, Chicago and Columbus. It has my annual trip with my daughter.

In 2018 I began selling off everything except a handful of items that are from my childhood.

I bought a new Mego Dracula - just because I could. It was fun to get it at Target. I didn't go openng day. I went when I had to buy clothes for my kids. That's the only time I could go to the store as a kid -when my Mom NEEDED to. I wanted Dracula most of the set, so I was glad to find him. I would have bought a different one if he wasn't there. My kids wanted me to buy a couple 14" dolls. I did the same thing my mom did. Said "No."

I think I'll ask for one for Christmas.

If we have unlimited access to buy them all NOW, it just isn't the same.

Megos are fun. If they aren't fun they aren't Megos.

If they are Megos, let's include them in the Galleries and the actual Mego forum.
    Last edited by Brue; Sep 18, '18, 9:24 AM.
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

They have been given a new wing at the Museum right here:

I'm not wading into any sort of debate on the subject because this is the hobby that I use to reduce my daily stresses, it's just going to be fun. I refuse to politicise it in any manner but we think a 35-year gap is worthy of another wing.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
      Moderation Engineer
      • Aug 14, 2003

Spot the pattern

original Spock/EMCE Spock/2018 Spock
      original Dorothy/2018 Dorthy
      EMCE Sulu/2018 Sulu
      Norm

Or we can have a really important debate about it, which will inevitably disintegrate into anger and hard feelings.

Comment

• TRDouble
        Permanent Member
        • Jul 10, 2012

For me, they are just TOYS! or, specifically, action figures... but these are really dolls... shhhhhh....

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

Great post, Brue.

Doc wants it to be uniform "Mego", and technically that's correct. The problem, to me, is to go the "Mego is back and it's the same company" route, then these first products needed to be like the Museum's '78 catalog. The extension needs to bridge back in time and act like the past 35 years was simply Marty hitting the pause button. It requires a slavish approach to packaging and the inclusion of 4" figures.

I've bit my tongue because it's early but I'm not sure how much the current trajectory is going to change minus Target. Marty is obviously big on retail presence, but the focus needs to move away from kitsch, cuz kitsch is getting them hammered. Kitsch works when its figurines, not playable toys. Right now, Mego is targeting (take that pun), neither.

4" Cheers figures with a bar set that's a nod to the Kenner SW Cantina playset, ala Super7, would be kitsch that sells to the masses because it works on several levels. It's a Star Wars gag for adults who remember/own the playset. It's a display for anyone with a bar/entertainment area or sit on a shelf next to a DVD collection. It's a figurine diorama designed to callback to a toy, but using the license for something no one would associate as a toy line.

If they don't want to go that route, then it has to be "we're an f'n toy company" and everything needs to be geared towards kids. Playing the middle is short sighted.

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

I kinda like Son of Mego

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

I can only speak for myself (and people here who know me, know that I advocate opening toys and playing with/enjoying them): "Mego" to me is vintage Mego. FTC/CTVT, Emce, Biff Bang Pow, Castaway, Matty Retro-Action, and Mego Corp. are "reMego." Neca IMO is its own thing, a sort of knock-off.

For good or ill, I have a set idea of what a 1/9 "Mego figure is/could be, and I consider reMegos according to that personal criteria. That said, I'm mostly thrilled to have all these various lines and figures--so many playable/displayable reproductions, and hundreds of custom options.

Sometimes I think of Mego in terms of Masters if the Universe. If there were a Masters of the Universe Museum, I suspect that vintage MOTU would be separate from reproduction, Classics, 2003 relaunch, and 3 3/4 versions. Just for utility and sake of discussion.
              Last edited by PNGwynne; Sep 18, '18, 1:46 PM.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Brue
                User without title
                • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
                They have been given a new wing at the Museum right here:

My question is one of curosity, not argumentative.
                And I suppose it is for each to decide where they fit in.

I'm not wading into any sort of debate on the subject because this is the hobby that I use to reduce my daily stresses, it's just going to be fun. I refuse to politicise it in any manner but we think a 35-year gap is worthy of another wing.
                I am not trying to rasie debate or politicize. Sorry to come off that way.

I just know we are excited about the return of Mego. If it is Mego, why not treat it like Mego? Maybe they aren't "Mego" and so we treat them differently.

I have been to the new wing. I like that it is there, but it still is separated from the Mego Galleries. I would love to see them here:

or how aboutt a link to the megocorp in the index.

The style of the Megocorp page is very newsletter-ish as opposed to the facts and severl pictures gallery pages. Is there a plan to add photos of loose figures and accessories?

Comment

• Brue
                  User without title
                  • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                  Spot the pattern

original Spock/EMCE Spock/2018 Spock
                  original Dorothy/2018 Dorthy
                  EMCE Sulu/2018 Sulu
                  Norm

Or we can have a really important debate about it, which will inevitably disintegrate into anger and hard feelings.
                  I could not spot the pattern.
                  Is it what you are trying to point out is some are re-releases and some are not?
                  Is what we argue about -what should be included? I would have assumed anything that comes out on "Mego" card regardless if it was released before. Maybe I am off.

And I realize SOMEBODY ELSE -not me- makes the Museum decisions, entries, changes, forums, and galleries. I appreciate that.

Comment

• Brue
                    User without title
                    • Sep 29, 2005

I think I can gather from the 6 replies, that these are not really "Mego". They also aren't really "re-Mego". They are something in between.

I brought the question up because I want them to be rea Mego. But I realize that probably can't be.

Comment

• palitoy
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Brue
                      I am not trying to rasie debate or politicize. Sorry to come off that way.
                      I should have clarified that I've recently watched this discussion devolve on social media, so I don't care for it from experience, not from your approach. I just resolved to focus on what we all can agree on.

Originally posted by Brue
                      I have been to the new wing. I like that it is there, but it still is separated from the Mego Galleries. I would love to see them here:

or how aboutt a link to the megocorp in the index.

The style of the Megocorp page is very newsletter-ish as opposed to the facts and severl pictures gallery pages. Is there a plan to add photos of loose figures and accessories?
                      Wordpress is the format we're going with, it should not be taken as any kind of slight?

We built the MM gallery pages over 20 years and I've been dumped with a ton of new information and a smattering of photos in the last 60 days. I think your expectations of my daily work output are highly flattering but not at all realistic.

As they say, Rome wasn't built in a day.

I've put in a heroic amount of my personal time promoting Mego and maybe this is just my current headspace but this kind of commentary feels like a big red C- on my paper?

Comment

• Brue
                        User without title
                        • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
                        I should have clarified that I've recently watched this discussion devolve on social media, I don't care for it from experience. I just want to focus on what we all can agree on.

Wordpress is the format we're going with, it should not be taken as any kind of slight?

We built the MM gallery pages over 20 years and I've been dumped with a ton of new information and a smattering of photos in the last 60 days. I think your expectations of my daily work output are highly flattering but not at all realistic.

As they say, Rome wasn't built in a day.

I've put in a heroic amount of my personal time promoting Mego and maybe this is just my current headspace but this kind of commentary feels like a big red C- on my paper?
                        Wel,l I give you an A (I'd give you an A+, but I want to give you room to grow).
                        I truly do appreciate the amount of work put into the MegoMuseum. I know I'm a taker here, not a giver. So thanks.

Comment

• palitoy
                          • Jun 16, 2001

It's all good, I don't mind people telling me what they'd like to see, just as long as they understand I'm going to take it into consideration and then do what my gut says is right.

Linking the classic and modern galleries will happen, that goes on Robyn's "honey do" list when she finds the time. I'll probably link some of the character specific pages as well but I'm not really looking forward to it, it's "Conan Wheel" level of boring.

I do plan on improving the 2018 galleries when I get time to breath, that's not complaining BTW, it's just an incredibly busy time.

Comment

• The Bat
                            Batman Fanatic
                            • Jul 14, 2002

Marty Abrams is involved so...it's MEGO!!!!!
                            sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

To me New Mego is Mego: The Next Generation, just like Star Trek TOS and TNG. Especially the early seasons. There's some important connective tissue to the original, but it has its own flavor as well as callbacks to the original line.

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎