X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Random Axe
    The Voice of Reason
    • Apr 16, 2008

Sculpey question

I've been using a form of clay that air hardens and does not require baking. It's okay for simple stuff, but it's not easy to work with. I'm planning on picking up some super sculpey tomorrow, but had a question first.

It's been years since I've used this stuff. If I use it to add musculature to an existing type 2 body or to make modifications to an existing or resin head, will baking it damage the figure itself? I don't know at what point plastic or resin melts. I was going to experiment with a t2 fig tomorrow and make him all buffed out, but will cancel if you guys have other ideas. Any help is appreciated.

I also used something called miliput a decade or so ago, but that's probably obsolete now.

Scott
    I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.
  • ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

>If I use it to add musculature to an existing type 2 body or to make modifications to an existing or resin head, will baking it damage the figure itself?

Yes.

>I also used something called miliput a decade or so ago, but that's probably obsolete now.

It's still around; although where I live it's a LOT easier to get the Tamiya epoxy putty. (It's the same stuff, really.) Of you're modifying an existing part, epoxy putty is the way to go. It's expensive though. If I'm building something entirely from scratch I usually make the basic part in Super Sculpey ('cos it's cheap) and add detail in epoxy putty.

Don C.

Comment

• BlackKnight
      The DarkSide Customizer
      • Apr 16, 2005

I Know I like to Boil my SuperSculpty... I feel Like I have a bit more control when doing so. with Boiling Sculpty I have had great Success with boiling it over resin pieces,.. but have not tried Rubber,.. or plastic.. But whenever I make something outta Sculpty I mold it. When something is a Perminate added piece to an exsisting resin piece,.. I use Magic Sculpt,.. drys in 4 hrs,.. sand smooth, & then it's read for paint.
      ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Cosmicman
        Permanent Member
        • Jul 12, 2005

The trick to not damaging the figure is easy.

First, you mold what you want with the sculpey to the figure/head. After it is done, you get one of those long lighters that you light the grill with and heat up the sculpey section by section. That way you are not baking the figure.
        This is how I do it and it works fine. If you blister it from too much heat, just wait til the sculpey is hard and take some sand paper over it.
        More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• jessica
          fortune favors the bold
          • Nov 5, 2007

Wow!! I learn something everyday here! I love this place!! I would use baking sculpey and then I would wrap whatever it was I didn't want to melt in foil and toast it in my toaster oven. The foil would sometimes mess up the unbaked sculpey, so I ended up switching to Apoxie. I'm definitely going to try that lighter method.
          Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
          Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
          1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
          1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• Cosmicman
            Permanent Member
            • Jul 12, 2005

These things work like a charm Jessica.

Don't use a regular lighter because it gets too hot and it breaks off in your hand and you wind up burning your fingers. Painful lesson I learned.
            More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• jessica
              fortune favors the bold
              • Nov 5, 2007

T3T, if you are working in very thin layers of sculpty, how long do you hold the blowdryer against the medium? I have heard a whole hour, but I think that's overkill which is why I have never tried it...
              Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
              Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
              1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
              1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• spiderrogue
                new mego-er
                • Feb 3, 2008

i used to use a two setting heat gun...30 bucks...but now, for the most part, i boil anything that i need instead. it's faster and easier. ive burnt a few pieces with the heat gun before..lol...

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

I've done lots of boiling by heating up a pan of water in the microwave till boiling, shutting of the MW and putting the figure in the pan of water in the closed MW. closing the door keeps the heat in and helps the sculpey cure better.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Megospidey
                    Museum Webslinger
                    • Jul 26, 2006

I use no-bake Apoxie sculpt. It comes in two parts - you pick off 2 equal parts, mush them together, and sculpt. It has about a 2 hour working time.

Next day, it's hard as a rock and it adheres to all Mego plastics, as well as wood, metal, resin, etc. Sands easy too.

Works like a charm for me. And no heating or baking.

Here's where I get it: http://www.avesstudio.com 8 ounces for $8 usually lasts me 6-8 months.

Comment

• nightowlghoul
                      • Jul 21, 2007

Originally posted by Megospidey
                      I use no-bake Apoxie sculpt. It comes in two parts - you pick off 2 equal parts, mush them together, and sculpt. It has about a 2 hour working time.

Next day, it's hard as a rock and it adheres to all Mego plastics, as well as wood, metal, resin, etc. Sands easy too.

Works like a charm for me. And no heating or baking.

Here's where I get it: http://www.avesstudio.com 8 ounces for $8 usually lasts me 6-8 months.

Thats exactly what I use . It's the best!
                      For alterations and some sculpting.
                      If starting from scratch I use Toy wax or sculpey firm.
                      Justin

Comment

• livnxxxl
                        Megoholic RocketScientist
                        • Oct 23, 2007

It seems as if I had read somewhere that Sculpey has a tendancy to lose the original shape a bit. It was recommended that Fimo be used instead as Fimo is not supposed to shrink. Is any of the above true or just a bunch of BS? I use Sculpey and Super Sculpey and I personally have noticed some deformation. I have yet to bother with Fimo as of yet. Can anyone here that uses either or both confirm this for me?
                        Last edited by livnxxxl; May 7, '08, 11:19 PM.
                        Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
                          Pat Troughton in disguise
                          • Nov 21, 2007

Miliput is still available mostly from model shops..there are about 5 or 6 different types now.
                          ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• Random Axe
                            The Voice of Reason
                            • Apr 16, 2008

Okay, if I'm reading these posts correctly, sculpey will harden and cure while in boiling water? I always thought it had to be dry to cure. If this is the case, I'll be doing a ton of sculpting now that I can add to existing resin or plastic and just boil till it hardens.

If this boil treatment works, then WOO HOO!

Scott
                            I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎