Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speculation: What If Mego gets Disney/Marvel/Fox deal?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

Speculation: What If Mego gets Disney/Marvel/Fox deal?

Now that Disney is buying Fox, that gives them a powerful assortment of action movies especially the fact that the get Planet Of The Apes. Since EMCE was doing the Marvel figures to test the waters could Doc convince Disney to let Mego release classic style Megos of both Marvel & Planet of the Apes since they started the business in the first place. Could we see Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Aliens, Predators, American Horror Story, Die Hard so many series to take a guess at.

I know that the collectors on this site would LOVE to buy Mego Marvel figures for $15 done in the classic version, but what about the other Fox deals??

For me I would buy Marvel & Planet of the Apes. Growing up we did not get into the Apes. When the were redone I was not into collecting ReMegos, and really just did not see them on the shelves. So If I could get a third chance to bite at that apple I would bite.

As for other Fox products I would have to see what they look like. What would are your thoughts?
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log
  • ZombieJimC
    Persistent Member
    • Mar 12, 2014

Would love to see this. As I have said a couple times on FB Mego Ambassador page I believe Hasbro will control the POTA and all the newly acquired Disney Fox rights. I would love to hear Docs thoughts on this license issue. I would absolutely love to see Mego do Marvel and POTA in 8 inches. These are my top 2 wants.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 20, 2011

Since FTC seems to have the DC License for 8", cloth-bearing superheros and heroines all tied up, I would dearly love to see Marty and Doc get in with Disney/MARVEl, especially if D/M sees that there is a market that they are missing out on (and to me, they are; with the current wave of popularity of MARVEL's properties, who couldn't imagine both retro and new versions of 8" cloth-and-plastic clad MARVEL characters flying off store shelves at amazing speed). With Disney's acquisition of FOX and it's various properties, I would imagine that there should be no reason NOT to see MARVEL characters sharing pegs with characters from BUFFY, FIREFLY, ALIEN, AHS, RHPS, AVATAR and whatever else Disney wants to cash in on. I, for one, would be all for it and hope that it can happen sooner rather than later....
      sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

I think they should move the opposite direction on body scale and do 10 inch figures. It would be a fun scale to explore Marvel and DC characters.

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

So, read this to understand the codependency between Hasbro and Disney. Here's a paraphrase of the end summary.

Whilst the association with Disney has in many ways been a boon to Hasbro, it has also had one negative side effect – Hasbro began to rely to a major degree on Disney’s movie IPs for its innovation program for Action Figures and Fashion Dolls. Given the vulnerability of cable and movie-driven IPs, the question is whether Hasbro is recognizing this and is taking corrective action...

...Hasbro continues to be extremely dependent on movie IPs for its longer-term Action Figure and Girls program. Both categories accounted for 45% of total sales last year and are expected to clock in at 46% this year.

If the trends we have seen for cable and cinema audience numbers persist and continue to have an effect on toy sales, then Hasbro’s business objectives will begin to diverge from those assumed by Disney. Hasbro will have little choice except to develop business opportunities outside the Disney orbit and Disney will resist this because this diversification is likely to come at its expense. As we have seen in the case of Mattel (NASDAQ:MAT) – Barbie versus Disney Princess – Disney does not take kindly to situations where its interests are in direct conflict with those held by its partner.
          This article from a year ago, so it should help explain why they bought Fox. The Disney pattern is everytime business stalls, they make a huge buy. We could see a purchase of Hasbro in the next year due to the TRU fallout, or the Mattel/Hasbro merger finally happens.

I don't see Hasbro relinquishing rights the way Mattel does, but nobody has Marty's connections either. If Matty bought Hasbro or vice-versa, I don't know if both DC and Marvel rights could remain at one entity. Depending on FTC's contract, a MattyBro could really increase their value to someone like NECA.

To answer your original question, it's better to corner the 8-inch market and make Disney contact Mego. A growing Mego section in Target is valuable real estate this holiday season. If Hasbro sales stall without TRU and Mego moves strongly, there's an opening.

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ Excellent insight! Thanks for the article and context. That really clears the perspective measurably.

Comment

• Madcap70
              • Dec 4, 2017

Originally posted by hedrap
              So, read this to understand the codependency between Hasbro and Disney. Here's a paraphrase of the end summary.

This article from a year ago, so it should help explain why they bought Fox. The Disney pattern is everytime business stalls, they make a huge buy. We could see a purchase of Hasbro in the next year due to the TRU fallout, or the Mattel/Hasbro merger finally happens.

I don't see Hasbro relinquishing rights the way Mattel does, but nobody has Marty's connections either. If Matty bought Hasbro or vice-versa, I don't know if both DC and Marvel rights could remain at one entity. Depending on FTC's contract, a MattyBro could really increase their value to someone like NECA.

To answer your original question, it's better to corner the 8-inch market and make Disney contact Mego. A growing Mego section in Target is valuable real estate this holiday season. If Hasbro sales stall without TRU and Mego moves strongly, there's an opening.
              I just want Hasbro to sell Rom to Marvel they are making a joke out of him...

Comment

• Mary Canary
                Career Member
                • Jun 21, 2017

I was thinking how cool it would be to have Tron or Tron Legacy Mego figures. I know Disney has a hold on Marvel and Star Wars, arguably their 2 biggest properties. But I really don't see them licensing smaller properties like Tron or Black Hole either.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I think Tron would have shelf appeal.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mary Canary
                    Career Member
                    • Jun 21, 2017

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                    I think Tron would have shelf appeal.
                    I do too! With Light Cycles!

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢