X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toothaction
    Career Member
    • Jul 15, 2017

Tricorder accessory

Would someone please school me on the history of the 8" scale tricorder accessory?

I certainly don't remember it from youth, so I'm presuming that it was born in the age of customs and repros.
    >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Vintage Trek figures (Spock, McCoy, Uhura) included a light-blue tricorder.

The Emce Romulan repro included a unique red tricorder along with its standard red weapons belt.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• toothaction
      Career Member
      • Jul 15, 2017

Thanks, PNG! I had all 3 of those as a tot and managed to loose all memory of the little pretty. Probably lost the pretties right quick, too.
      >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

You're welcome, my memory is getting spotty, too and I had to double check my figures. I always liked the detail and strap of the tricorder accessory, and it appealed to me on the show because it was a scientific tool, not a weapon.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
          Trek or Treat
          • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          Vintage Trek figures (Spock, McCoy, Uhura) included a light-blue tricorder.

The Emce Romulan repro included a unique red tricorder along with its standard red weapons belt.
          Mego also gave the original Klingon a red color tricorder, but not the Romulan, although EMCE did give the Romulan repro
          a red tricorder.

Some folks wonder why not black phasers and tricorders like in the series? I think it's because the crew had black pants and black weapons belts, so black weapons just wouldn't look right, I liked the choice of the powder blue for the crew and red for the Klingon's.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

I think you're mistaken about the Klingon tricorder.
            Last edited by PNGwynne; Aug 22, '18, 9:55 PM.

Comment

• TrekStar
              Trek or Treat
              • Jan 20, 2011

I'm pretty sure original mego Klingon was given a red tricorder, I will double check on this though.

The EMCE Romulan came with a black weapons belt with a red phaser and communicator with red tricorder
              not a standard red weapons belt, the original Romulan was not given a red tricorder, but I will check on that too.

Comment

• TrekStar
                Trek or Treat
                • Jan 20, 2011

(Yes) you are correct, mego did not give the Klingon a red tricorder, don't know what made me think they did?

I thought I read somewhere that the later released Klingons (1979) were given red tricorders, but apparently not.

I guess I'm off to the neural neutralizer for some agonizing punishment, I'm not a true mego Klingon historian.
                Last edited by TrekStar; Aug 22, '18, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎