X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

How are sales at your Targets?

How are the new Megos moving at your Targets? I have only checked one in the last week or so (today) since returning from vacation.

I am curious as to who is selling in what parts of the country.

This is what is left at my local Target:
    • Four left: Norm, Peg Bundy, Charlie's Angels Kelly Garrett, 14" Harley Quinn
    • Three left: Tootie, AJ, Jeannie Set, 14" Batman, 14" Zod
    • Two left: Charmed Piper, Fonzie, Alice
    • One left: Hendrix, Trek Set
    • Sold out: Sulu, Chekov, Dracula

I bought one Hendrix, AJ and Zod at this store, so no one else has purchased a Zod or AJ at my store.

I am surprised Harley Quinn didn't sell at least one. Same with Norm.

I thought Jeannie would sell more than one. The Trek set is probably going to sit for a while due to Kirk's eye paint app.

So just under 48% of the 8" single carded figures have sold (if my math is right!), which I think is pretty good, especially for a out of the way Target.

What's moving (or not) at your favorite Target(s)?
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

My Target must have recently restocked. The Belas and the individual Trek figures were already gone again, but the 2-packs and the 14-inchers (which had previously been sold through) were back... along with a couple other figures that weren't there before. Which is to say... your store's sales may even be better than your numbers suggest.

Comment

• Iron Mego
      Wake Up Heavy
      • Jan 31, 2010

I definitely know mine has been restocked, because I found Drac, which I didn't see last time, and there were way more Fonzies, Sulus, and Chekovs than the last time I went to this particular store. Kinda makes it hard to tell what's been sold, but I see that as a good sign.
      Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• TRDouble
        Permanent Member
        • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by sprytel
        My Target must have recently restocked. The Belas and the individual Trek figures were already gone again, but the 2-packs and the 14-inchers (which had previously been sold through) were back... along with a couple other figures that weren't there before. Which is to say... your store's sales may even be better than your numbers suggest.
        That’s a good point I missed in my original post, about restocks, which others have also reported.

Although I am sure my store hasn’t been restocked. And I doubt they get a second shipment due to the stores’ location.

Comment

• ODBJBG
          Permanent Member
          • May 15, 2009

I'd say movement in my local Targets has been... alarming, though not entirely unexpected given the selection of characters. I have real doubts we'll ever see a restock. Which makes me think there really won't be a Wave 2 or 3, to be honest. You need to sell through a fair amount to trigger a restock and right now all of my stores appear to have sold out of Dracula and have sold 1-2 other figures. The 14" stuff has moved reasonably well, but not earth shatteringly. Still even a wonky 14" Batman seems to sell much better than Alice the maid.

If it takes a couple months for these figures to sell through enough for a restock and they restock with more of the same, they'll sit there until they're clearance I fear.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I really think when the book is written on this revival chapter of Mego, the poor selection of characters and high volume of female characters will be pointed to as the cause of the fall.

Mego has done more right than wrong in this revival, but the missteps they've made could be fatal ones, IMO.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

I wouldn't put flowers on the grave just yet.

It's been two weeks, I do retail turns on licensed products for a living, nobody should expect empty end caps straight away. Store traffic is about to massively increase as fall kicks in and well, some stores won't perform, it happens but you have to judge performance globally.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• ODBJBG
              Permanent Member
              • May 15, 2009

Agreed, to some extent. I think the real test will be if they're allowed to keep the endcaps. If they stay on endcaps through December, sales will pick up. If they end up forced onto one or two pegs in the aisle, it's curtains.

Comment

• TrekStar
                Trek or Treat
                • Jan 20, 2011

My local Target is not even selling any new megos, I've asked multiple times and they say, we have nothing in that item
                and there's no confirmation that we ever will be carrying these. If I want any I would have to go online, kind of wanted to avoid that, because it would have been pretty sweet going to a store toy department and seeing mego action figures.

Comment

• palitoy
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Target wanted an exclusive, then they guarantee that space on the planogram. I negotiate this stuff all the time, I'm pretty sure that the Mego staff is competent enough to have the same clause.

I work with major retailers every day on inventory, it is silly to predict these worst case scenarios after two weeks in the summer, so let's stop predicting failure based on zero data.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                    Permanent Member
                    • May 15, 2009

Closer to 4 weeks in these parts and multiple stores. So zero data is inaccurate. Granted, it's anecdotal, but at least grounds for a hypothesis. Absolutely, only time will tell and I'm hoping for the best, but I'm also not going to bury my head in the sand to trends I'm seeing locally. Certainly I'm open to the fact that it may be different in other markets, though. I know some people have reported more robust sales. Which is encouraging. But this is far from my first rodeo and you certainly can compare similar trends. NECA's entrance to Target is a great example. At least locally, most of my stores are either completely wiped out of product or drastically reduced. I'm certain the coupon code they had helped with that, but it's still worth noting that there's been a pretty stark difference in how the two companies were able to move product in a similar time frame. Similar results with Ducktales, though they started to show up a week or two before Mego.

I've just not necessarily seen the sort of movement I would have liked. Maybe Target is happy. Maybe Mego is happy. I can't say for certain. I can only comment on what I've seen and what in my decades of experience usually sets the groundwork for trouble. Your mileage may vary.

I'd love to hear some other folks reports from the ground.

Comment

• palitoy
                      • Jun 16, 2001

My mileage is my experience and training. You personally have no data (nor do I) and just compared an established brand with a huge social media presence and following to one just reintroducing itself to the retail landscape. I can tell you what right now, that ain't apples to apples.

Nobody said you had to bury your head in the sand but there is no need to connect your local observations to such specious reasoning.

Show me a velocity report and I can predict the future, other wise, it's all eye balling and not useful.

Comment

• tmthor
                        God of Knock-offs
                        • Nov 29, 2005

No Targets around me have them yet.

Comment

• TrekStar
                          Trek or Treat
                          • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by palitoy
                          Target wanted an exclusive, then they guarantee that space on the planogram. I negotiate this stuff all the time, I'm pretty sure that the Mego staff is competent enough to have the same clause.

I work with major retailers every day on inventory, it is silly to predict these worst case scenarios after two weeks in the summer, so let's stop predicting failure based on zero data.
                          Zero data? my info is based on what the Target employees and management is telling me what the data is at this particular location which is practically in my back yard, I was just sharing the info here, it's not that big of a deal, if I want any of the new megos I'll just go online and take my chances, the store would have been more convenient.

Comment

• hedrap
                            Permanent Member
                            • Feb 10, 2009

Five stores within 20 mintues, haven't seen any on the shelf but I know they're in the storage. Two of them are going to have more space when they clear the liquidation rows and endcaps. My questions is if wave 1 isn't put out until September, what about wave 2 in October? Would they be put out at the same time or will the delay kick wave 2 back. If that happens, Wave 3 won't make the holidays.

Comment

• boss
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 18, 2003

You’re talking to Target management?
                              Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎